Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Speakers going in and out

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speakers going in and out

I didn't realize my front speakers weren't working when I bought my cobalt over the summer until a couple months later when they worked for a few seconds before cutting out again. Since then they have done this a few times, the longest being only a couple of minutes.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and what it could be? I'm fairly certain it is a loose connection or possibly even a broken wire somewhere, but I'm not sure where the issue would be (in the doors themselves, behind the head unit, or somewhere else entirely).

Can anyone give me some insight on this?

Additional info: completely stock system and speakers in an '06 Cobalt LT Coupe w/o OnStar
Old 02-23-2017, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
Could just be the speakers need to be replaced
Old 02-23-2017, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to your trunk and disconnect your battery do you dont blow fuses or get a shock.

Take your dash apart.
-kick panel under steering wheel
- then fog light switch panel next
-then the shift knob and boot
-Then the kicker panels on either side of the center console
-then the radio and hvac bezel

Then check all of the connections if you soldered a harness on for an aftermarket radio.

then check the connections on your speakers in the doors.

to remove door panels :
-there's a screw in the handle to close the door
-there is a screw under the speaker close to the bottom corner of the door where it touches the fender
-then peel the door panel off... but be carful not to tear the wires going to your window and door lock switches, unplug them
- then unscrew your speaker from its bezel/holster and check the solders on the back. Check to see if they look like any of these:

Also check the voice coils to see if they're torn.
also you can vey lightly press on both side of the speaker and see if it is blown. If you need to apply firm but steady presure it probably isn't blown, but is probably just a bad wire.

Reconnect your battery if you continue to the next stage. Or have figured out the problem.

You could test the speaker with a multimeter by setting it to Ohms and holding the + to + and then the - to -. It should read anywhere between 1.5-2.6ohms for a 2 ohms stable speaker. Or anywhere from 3.4-4.5ohms for a 4 ohm stable speaker.

if the number you see on the mulitmeter fluctuates radiply or from random number to number then that means your speaker is infact broke

hope this helps.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forgot to mention there is a screw under the cap behind the door pull on the inside, if your looking to take off the door panels. Also youll want to be careful with the wire that goes to the back of the door pull
Old 02-27-2017, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you guys! I'll be getting right on this when the weather warms up again!