Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

EmpJJ starting Door Pods

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 09:45 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
EmpJJ Door Pods

I started working on fiberglass door pods for both midrange and midbass drivers. Im going to be using the CDT ES-07 for midrange and Hertz Hi Energy HV200 as midbass. The cdt will be IB and the hertz will be sealed. Ive only started so don't trip on how it looks because the face has yet to even begin.

Just made the cutout for the pod and seeing how it looks on the door and what will hit. Also did measurements to see how far in the door we can fiberglass.

Prepping for fiberglass by tapping off the panel

Test fitting the already glassed "pod" in the door. Both luckily fit well and now they are ready for more fiberglass to give it the support

2 more layers of fiberglass for the support

this is from a while back just never posted it. hoping to do some more work soon. Oh and i decided on the blue Kevlar/carbon fiber

Just did the last step before doing the front portion of the pods. I threw in some Second Skin Luxery Liner Pro on the outer door panel along with a bit on the innermost plastic panel as well. So far i've only done the drivers side and i'm going to tackle the pass side in a few days. The drivers side got most of the product with LLP coverage on all 3 sections of the door and the most product in the door panel. When i do the pass side it should have ~40% less

Here's both the speaker rings cut out, routered and mounted to the pod.

Here's the after pic of the resin soaked fabric after it dried and we started sanding. I forgot to get some pics in between but what basically happened was we sprayed the edges of the back of the pod with spray adhesive... pulled some fabric over the ring, restretched it and brushed resin on the fabric. After it fully dried sanded it to prep for the fiberglass

We put 2 layers of fiberglass on at once so this pic shows both of them after the resin dried

Same as before... sanding the fiberglass to prep for the third final layer

heres the third layer of fiberglass after its dry. If you notice the weave is different.... Its labeled as "thicker" material but its about the same physical thickness as before just a finer weave. It was a bit more difficult to work with but overall worth it. Also it seemed quite a bit more see thru once it was resin soaked

Cut off all the fiberglass and smoothed it all out

pic of it all done with black primer.... test fit in the door (looks pretty badass just like that IMO)

Starting to put on the blue kevlar/ carbon fiber

all done... epoxied and clear coated

Ive been so busy at work that i haven't been able to get any sunlight pics so i took some for now and will post more later... the 2 of the 3 that show the blue Kevlar decently well are an idea of what it looks like in person with sunlight or up close (in really good sunlight it stands out more) but the 3rd is a better idea of what it looks like either in artificial light or at first glance when its not quite so bright out. Enjoy!

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 08-18-2008 at 02:18 AM.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
took u god damn long enough...i cant wait to see the finished product
Old 05-04-2008, 10:38 PM

lol but how should i finish it? help me out here raven
Old 05-04-2008, 10:54 PM

i think you should do it laser blue but you should do something w/the door inserts cuz it'll look real off and not good at all. but besides that, can't wait to see the finished product
Old 05-04-2008, 10:56 PM

I would paint it laser blue. That would look BADASS!!!!
Old 05-05-2008, 04:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with the Paint it Laser Blue, it would look great, however, thats a bad spot to put paint, cobalt doors are heavy and that area tends to get a little beat up. I'm sure you'll be extra carefull, but on the passenger side, one of you buddies, maybe your GF as a force of habbit put thier foot out to stop the door and scratch tthe hell out of them, next thing you know your in the desert, digging a hole in the hot sun....sorry I A.D.D. out there. My suggestion would be go with Blue Vinyl, it will stand the test of time a little better, but make sure you find the same colour as the inserts or redo the inserts in the same colour you do the door pods
Old 05-05-2008, 04:40 AM

laser blue. shoot a thick clear coat over it. if u do a thick enough clear coat it should withhold a certain amount of abuse.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:01 AM

ive been very much considering spuns concerns (hence stating laser blue as a last option) and i still want to do something to either get rid of or cover the nasty orange lip on the CDTs... also im very much interested in putting a fabric with foam underneath for the squishy feel but i cant get the stock blue vinyl and replacing both the giant pod and the stock insert might be a bit much. Ive always known what i want and made it happen but now im completely stuck and out of ideas.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:03 AM

I read about a guy at The 12volt, who had the same idea abot the foam and fabric, he used 2 layers of regular box carpet under the wraping material for a padded finish, this could apply to fabric or vinyl, he said to just mak sure the carpet is not to shaggy, and take a heat gun to it, to get rid of the loose pieces, don't know it its what your looking for, but it was an idea
If you have the blue seat inserts as well then replacing the door ones isn't a good idea, maybe go black on the pods, or I liked that idea about the carbon fiber, blue or black would look sweet, also be much more durable than if you painted it
Old 05-05-2008, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by cobalt_driver
laser blue. shoot a thick clear coat over it. if u do a thick enough clear coat it should withhold a certain amount of abuse.
Too much clear coat and it'll be prone to crack.

Originally Posted by Spun
I read about a guy at The 12volt, who had the same idea abot the foam and fabric, he used 2 layers of regular box carpet under the wraping material for a padded finish, this could apply to fabric or vinyl, he said to just mak sure the carpet is not to shaggy, and take a heat gun to it, to get rid of the loose pieces, don't know it its what your looking for, but it was an idea
If you have the blue seat inserts as well then replacing the door ones isn't a good idea, maybe go black on the pods, or I liked that idea about the carbon fiber, blue or black would look sweet, also be much more durable than if you painted it
Using the inserts is a much better plan then painting because it would match the interior better if you have the inserts in your seats. They could take more abuse, and if you had to replace them, it would be a piece of cake instead of sanding, priming, painting, yuck!

Last edited by nghisus; 05-05-2008 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-05-2008, 10:15 PM

I think Blue Carbon Fiber would look really nice, and then you can work on the door inserts eventually
Old 05-05-2008, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Spun
well i actually have some overkill (second skin filtering foam) that i was thinking of using as the padding if i go that route. Plus i could have the placebo of thinking it may help noise a bit

Originally Posted by nghisus
Using the inserts is a much better plan then painting because it would match the interior better if you have the inserts in your seats. They could take more abuse, and if you had to replace them, it would be a piece of cake instead of sanding, priming, painting, yuck!
ah i know but i cant get that color fabric anywhere. its like it doesn't exist. And yes i have the blue seats

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 05-05-2008 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-05-2008, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by nghisus
Too much clear coat and it'll be prone to crack.
i've never had a problem. my interior has been abused, n still looks good.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:03 PM

Maybe black with a laser blue border. But as always, looking good man.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:16 PM

saving this. . . .
Old 05-06-2008, 11:04 PM

done yet?
Old 05-07-2008, 01:58 AM

All good things take time, right
Your right about the blue vinyl, I searched high and low and couldn't find any blue viynl nevermind matching blue.
I read a thread in the section of the form that has interiors, where a guy took his black door insterts and made tham red, with a simple fabric. I think he got it from an arts and crafts type store, anyway they turned out real nice, I couldn't even tell it was cloth rather than vinyl.
You enter/go to shows, comps. right.
So could you paint them to match the outside, and make covers for them out of fabric or vinyl. Have the covers on for daily driving and then take them off at shows. Kinda like custom removeable speaker grilles but on a larger scale.
Besides don't the judges give points for keeping it as close to stock looking as possible
Old 05-07-2008, 02:18 AM

ive actually found a blue vinyl but its not even close to stock. Its a real generic royal blue where the stock is a odd royal thats darker yet lighter (hard to explain) the new blue vinyl looks really bad with stock in there. Honestly if i didnt have the seats then i would just do the inserts and pods in blue vinyl and call it a day
Old 06-20-2008, 10:40 PM

this is from a while back just never posted it. hoping to do some more work soon. Oh and i decided on the blue Kevlar/carbon fiber
Old 06-20-2008, 10:54 PM

Where did you get your head lights Double LP???
Old 06-21-2008, 12:15 PM

KNOW THAT LOOKS GOOD finaly some good looking work keep up the pics
Old 06-21-2008, 12:37 PM

looking good so far emp
Old 06-22-2008, 07:24 AM

ever get ur box and stuff sold jranger?
Old 06-22-2008, 12:21 PM

nope...still working on it