Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

help wiring a head unit

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canada help wiring a head unit

hello, first i'd like to say i have a base pursuit 2006, i have read lots on this forum but couldnt find the answer to my problem. i'm replacing the stock deck for an aftermarket one. i messed up the factory harness so i just pulled all the wires out and did direct connections. my problem is that i grounded my deck to the black wire from the factory harness. and i have my memory (yellow) and power (red) from my new head unit wired to the red wire from the factory harness. this keeps the head unit on all the time. I want the new deck to work like the stock one. i tried wiring my power wire to the wipers from the fuse box, but this doesnt let me use the RAP feature of the vehicle. plus it does not work when the key is set to acc it only works if the motor is running. i've tried with several connections from the fuse box but same affect. do your guys' wipers work when the key is set to acc and the motor off? they should shouldnt they? i just want the new head unit to work like the stock unit in regards to RAP. all four of my speakers work fine and are correctly wired, i thought i accidentally switched the RAP wire and a green speaker wire. what i think is the RAP wire is the medium green one. Any ideas guys?

Thanks
Old 01-07-2006, 12:02 AM

I've got the same problem, radio doens't work on ACC. Wired to the wiper fuse also. I don't understand why it does this.

the wipers don't work on ACC also, I'm pretty sure...
Old 01-07-2006, 03:00 AM

thank god i'm not the only one, lol. anyone know how to fix this?
Old 01-07-2006, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by bats7772000
hello, first i'd like to say i have a base pursuit 2006, i have read lots on this forum but couldnt find the answer to my problem. i'm replacing the stock deck for an aftermarket one. i messed up the factory harness so i just pulled all the wires out and did direct connections. my problem is that i grounded my deck to the black wire from the factory harness. and i have my memory (yellow) and power (red) from my new head unit wired to the red wire from the factory harness. this keeps the head unit on all the time. I want the new deck to work like the stock one. i tried wiring my power wire to the wipers from the fuse box, but this doesnt let me use the RAP feature of the vehicle. plus it does not work when the key is set to acc it only works if the motor is running. i've tried with several connections from the fuse box but same affect. do your guys' wipers work when the key is set to acc and the motor off? they should shouldnt they? i just want the new head unit to work like the stock unit in regards to RAP. all four of my speakers work fine and are correctly wired, i thought i accidentally switched the RAP wire and a green speaker wire. what i think is the RAP wire is the medium green one. Any ideas guys?

Thanks

Radio 12v red/white + radio harness
Radio Ground black/white - radio harness
Radio Ignition (GMLAN Serial Data)
Radio Illumination N/A
Factory Amp Turn-on pink + radio harness
Power Antenna yellow + radio harness
LF Speaker +/- tan - gray +,- radio harness or amp under driv dash
RF Speaker +/- lt. green - dk. green +,- radio harness or amp under driv dash
LR Speaker +/- brown - yellow +,- radio harness or amp under driv dash
RR Speaker +/- dk. blue - lt. blue +,- radio harness or amp under driv dash

this might help you wiring schematic from directechs.com...as far as for the acc power(red wire) search the audio forums for how the get that it's not gonna be in the harness for the radio
Old 01-09-2006, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigAl
I've got the same problem, radio doens't work on ACC. Wired to the wiper fuse also. I don't understand why it does this.

the wipers don't work on ACC also, I'm pretty sure...
It doesn't do this for the exact reason you said in the second part of your post: the wipers don't work on ACC. You wired directly to the power source for the wipers, and if the wipers don't have power, you should expect that whatever you have wired into their power source won't have power either.

I don't know how you can fix this problem with a base model but on my SS I just tapped the sunroof fuse and the radio works just like stock, RAP and all.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:46 PM

i thought the sunroof would, but i dont have that feature so the fuse isnt wired in the box. there are a/c fuses i wonder if they would work, since i dont have a/c as well.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:17 PM

I tried to put in an aftermarket radio and I myself work at Best Buy in the car audio dept. and I had the same problem. I used two different wiring harness and did not recieve and sound from any of the speakers and couldn't even turn on the car!!! and I too used the wiper fuse. At least I was able to direct connect my sirius unit. Any ideas??
Old 01-10-2006, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit2941
It doesn't do this for the exact reason you said in the second part of your post: the wipers don't work on ACC. You wired directly to the power source for the wipers, and if the wipers don't have power, you should expect that whatever you have wired into their power source won't have power either.

I don't know how you can fix this problem with a base model but on my SS I just tapped the sunroof fuse and the radio works just like stock, RAP and all.
I was going to run to the sunroof but it's only a 10 amp fuse while the radio needs a 15 amp. Is it ok to run to a 10?
Old 01-10-2006, 02:45 PM

all you need to do is run the acc wire to the cigarrete lighter power and then put a switch so u can turn the radio on and off whenever u want.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by vic_romano
I was going to run to the sunroof but it's only a 10 amp fuse while the radio needs a 15 amp. Is it ok to run to a 10?
I'm pretty sure my sunroof fuse is 15......are you sure you're looking at the right fuse?
Old 01-12-2006, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit2941
I'm pretty sure my sunroof fuse is 15......are you sure you're looking at the right fuse?
i'm almost positive it's a 10...but if i'm screwed up i'll switching that up real quick. I'll check again after work. But in general would the stereo work on a 10 amp...what kind of damage could there be not running it to the 15, if any?
Old 01-12-2006, 05:48 PM

I got the base Cobalt, and I plugged the red wire from the new deck to a brown wire in a red box in the fuse box. It's not a fuse, thought. It's the red box with a lot of wires in it. this is the only place on the base car that you can get the deck to work on ACC. works fine for me.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by vic_romano
i'm almost positive it's a 10...but if i'm screwed up i'll switching that up real quick. I'll check again after work. But in general would the stereo work on a 10 amp...what kind of damage could there be not running it to the 15, if any?
I don't know if it would work on 10 amps - it probably depends a lot on whether you're using the internal amp or not. In any case, the worst thing that would happen is the fuse would blow and you'd have to find a different circuit to use. Just don't put a bigger fuse in its place.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:15 PM

BigAL

Where exactly is this brown wire? is it labeled so its easier to find? thanks for your help