Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

General Stereo FAQ - READ THIS!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General Stereo FAQ - READ THIS!

Note to mods: This should be a sticky since the same questions keep getting asked. I'll start it off. Please do not post questions here unless you have an answer to them of course

1.) If I install an aftermarket head unit will I lose my Driver Information Center (DIC)?

No, removing the factory radio does not affect anything related to the DIC since it is located in the dash not in the radio like the new G6 and Malibu.

2.) Also, will I lose the factory door chime with the installation of an aftermarket head unit?

No, the factory door chime is still retained since it is not connected to the radio in any way.

3.) So basically you are telling me that Scoshe dash kit that says it retains the factory DIC functions is a waste of money?

Yes, that is exactly what I'm telling you

4.) Now do I have to relocate the factory radio in order to maintain any factory functions. (Do I have to run a harness from the front of the car to the trunk and hide my factory radio?)

Yes and no. The Cobalt uses the new GM-LAN system in the vehicle unlike the previous generation of GM vehicles which used the Class 2 Databus which some of you might be familar with. Basically the only reason you might want to relocate the factory radio is if you have Onstar and you can not live without it! When installing an aftermarket radio the voice prompts will be lost unless you create a custom harness to retain these functions which maybe someone on here can make a how to. However, as stated in the question before you will not lose your door chimes or DIC.

5.) Will installing a new head unit cause the computer to throw a CEL?

Nope

6.) So I'm not sure what exactly a DIN is or what size head units I can fit in the Cobalt

In a nutshell the DIN size refers to how big the opening is to fit a new head unit. The Cobalt can support a single or a double-DIN head unit. There are kits for both. Metra and Scoshe both make dash installation kits and wiring harnesses for the Cobalt. Here is a link to the double-DIN kit and a few pictures of what exactly the kit looks like https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...ght=double-din.

7.) I really want a new head unit but I still want to use my steering wheel controls!

No problem. Check out these bad boys http://www.pac-audio.com/products/pr...el%20Interface.

8.) Now I have the XM option in my Cobalt and I want to get a new head unit but use that XM antenna up on my roof. How do I do this and do you recommend this?

Personally, I don't recommend this because it will be more of a hassle with various adapters and whatnot and you will not have a full function XM system. If you install a Pioneer DVD/Navigation system in your car it is able to receive XM NavTraffic information and with the factory antenna this is not possible. With XM NavTraffic service you can receive live traffic information, stock quotes, and more on your AVIC series head unit.

9.) I really want a DVD player and Navigation system so what do you recommend for me?

Check out www.pioneeritknows.com and any of the 3 units you see will fit!

10.) Ok, I am installing a new head unit in my car and I can't find a switched acc wire for my remote turn on lead what do I do now?

The accessory for the radio is actually run by the GM-LAN system. You must find a switched accessory wire somewhere else like tapping into one in the fuse box.

I know there is a lot more to cover so you guys feel free to input your knowledge here so we can avoid these reposts.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:00 AM

1.) If I install an aftermarket head unit will I lose my Driver Information Center (DIC)?

No, removing the factory radio does not affect anything related to the DIC since it is located in the dash not in the radio like the new G6 and Malibu.

this is wrong you loose the ability to change you oil life
Old 05-29-2006, 07:24 PM

Hmmm, is it different with different Cobalts? I have an 05 SS S/C and I reset mine through the DIC buttons on the dash? Which Cobalts does this not work on?
Old 05-29-2006, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by numberonerapper0

this is wrong you loose the ability to change you oil life
what year do you have my 05 i had no problem with it are you resetting it the right way you dont just scroll to it ad hit the normal reset button you have to get into the menu for it look in your manual
Old 05-30-2006, 12:41 PM

i have an 06 ls cobalt and i put an aftermarket headunit in and there has been no problem setting my oil life counter. i have done it 3 times by myself
Old 05-30-2006, 12:47 PM

Maybe he just doesn't know how to reset his oil life
Old 06-05-2006, 10:41 AM

I say just let the suckers buy all the little harnesses and stuff they want to make them feel safe. Most people arent going to listen anyway and will believe anything the stereo shop tells them.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by PursuitGT
I say just let the suckers buy all the little harnesses and stuff they want to make them feel safe. Most people arent going to listen anyway and will believe anything the stereo shop tells them.
amen brotha....those guys are straight husslers....and i doubt any of them audio installation shops have encountered a cobalt and really looked at them to determine that you need a $200 harness before you came into their shop....how convenient for them
Old 06-24-2006, 03:26 AM

My local audio shop is amazing. I asked all kind of questions about the cobalt. They knew everything down to the details.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:24 AM
iso

that dash kit that says it retains the factory dic (it's got a built in dic lookin thing on it) will allow you to keep onstar with an aftermarket radio.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:34 PM

06 Ss/sc

I want to change out my headunit to put in a dvd player will my stock speakers and sub still work?
Old 07-08-2006, 02:22 AM

having the correct wiring harness's for out cars would be a huge plus to this..both schoche (sp?) and metra

i bealive the schoche is GM10B
and the metra is 70-2103

feel free to correct me if im wrong

Last edited by halfj99; 07-11-2006 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by titancrash
I want to change out my headunit to put in a dvd player will my stock speakers and sub still work?
Yes, it still works fine. Everything works the same as it did before for me.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:25 AM

ok so the harness is GM05?

whats the dash kit then?

i waan go pick these up tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:45 PM

what bracket should i get any online to look at preferably NOT UGLY
Old 07-11-2006, 02:50 PM

could someone link em to the double din bracket for cobalt ss/sc i cant seem to fit it on either metra site or the other one
Old 07-14-2006, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by MrGriffithDW
could someone link em to the double din bracket for cobalt ss/sc i cant seem to fit it on either metra site or the other one
It seems to be a hard to find kit for some reason. This thread I made is helpful https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/electronics-audio-video-49/fyi-metra-double-din-kit-20358/
Old 07-14-2006, 02:21 PM

If I install an aftermarket head unit will I lose my Driver Information Center (DIC)?

just cause people seem to be missing this point, installing a unit will not make you loose your Dic lol
Old 07-14-2006, 07:07 PM

does anyone know the location of the factory amp for the fatory pioneer sub/
Old 07-14-2006, 07:15 PM

its up behind where the clutch would be its on a plastic plate near the fire wall
Old 07-14-2006, 08:11 PM

what side of the firewall ? under the dash or in the engine bay?
Old 07-14-2006, 09:59 PM

under the dash if you look where the clutch is ,or should be in an auto, its up to the left and back its on a black plastic plate you cant really see the amp you have to get really far under there to see it but its silver it sit on the plate with a brass piece and i think mine had a zip tie also
Old 07-18-2006, 05:58 PM

if you remove the storage compartment with the trunk release in it, you can see the plate on the firewall with it attached the amp is located on the firewall side of the plate facing away from you.
Here is a pic with it still installed

Here is a pic with it removed

And here is it hanging down
Old 07-19-2006, 01:49 PM

thanks those pics were extremely helpful
Old 07-20-2006, 07:30 PM

how do i get the stock radio out??? i cant get the trim around it off, i thought it was just little clips i tried searching

Quick Reply: General Stereo FAQ - READ THIS!