Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

UPDATED General Stereo FAQ - READ THIS!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all, I tried positing this on another form but didn't get a response.

I have a new head unit ready to install and just running through all the wires before I start ripping the dash apart.

I hope this post will help others with there install. I will try to be as descriptive as possible.

I have a 2008 Cobalt SS/TC with stock Pioneer sound system and ONSTAR.

My front speakers are making an awful rattling sound and I don't have a USB or Bluetooth connection so I decided to upgrade the head unit and front speakers and install an aftermarket amp.

I'm adding a aftermarket Pioneer double din radio (the brand is important when we get to the part about the PAC-SWI-RC), replacing the front components with new 6.5's and adding a 4 channel after market amp (I don't intend on discussing how to connect an amp, its pretty simple).

For now, the aftermarket amp will power only the front aftermarket speakers (they are 4 ohm and not 2 ohms like stock). The rear 6x9's and stock sub will remain on the factory amp.

I purchased the GMOS-LAN-04 to connect to factory wiring harness and to keep on star. I am also using the PAC-SWI-RC for steering wheel controls.

I've listed the three modules and identified how each coloured wire should be connected (i.e. connect #1 of aftermarket head unit to #1 of PAC-SWI-RC to #1 of GMOS-LAN-04 and repeat)

----- Wire doesn't exist
NU = Not used.

Aftermarket Unit
1 Black
2 Yellow
3 Orange/White
4 Red
5 Lt. Green (NU)
6 Purple/white (NU)
7 Yellow/Black
8 Blue/White
9 -----
10 -----
11-----
12 -----
13 -----
14 -----
15 -----
16 3.5 mm port

PAC-SWI-RC
1 Black
2 Yellow (NU)
3 Orange (NU)
4 Red
5 -----
6 -----
7 -----
8 Blue (NU)
9 ------
10 -----
11 -----
12 Yellow/Blue (NU)
13 Green ???
14 White ???
15 -----
16 3.5 mm jack connects to head unit

GMOS-LAN-04
1 Black
2 Yellow
3 Orange
4 Red
5 -----
6 -----
7 Brown
8 Blue/White
9 Green/Purple (NU)
10 Green (NU)
11 Blue/Purple (NU)
12 -----
13 -----
14 -----
15 Black/Yellow (used to adjust ONSTAR volume. Not permanently installed however, tapping to a ground will adjust the volume of onstar from 1 to 4.
16 -----

Questions:
1) Where does green wire from PAC connect to?

2) Where does the white wire from PAC connect to? I believe the stock harness has a white and black wire that needs to be tapped. If this is correct can I just tap the white and black wire of the GMOS-LAN-04?

3) I believe the RCA's of the GMOS Module connect to the RCA outputs on the aftermarket head unit. Is this correct?

4) Can I use only the rear RCA's on the GMOS module to connect to the Rear RCA outputs on the aftermarket head unit to run the stock 6x9s and sub, or do all 4 RCAs need to be connected?

Please feel free to correct any mistakes above. I don't want to mislead anyone else trying to do the install.
Thanks
Old 08-17-2015, 04:05 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
1&2 no idea just follow the instructions on the SWI after installing the HU properly. If you go to the PAC site and put in the vehicle and unit it will narrow it down to just the instructions you need. Only 1 wire is used for our cars but multiple are included for other vehicles.

3 correct

4 you would only use the rears since the aftermarket amp would bypass that completely
Old 08-23-2015, 04:08 PM

Hi all, I got all my stereo up an running and just wanted to add a few notes about my install.

I corrected the wiring layout below which I had in an earlier post. This works for a 09 ss with factory pioneer sound system.

I added aftermarket pioneer head unit, front 6.5's and a aftermarket amp and not really planned but an alpine type r flat swr-t10 it a custom pos box that I made in about 20 minutes (eventually I may put it in factory enclose). Everything work as expected, however I did run into an some issues.

1) the stock speakers (rear 6x9 and sub) which are still wired to factory amp and aftermarket head unit do not seem to play loud at all (I would assume this is because the 4 v 2 ohm impedance, I could be wrong.

2) this is the biggest bi*ch of the entire install, I wasted the most time fixing this issue. Do not leave the keys in the ignition in the accessory or on position for to long. I believe I cycled between off and on (not start) twice, possibly 3 times which sent my car into lock down (theftlock). It took me forever to get the antitheft to deactivate so I could start the car. The system is over sensitive. It locked me out even when I had run the car and shut it off, moving the key to accessory. I was trying to adjust settings on the head unit (didn't remove key). When I went to start the car again, nothing.

Other then the theft lock issue the install is a breeze. I made some bone head moves (running wiring through the doors for tweeter, woofer and line in without labelling them. I also forgot to connect the handle pull mechanism.

I've listed the three modules and identified how each coloured wire should be connected (i.e. connect #1 of aftermarket head unit to #1 of PAC-SWI-RC to #1 of GMOS-LAN-04 and repeat)

----- Wire doesn't exist
NU = Not used.

Aftermarket Unit
1 Black
2 Yellow
3 Orange/White
4 Red
5 Lt. Green (NU)
6 Purple/white (NU)
7 Yellow/Black
8 Blue/White
9 -----
10 -----
11-----
12 -----
13 -----
14 -----
15 -----
16 3.5 mm port

PAC-SWI-RC
1 Black
2 Yellow (NU)
3 Orange (NU)
4 Red (I also connected this red wire to the black/white wire on the oem harness)
5 -----
6 -----
7 -----
8 Blue (NU)
9 ------
10 -----
11 -----
12 Yellow/Blue (NU)
13 Green (goes to dark blue on OEM wire harness pin 11 if I recall)
14 White (NU)
15 -----
16 3.5 mm jack connects to head unit

GMOS-LAN-04
1 Black
2 Yellow
3 Orange
4 Red
5 -----
6 -----
7 Brown
8 Blue/White
9 Green/Purple (NU)
10 Green (NU)
11 Blue/Purple (NU)
12 -----
13 -----
14 -----
15 Black/Yellow (used to adjust ONSTAR volume. Not permanently installed however, tapping to a ground will adjust the volume of onstar from 1 to 4.
16 -----

Questions:
1) Where does green wire from PAC connect to?

2) Where does the white wire from PAC connect to? I believe the stock harness has a white and black wire that needs to be tapped. If this is correct can I just tap the white and black wire of the GMOS-LAN-04?

3) I believe the RCA's of the GMOS Module connect to the RCA outputs on the aftermarket head unit. Is this correct?

4) Can I use only the rear RCA's on the GMOS module to connect to the Rear RCA outputs on the aftermarket head unit to run the stock 6x9s and sub, or do all 4 RCAs need to be connected?

Please feel free to correct any mistakes above. I don't want to mislead anyone else trying to do the install.
Thanks
Old 08-23-2015, 07:28 PM

you could turn down the gain on the new amp or adjust the HU to the rear for a more balanced sound. the reason the fronts are louder is more efficient speakers on more power
Old 12-01-2016, 11:45 PM

I have an 09 cobalt ss/tc with pioneer system and on star but I don't use on star. I just got a double din kenwood stereo deck but am confused what wiring harness I need or should I just crimp the wires together using color code charts and leave the rest of the wires out? Confused.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:01 PM

I'm having the same problem with my HHR. Where did you put the blue/white pin at? I also noticed that the adapter is a 5 pin and the oem harness is a 7 pin. Turning into a nightmare

I got it bro the harness was all perfect except for that blue/white wire which was not there at all. The kit came with three harnesses and one of the other ones had it but it wasn't the one that my balt took. I just removed it from the other one and added it to my harness, pin 3 pk, AND BAM ALL GOOOOOOD! HAHA. Thanks anyways tho. The Scosche GM3000 interface is perfect besides that little flaw. All chimes work too.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-21-2017, 09:20 AM

OK I have an 06 Cobalt SS/SC DIC under the Tach and pioneer system with onStar. I dont want or need the on star is there a way to take it/rip it/ throw it out?? cause from what I am reading is I can install the head unit without loosing the DIC but when I go to buy the equip. (the harness) Harness without onstar$ 6.50 (double din) with onstar $250 ??
Old 02-02-2017, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dilb3rt
OK I have an 06 Cobalt SS/SC DIC under the Tach and pioneer system with onStar. I dont want or need the on star is there a way to take it/rip it/ throw it out?? cause from what I am reading is I can install the head unit without loosing the DIC but when I go to buy the equip. (the harness) Harness without onstar$ 6.50 (double din) with onstar $250 ??
you dont need to rip it out just buy the one without onstar and your onstar will no longer function upon removal of the HU
Old 09-23-2018, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dilb3rt
I have the same vehicle, 06 Cobalt SS SC with the Pioneer sound system with sub and onstar. I'm not concerned with retaining any onstar. Just so I'm absolutely sure - is the harness I definitely is need the Metra 70-2103? I know I just need the regular double din dash kit. I have an unused Pioneer MVH-AV290BT laying around the garage I'm going to throw in.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:04 AM

Received 531 Likes on 455 Posts
The metra is just enough to wire in a new HU, however you'll be losing: steering wheel controls, sounds (signals/chimes), and what you wanted to remove which is onstar. If you want to keep the first two, you need the PAC adapter.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by ProfDNS
The metra is just enough to wire in a new HU, however you'll be losing: steering wheel controls, sounds (signals/chimes), and what you wanted to remove which is onstar. If you want to keep the first two, you need the PAC adapter.
Shoot my bad, I was aware that I would also lose the steering wheel controls. I must have misunderstood some of the comments in here, I didn't think the chimes etc would be lost on an 06? I thought 07 was when it was integrated more requiring the PAC adapter, no? (I know I had to on my 08 Grand Prix)

Cheers!
Old 09-24-2018, 01:17 PM

Received 361 Likes on 308 Posts
cobalts 07+ used the radio and left front speakers for turn signal chimes and alerts. 05-06 used ipc.

Last edited by Kolt; 09-25-2018 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Rechecked schematics and I was wrong lol
The following users liked this post:
unpredictable1 (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by unpredictable1
Shoot my bad, I was aware that I would also lose the steering wheel controls. I must have misunderstood some of the comments in here, I didn't think the chimes etc would be lost on an 06? I thought 07 was when it was integrated more requiring the PAC adapter, no? (I know I had to on my 08 Grand Prix)

Cheers!
yeah 05-06 chimes are from the gauge cluster. i drove without a radio in my car for a while and got chimes no problem
unpredictable1 (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
yeah 05-06 chimes are from the gauge cluster. i drove without a radio in my car for a while and got chimes no problem
That's what I figured, thanks fellas!
Old 10-25-2018, 09:01 PM

I was just wondering why front speakers, along with turn signal noise etc, will not work after reinstalling original head Unit.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:42 AM

??? should have any issues if you remove the HU and reinstall it. Did you rewire anything? or unplug something and not plug it back in?
Greg Muir (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 09:45 AM

I just bought the car and the revious owner told me about replacing and aftermarket HU with an original HU. He took it to the dealer to get it reprogramed and they could not get the front speakers to work again. I will have to dig in and see whats up. He said he tried new speakers and even tried to put the Kenwood HU back in but no front speakers.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:39 AM

yeah i would take a look at the wiring behind the unit
Old 11-18-2018, 11:49 PM

2006 Cobalt SS/SC with factory pioneer sound system

So I have my new Pioneer 290BT harness wired up with the Metra 70-2103. Matched up the speakers wires via color, and also did the blue to blue. The orange/white is capped off, the ones I didn't have the twist caps for I did a crimp and tape wrap.

I used the ground off the harness, and did a red wire fuse tap to the sunroof fuse that goes to the red wire on the Pioneer harness. Did a test, the deck powered up, I tuned into a couple of stations and changed my fader/balance to all 4 corners and everything working as it should. Popped the trunk and the sub is pumping away.

Put it all into the dash with the kit, try again after - deck won't power up at all.
- deck's 10A fuse is perfect
- red wire has ACC power right to the Pioneer connector that goes into the deck
- S Band/Onstar fuse in the engine bay is good as well, not sure if it would have anything to do with it but I checked it anyways

So after checking that everything is intact, I say the heck with it - put the stock deck back in. That doesn't power up either. No clock, nothing.

I don't have power on my yellow constant..but that shouldn't keep the deck from powering up as that is just for radio memory etc.

Any ideas? I was thinking it was maybe something with my wiring but since the factory deck doesn't work either I know it's something else...

Last edited by unpredictable1; 11-19-2018 at 12:40 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:04 AM

Received 361 Likes on 308 Posts
Have you checked the 15 amp rdo fuse in the bcm. its fuse 23. Could have accidentally shorted that circuit or your a/m radio could be shorted. That is not only your memory wire but it is the main power for the radio. Gm radios don't have a switched power (red), they are turned on and off through data on the bcm.

Last edited by Kolt; 11-19-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Kolt
Have you checked the 15 amp rdo fuse in the bcm. its fuse 23. Could have accidentally shorted that circuit or your a/m radio could be shorted. That is not only your memory wire but it is the main power for the radio. Gm radios don't have a switched power (red), they are turned on and off through data on the bcm.
I thought I checked that already but you know what, you might be on to something because I hadn't used the keyfob till this morning when I got to work and it's not locking/unlocking the car. (I only started mucking around with the stereo last night in the garage. The last part I already knew about no switched power - hence running the red wire fuse tap

I remember I had to relearn my factory fob a while ago which involved the RDO fuse if I'm not mistaken. (car had been in storage with a dead battery for extended period of time)

I'll check that tonight, cheers!
Old 11-19-2018, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kolt
So good news and weird news lol

Good news:
It was the RDO fuse

Weird news:
The fuse that was in there was not blown, it wasn't in there at all. lol Now, yes it was definitely in there because keyfobs don't work without it. So somehow during this installation that fuse has disappeared - can't find it on the floor, it must have somehow dropped down behind the carpet of the console.

All in all I'm at a loss has to how it vanished and I'll chalk it up to ghosts lol
EmperorJJ1 (11-23-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 09:26 AM

dang thats crazy but hey at least you got it now
Old 06-10-2019, 01:37 PM

2009 cobalt

What would happen if I tried to install a pioneer double din without any harness or adapters just the stock pioneer harness???
Old 06-10-2019, 04:12 PM

Received 531 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Bernie Torres
What would happen if I tried to install a pioneer double din without any harness or adapters just the stock pioneer harness???
If you can't afford the $20 for the metra harness, don't do the swap at all.
EmperorJJ1 (06-16-2019)

Quick Reply: UPDATED General Stereo FAQ - READ THIS!