Front Page News Site Polls

ITS OFFICIAL 1.3 million cobalts to be recalled!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gregory923
I called GM today they told me that if. I have a GM dealership check the power steering in my car (Something I have to pay for). I can then call them back and the district manager will see about the possibility of as a courtesy provide me with a repair.
until the recall in officially released the cust is responsible for paying, when its released you can apply for reimbursement, i explained this in g5club...but you pretty much have 2 options

1. pay for it now and apply for reimbursement later
2. wait for the recall to be released

but as far as your situation, you were probably told " we need a diagnosis from the dlr to see if there is anything we can do to assist, w/out a diagnosis from a dealership we cant do anything" :p or something a long those lines...
Old 03-06-2010, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Darren Orange
Thanks! I did the control arms, because without them not being broken anything close to alignment is not possible. However the frame damage and rim damage as well as sway bar issue I did not fix, as the costs are huge to try to repair the frame. Which btw, the frame bends but the rim just gets a scuff and doesn't blow the tire? These cars are pretty weak. I'm not sure on having the paper work for the control arms, but if they can make my car whole again, it won't be so bad eating that cost. I'll submit my complaint.
You're probably going to have trouble getting them to cover it but it's worth filing a claim against GM via their reimbursement hotline. If you only submit the info to the NHTSA don't expect anything to happen but it may benefit you.

What I'd probably do if GM weren't willing to help is take them to small claims court if your damages are within your state's limits. Track down a copy of the formal recall bulletin once it is released, get copies of your repair costs and estimates to fix everything else, tae pictures of the damage and look into getting a police report or any other documentation to show when it happened, then go to court and explain everything and that it went out in the same manner as what is covered in the new recall. It'll be a lot of work but you have a very good chance. Once you file in actual small claims that may also show GM you're serious and you might try their customer service again and see if they'll work with you.

Originally Posted by Jn2
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Vehicles outside of the bumper 2 bumper warranty, cost of repair will be the responsibility of the customer

:p
Originally Posted by lwrs10
you have got to be shitting me
As was mentioned, if you're currently under warranty you can get it fixed now. If you're out of warranty and want to get it fixed before the recall is formally released then you'll have to pay and get reimbursed, but after it is formally released it will (as is with all recalls) be free to the consumer. The risk would be paying for it out of pocket and finding out your car's VIN doesn't fall in the recall range, so if it still works and isn't causing issues you're best off waiting.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
soooo how does this work? do you just take it to the dealer you got it from and they just replace it? whenever you want? or they send you something in the mail?
Old 03-08-2010, 12:05 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Drewww n TheDeuce
soooo how does this work? do you just take it to the dealer you got it from and they just replace it? whenever you want? or they send you something in the mail?
Well I'm not sure they have replacements in place so we have to wait. We don't even know the VIN range of the affected cars.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by JL-KA
Dude you said rattling not bump steer
A bumping steering column is not bump steer. The rattling / knocking in the steering column is what I was referring to. My bump steer is from being lowered. i'm looking for a fix to the knocking noise in the column..
Old 03-08-2010, 05:34 PM

I spoke to my dealer today. Word is, GM hasn't figured out the problem. However, they are looking at a faulty ground. This could explain why the problem can be intermittent and why the HHR is not affected.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Jn2

Originally Posted by domin8_gt
I spoke to my dealer today. Word is, GM hasn't figured out the problem. However, they are looking at a faulty ground. This could explain why the problem can be intermittent and why the HHR is not affected.
They are very misinformed, there is a reason the hhr/ion are not included, and it's not bc the don't know what's wrong, the problem are the power steering motor, he reason y I forgot, but I can check it again when I get to work. a new one has gone into production late feburary...no official recall date has been released...really wish I could publically post everything I know about it. But I can't, beat I can do clarify a few things that some might find confusing....

Gnore the horrible spelling/grammar....I'm posting from my phone x_x

Last edited by Jn2; 03-08-2010 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-09-2010, 09:34 AM

I had a slight ground issue before too, but it effected my ABS. I was going down a hill in the snow, I tapped my brakes and they totally locked up.. ABS light came on.. Restarted the car and was fine.. Weak..
Old 03-09-2010, 10:23 AM

Ok. Thanks for clearing up the information. Btw, my previous post was with my phone too.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:26 PM

Dealer replaced mine even before the recall. So at about 38k I noticed the power steering was not working. Cost of reparation even before the recall, 0$. So I guess, they knew about it.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by cobalt9123
I just had mine fixed for this last week...but I'm pretty sure they didn't replace the motor. I believe they replaced a module because they said it was pulling too many amps.

I would make a turn and a few seconds after that, my POWER STEERING light would turn on, the steering wheel would click, and it would be extremely hard to fix. I haven't had a problem since and they fixed it free of charge, 8400 miles on my car.
Do you know by any chance if they re-flashed your computer after replacing the module.
I have a custom tune on my 2.2 and I don't want them to re-flash my Comp. back to stock.
Then I have a whole new set of problems to deal with.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Jn2

Pacific I can't say they will or won't, but if your tuned I advice you wait for the bulletin to be released to us, by us I mean me...I check it every morning and the actual process of repair is still in the works, so I would have to say it you can't retune urself, wait till I post a update on this...I dont think they will as it's not a ECM thing, but it may involve a recalibration, I've seen it before for other things....

Cliff notes:
-wait tillfor the bulletin to atleast be available...or risk a reflash(as unlikely as it seems)
Old 03-11-2010, 10:43 PM

jn2, you have any word on the ions?
Old 03-15-2010, 10:49 PM

Just wait until you get the letter guys. They have to ship out 1.3 million new design steering motors! it takes time. If you bring your car in now they will send you away because THEY DO NOT HAVE THE PARTS YET.

Makes me wonder what they redesigned in the new motor.. maybe a brushless setup like someone mentioned for the HHR? I hope it is more powerfull because it is pitiful now. The most difficult to stear car I've ever owned (even when the ps works). Not to mention the worst turning radius. My extended cab dakota can out turn the damn thing!
Old 03-16-2010, 01:42 AM
Jn2

Originally Posted by Tennpenn83
jn2, you have any word on the ions?

The ion and the hhr are not included in this recall, this is still as of this morning. The official reason we were given is differences in the tune and tires makes these vehicles less suceptable to this problem...something along those lines...dont remember the exact quote...but like stated ions still not covered...I don't think that's changing, the # of complaints from ion owner is far less than those of the cobalt...

Recall release date still not available... Sorry guys....
Old 03-16-2010, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jn2
The ion and the hhr are not included in this recall, this is still as of this morning. The official reason we were given is differences in the tune and tires makes these vehicles less suceptable to this problem...something along those lines...dont remember the exact quote...but like stated ions still not covered...I don't think that's changing, the # of complaints from ion owner is far less than those of the cobalt...

Recall release date still not available... Sorry guys....
differences in the tune and tires? are there any differences at all between the parts themselves?

i know there's not as many ions sold, but there are plenty who have had this problem with theirs, seems to be mostly the later 06-07 MY. mine has had the exact same symptoms as described in the chevy recall.

thanks man, please keep us updated
Old 03-16-2010, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Preowner
Just wait until you get the letter guys. They have to ship out 1.3 million new design steering motors! it takes time. If you bring your car in now they will send you away because THEY DO NOT HAVE THE PARTS YET.

Makes me wonder what they redesigned in the new motor.. maybe a brushless setup like someone mentioned for the HHR? I hope it is more powerfull because it is pitiful now. The most difficult to stear car I've ever owned (even when the ps works). Not to mention the worst turning radius. My extended cab dakota can out turn the damn thing!
well they said it had something to do with exposure to variable temp changes so maybe the new model has increased tolerance to extreme changes. while I will be happy when mine is fixed I hope it stays fixed cus I have a hard time believing this part is the only thing wrong, I still feel the computer has a hand in this.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:30 PM

Just a heads up, spoke to dealer, where car was purchased, and my 05-sssc is part of the recall, i have noticed some people saying that ss models from 05-07 were not covered, they are also part of recall, ALL COBALTS ARE AFFECTED.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:05 PM

when i went 2 weeks ago to the stealership, they told me that they didnt have any info for the recall, they told me if i get a letter from gm then i can get it fixed, but till then damn lol
Old 03-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Jn2

Just a update....there is still no update atleast nothing new or things I can post anyway...and to the guy 2 posts above me...I don't c how they said ur covered considering there is no released vin breakpoint for affected vehicles...only the ones I posted were not affected...and those are late 2010MY...
Old 03-21-2010, 11:13 AM

all the motors for whatever models, are the same in 05-07, designs are the same, virtually same motor, ... also to add to it, my motor has been leaking an oil fluid for the longest time,... and the dumbasses at the dealer tell me its a pivot point, and didnt even know what that black cylinder was,.... gotta love gm dealers and their mechanics!!!
Old 03-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Jn2

Major update...can't post thru phone...but Its major info...expect me to make a new thread later tonight...got bulletin info, vin breakpoint, repair process, part #'s...and something else which will prob **** some owners off
Old 03-22-2010, 06:34 PM

can't wait to see this
Old 03-22-2010, 06:41 PM

i went to the dealership this past saturday and they told me the parts are suppose to arrive on march 29
Old 03-22-2010, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jn2
Major update...can't post thru phone...but Its major info...expect me to make a new thread later tonight...got bulletin info, vin breakpoint, repair process, part #'s...and something else which will prob **** some owners off
link to ur new thread here?

Quick Reply: ITS OFFICIAL 1.3 million cobalts to be recalled!!!