Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Just replaced my back speakers and bad news

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just replaced my back speakers and bad news

Ahhh man removing that rear deck was a bitch, but not as much as removing the bolt screws on the speakers, theres probably a tool for that, but we basicly used plyers, it took forever. Anyways we finnaly install everything, test it, sounds good, put it all back together, and now the back left speaker is making a weird noise, sound comes out, but along with a weird noise. The rear right one however is amazing, such a better sound.

Heres my question, I checked all the wiring (I used the existing speaker wires and checked the pinouts for the right colors) it sounded like the speaker was fine and then after a few minutes we noticed the noise, any idea on if we did it or maybe it just came like that (It is used from Ebay). Anyways I sent the company a email and im gonna give them a call tomorrow.

Alpine SPS-69C3 6 x 9 inch Coaxial 3-WAY Speakers 250W

Could the headunit have blown the speaker maybe?
Old 09-20-2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Xavipheus
Ahhh man removing that rear deck was a bitch, but not as much as removing the bolt screws on the speakers, theres probably a tool for that, but we basicly used plyers, it took forever. Anyways we finnaly install everything, test it, sounds good, put it all back together, and now the back left speaker is making a weird noise, sound comes out, but along with a weird noise. The rear right one however is amazing, such a better sound.

Heres my question, I checked all the wiring (I used the existing speaker wires and checked the pinouts for the right colors) it sounded like the speaker was fine and then after a few minutes we noticed the noise, any idea on if we did it or maybe it just came like that (It is used from Ebay). Anyways I sent the company a email and im gonna give them a call tomorrow.

Alpine SPS-69C3 6 x 9 inch Coaxial 3-WAY Speakers 250W

Could the headunit have blown the speaker maybe?
Could you describe the noise a little more specifically than "weird"?
Old 09-21-2006, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Xavipheus
Ahhh man removing that rear deck was a bitch, but not as much as removing the bolt screws on the speakers, theres probably a tool for that, but we basicly used plyers, it took forever.
Good news, there's a tool for that! They're called sockets, they look like little round cylinders and one end has a hex in it to grip bolt heads. They come in many different sizes too.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bandit2941
Good news, there's a tool for that! They're called sockets, they look like little round cylinders and one end has a hex in it to grip bolt heads. They come in many different sizes too.
Where do I find this special tool at?
Old 09-21-2006, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bandit2941

I need to take my rear deck appart and replace the speakers but I just havent wanted to deal with it yet.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:45 AM

You probably need a noise filter in between the line in and the speaker terminals. It cancels out all that low pass noise and hissing. Sometimes those lines create chatter and you can hear the electricity from other components through your speakers.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by 1stbluSS
You probably need a noise filter in between the line in and the speaker terminals. It cancels out all that low pass noise and hissing. Sometimes those lines create chatter and you can hear the electricity from other components through your speakers.
Tru, but one of his speakers works fine,, so I don't think that is it

You may have punctured the cone, or otherwise damaged the speaker during the re-assembly of the rear deck if you weren't careful.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:58 AM

On a lighter note though,,, It's pretty amazing that you were able to remove and re-install the rear deck and speakers without knowing what a socket is
Old 09-21-2006, 12:09 PM

take into account you put 250 watt speakers in, which probably can take around 75-90 rms watts this is all fine and dandy, but what happens when you have a deck that is only putting out 40 watts or so(i dont know the exact number of rms watts the pioneer makes) is there isnt enough power to sucessfully run the speaker to its full potential. what you might be hearing is what is called "clipping" its usually during the hit of the bass and sounds like a blown speaker. even though its not a blown speaker, if this goes on for too long it can damage the speaker. i had 75 watt rms rockford 6x9s and had the problem...amped them with a 90 rms amp and they sounded 100x better. take this into account ONLY if your "weird noise" sounds like a fart or a "pop" on mostly all the bass frequencies.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by sstyless18
take into account you put 250 watt speakers in, which probably can take around 75-90 rms watts this is all fine and dandy, but what happens when you have a deck that is only putting out 40 watts or so(i dont know the exact number of rms watts the pioneer makes) is there isnt enough power to sucessfully run the speaker to its full potential. what you might be hearing is what is called "clipping" its usually during the hit of the bass and sounds like a blown speaker. even though its not a blown speaker, if this goes on for too long it can damage the speaker. i had 75 watt rms rockford 6x9s and had the problem...amped them with a 90 rms amp and they sounded 100x better. take this into account ONLY if your "weird noise" sounds like a fart or a "pop" on mostly all the bass frequencies.
negative... you wont hear clipping...

and you wont get any 'weird noises' from underpowering a speaker...

i say, get an ohm meter and check them at the terminals... make sure you're getting 4ohms on each... one might be blown
Old 09-21-2006, 01:30 PM

you wont hear clipping?? are you saying he wont hear it because of his situation or you cant hear clipping in general? because i know for a fact there is a thing called clipping, and it sounds like horseshit..
Old 09-21-2006, 01:36 PM

"and you wont get any 'weird noises' from underpowering a speaker..."

yes, you will...to back up my statement read the following quote as per crutchfield.com

Clipping
Clipping occurs when an amplifier is asked to deliver more current to a speaker than the amp is capable of doing. When an amplifier clips, it literally cuts off the tops and bottoms of the musical waveforms that it's trying to reproduce, thus the term. This introduces a huge amount of distortion into the output signal. Clipping can be heard as a crunching sound on musical peaks.

read this too..it might help..

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-...omparison.html
Old 09-21-2006, 02:25 PM

yes, you will...to back up my statement read the following quote as per crutchfield.com

Clipping
Clipping occurs when an amplifier is asked to deliver more current to a speaker than the amp is capable of doing. When an amplifier clips, it literally cuts off the tops and bottoms of the musical waveforms that it's trying to reproduce, thus the term. This introduces a huge amount of distortion into the output signal. Clipping can be heard as a crunching sound on musical peaks.

That has to do with how a speaker is wired. NOT the level of power it is beeing fed. For that statement, yes it is true,, if you try to wire your speakers incorrectly, and show your headunit a load it cannot handle then yes "weird" things will happen

Improper loading and underpowering are totally different concepts

Still, the fact that one speaker sounds perfect, while the other is wahcked, doesn't jive with any of our theories,,, aside from a blown/damaged speaker
Old 09-21-2006, 02:31 PM

Clipping

We know what clipping is. He's not hearing clipping. If one speaker is playing perfectly and the other plays but with "weird noises" its not clipping. More likely a damaged speaker or maybe even a speaker wire grounding out.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:33 PM

It just sounded distorted, however today it seems to be working fine. I know its not loose wires because I soddered the wires on there (along with the wires going to my speaker level inputs on my sub amp) so idk maybe it was a fluke thing? Just in case I have sent for a RMA number to the ebay company I got them from, but hopefully I wont need to return anything.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:51 PM

People you must remember it is better to overpower a speaker than to under power it. So if you have 75 watt rms power it would be better on the speaker to run it at 80 watts RMS than it would be at 40, after awhile your speakers will blow from being underpowered.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:06 PM

People you must remember it is better to overpower a speaker than to under power it. So if you have 75 watt rms power it would be better on the speaker to run it at 80 watts RMS than it would be at 40, after awhile your speakers will blow from being underpowered.
thank you, as i was suggesting, he might have blown a speaker because of underpowering it. when our head units put out a small amount of rms like say 40 watts its not good to run them in a 250 watt speaker(even though thats peak,but im guessing its around an 90 watt rms speaker).
Old 09-21-2006, 04:07 PM

another suggestion is check your connections, it sounds like you may be getting a bad connection if it comes and goes.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:09 PM

im not thread jacking but what could it mean if you get a big pop in the speakers when you turn your car on. I have an infinity 4 channel and infinity kappa 6x9 conponets???
Old 09-21-2006, 04:12 PM

NO.

They will only blow if you consistently crank the amp such that its signal gets clipped (what happens is the signal approaches a square wave and the voice coil doesn't move properly and doesn't cool itself properly). If you listen to them at moderate levels you will never blow them. The blanket statement "if you underpower your speakers, after awhile you will blow them" is not true.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:14 PM

So you have to play everything as loud as possible all the time to make sure you get the most life out of your speakers? I don't think so. Distortion blows speakers, not power.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by cawpin
So you have to play everything as loud as possible all the time to make sure you get the most life out of your speakers? I don't think so. Distortion blows speakers, not power.
youre missing the point..it is volume that blows speakers, but its also the power you put into them...trust me, it takes a hell of a lot of volume to blow speakers if they are correctly matched to the amp, and less volume to blow them if they are severly underpowered as in his case.

haha this is getting out of hand. point is, dont underpower your speakers and you dont have to worry about blowing them unless you purposely crank them til you have to cover your ears and destroy them that way.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by SSinPhilly
im not thread jacking but what could it mean if you get a big pop in the speakers when you turn your car on. I have an infinity 4 channel and infinity kappa 6x9 conponets???
how big of pop are we talking? i used to get a small pop when my rockford amp powered up about a second after my deck did.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:18 PM

the pop is mostly likely bad, i would hate it
Old 09-21-2006, 05:42 PM

and less volume to blow them if they are severly underpowered as in his case.
It takes amp clipping to kill them no matter what (unless you overpower them). And it's not going to kill them instantly as soon as they are turned on. Like cawpin said, distortion (clipping) kills speakers. You can play them all you want with less then speaker recommended power if you don't crank the amp into clipping.

Quick Reply: Just replaced my back speakers and bad news