Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

E85-Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 10:14 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Post E85-Winter Storage

Alright everyone so I have done a bit of searching and i have read multiple views on storing E85 over the winter.

A little background:

My car will be on a hiatus over the winter. It will be sitting in the driveway for the most part mainly so it does not collect sand and salt from the winter weather.

I will be starting the car up on a weekly basis at the least. I plan to drive the car on the weekends, weather/road conditions permitting.

The car has been on E85 since this past spring, so this is the first winter it will see a winter using E85, which is why Im searching for some answers.

What I've found about E85 storage via "Google":

- E85 collect moisture the longer it sits.
* I have seen some mixed answers as to how long it can sit.
* Some say they have had it sit in drums for months, even years and they still use it and it works fine. Others say that they would not use it after 3 weeks of it sitting.

-Storage is key, keeping it sealed properly makes it last longer.

- Fuel Stabilizers contain additional alcohol. This additional alcohol contributes to the moisture consumption.

*I have come across the Lucas Oil “Ethanol Defense” stabilizer, I could not really find any reviews from other forums. This seems to be the only Stabilizer that works to prevent moisture absorption without the use of additional alcohol.

- They say to fill the gas tank, storage container, to the highest point to reduce the amount of air in with the fuel. This will reduce the amount of room for water to form.

-While searching, it seems like the Evo guys have the most informative info on the topic. There are some other, older guys with older cars who have opinions on it but I find that to be a little irrelevant due to the older fuel systems. Their opinions really don’t pertain to my situation.

My Questions to CSS:

- Have you stored a car over a long period of time with E85 in the tank? If so, what kind of climate and how long?

- What are you opinions on E85 sitting in the car over the winter?

- Have you used an E85 Fuel Stabilizer? If so, which one? Would you recommend it, why or why not?

- Would it be a better option to just drain the little E85 in the tank out, and put some 93 in it for the winter months?

- I am really looking for any additional input that anyone may have, especially from the more experienced members on here.

Feel free to sticky this if needed for future references. If anyone has any questions, comments, concerns please post up.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I've been running an ethanol blend all year round in this car, in one form or another, for roughly over 3 years now. I make my blend (e47) in larger batches that I store in a 35gal container and pump into my car as needed. Even over the summer, when I use the car the most, I will rarely go through a full barrel in a month or 2 period of time. Over the winter, my car sits in my garage pretty much 99% of the time, so a full barrel will of course last me pretty much through the entire winter into spring. Point is, my fuel sits for quite some time between uses.

With that said. I'm obviously in the northeast, so a treatment/stabilizer was an absolute must in my mind. Not only for what's in my storage tank, but more importantly, what will be sitting in my fuel system for the entire winter. I did research on storage and stabilizers while initially prepping for the whole e85 transition. What I found was that the Lucas stabilizer ( Safeguard? Ethanol Fuel With Conditioner ) was apparently one of the best (and easily obtainable) for treating and stabilizing for daily use and reasonably long storage. I have used this stuff since day one and have had zero issues with my fuel what so ever. Even after sitting for the long winter storage.

I'd personally highly recommend a treatment like this, not only for winter storage, but for daily use as well. It's not an absolute must of course for the summer, but I just prefer to run it year round just as a basic preventative maintenance measure.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:51 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Do not start it up on a weekly basis. Either let it sit until spring or drive it as often as you can. Treat the gas like the guy above just said.

A cover is a must, or at least wax it and then clean the snow off of it. Dry out the door jambs so they don't collect water and rust.

Letting a car sit outside will do more damage than driving it and washing once a week and detailing once a month. Just my opinion.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't start it just to start it. My car often sits for over a week during the summer with no issues. If you're concerned about your battery, get a tender. You'll do more damage starting it and not letting it get up to temp, and there isn't any need to do that unless you're then taking the car for a drive.

Honestly, you don't need to do that much, since you plan on taking it out during the winter. If possible, switch it back to a 93 tune, since E85 is more like E70 in winter, so you need to re-tune for that anyways. Use some fuel stabilizer, and you're fine.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
Subbed... i was just thinking of this as well
Old 12-07-2014, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by 09CobaltSS1
I've been running an ethanol blend all year round in this car, in one form or another, for roughly over 3 years now. I make my blend (e47) in larger batches that I store in a 35gal container and pump into my car as needed. Even over the summer, when I use the car the most, I will rarely go through a full barrel in a month or 2 period of time. Over the winter, my car sits in my garage pretty much 99% of the time, so a full barrel will of course last me pretty much through the entire winter into spring. Point is, my fuel sits for quite some time between uses.

With that said. I'm obviously in the northeast, so a treatment/stabilizer was an absolute must in my mind. Not only for what's in my storage tank, but more importantly, what will be sitting in my fuel system for the entire winter. I did research on storage and stabilizers while initially prepping for the whole e85 transition. What I found was that the Lucas stabilizer ( Safeguard? Ethanol Fuel With Conditioner ) was apparently one of the best (and easily obtainable) for treating and stabilizing for daily use and reasonably long storage. I have used this stuff since day one and have had zero issues with my fuel what so ever. Even after sitting for the long winter storage.

I'd personally highly recommend a treatment like this, not only for winter storage, but for daily use as well. It's not an absolute must of course for the summer, but I just prefer to run it year round just as a basic preventative maintenance measure.
Thanks, i forgot you were on E as well. I will do some research on the Lucas stuff you linked. Im pretty sure thats what i will end up going with.

Originally Posted by chris88z24
Do not start it up on a weekly basis. Either let it sit until spring or drive it as often as you can. Treat the gas like the guy above just said.

A cover is a must, or at least wax it and then clean the snow off of it. Dry out the door jambs so they don't collect water and rust.

Letting a car sit outside will do more damage than driving it and washing once a week and detailing once a month. Just my opinion.
thanks for the tips.

Originally Posted by Whitnith
Don't start it just to start it. My car often sits for over a week during the summer with no issues. If you're concerned about your battery, get a tender. You'll do more damage starting it and not letting it get up to temp, and there isn't any need to do that unless you're then taking the car for a drive.

Honestly, you don't need to do that much, since you plan on taking it out during the winter. If possible, switch it back to a 93 tune, since E85 is more like E70 in winter, so you need to re-tune for that anyways. Use some fuel stabilizer, and you're fine.
I dont plan to start it to just let it run. If it gets started it will be driven at least 10-20 miles. I figured its better for it to get out and move around rather than just sit. My main concern is not having to driving on the salt covered roads.

Also, the tires would benefit from rolling a few miles a week as well over just sitting on the same spots.

As for a tune, if you have a hood azz tuner like i do , the different blends will not effect the car that much.

Thanks for the input so far ... keep it coming.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:06 PM

I used to use that lucas stabilizer, but stopped for months now without any issues. I wouldn't over think it, especially since you will drive it here and there throughout winter. Only issues I foresee is the initial cold starts... lsjs tend to stall out when its really cold out unless you give it a little gas and hold the rpms up to around ~2k rpm for a couple seconds.

Also, I was on E85 most of last winter... and there was one or two times my car sat for like a week without any driving due to all the weather/snow we got in Feb.+ March and I don't recall any issues. started right up.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by yellowsupercharged06

As for a tune, if you have a hood azz tuner like i do , the different blends will not effect the car that much.

Thanks for the input so far ... keep it coming.
Lastly..... luckily I have true E85 (sometimes slightly above .. tested and proven LOL) all year around. Mah dude at the gas station hooks it up.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Lol nice, um how does one test e85s strength?
Old 12-07-2014, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by riceburner
Lol nice, um how does one test e85s strength?
I got a tester kit.

You basically mix X amount of water and X amount of e85 into a test tube (theres markers on the tube), mix and wait. It then gives you your ethanol rating.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by yellowsupercharged06
Also, the tires would benefit from rolling a few miles a week as well over just sitting on the same spots.
Meh. It's not the 1950s, tires can sit for a winter without flatspotting. Really, modern cars can handle sitting for weeks at a time without issues. Even for whole winters.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:19 PM

Meh. It's not the 1950s, tires can sit for a winter without flatspotting. Really, modern cars can handle sitting for weeks at a time without issues. Even for whole winters.
The problem with tires is the oils evaporating without the tread wearing. You're supposed to cover them with plastic bags if you're not driving on them for months at a time.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by chris88z24
The problem with tires is the oils evaporating without the tread wearing. You're supposed to cover them with plastic bags if you're not driving on them for months at a time.
Uhhhhh. Knock yourself out with that one, but I've never heard of such a thing. And I asked my friend who worked at a tire store (one that focuses on performance, mainly the autox crowd) for over 5 years, and he has never heard of that either.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:34 AM

Uhhhhh. Knock yourself out with that one, but I've never heard of such a thing. And I asked my friend who worked at a tire store (one that focuses on performance, mainly the autox crowd) for over 5 years, and he has never heard of that either.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=37
Old 12-08-2014, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by CobaltSS 16
I used to use that lucas stabilizer, but stopped for months now without any issues. I wouldn't over think it, especially since you will drive it here and there throughout winter. Only issues I foresee is the initial cold starts... lsjs tend to stall out when its really cold out unless you give it a little gas and hold the rpms up to around ~2k rpm for a couple seconds.

Also, I was on E85 most of last winter... and there was one or two times my car sat for like a week without any driving due to all the weather/snow we got in Feb.+ March and I don't recall any issues. started right up.

wow i totally forgot about you being on the corn lmao ... now if i have any questions i will be texting you

i think i really am over thinking this whole thing but all the input is very reassuring, so this makes it easier.

As for the cold starts, you better get on the horn with John about that lol ..... pssst.. (there is a way to avoid the hard starts )

i will be getting some lucas E85 stuff then for the car.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

im gonna go that route too. i think the trick to avoiding the hard starts is to turn the key on once or twice for a few seconds to let the fuel build up
Old 12-08-2014, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by riceburner
im gonna go that route too. i think the trick to avoiding the hard starts is to turn the key on once or twice for a few seconds to let the fuel build up
its in the tune

but ive heard "let the pump prime" kind of thing like you mentioned helps as well.

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts
Move south.
I flick the keys in both of my SS's and they start instantly
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

hey frig off^!
Old 12-08-2014, 12:04 PM

LMAO JAMES...

and rice thats a cool trick ill have to try that
Old 12-08-2014, 12:58 PM

It does help to prime the pump before starting when temps are in the single digits or below. Even on 93 pump gas, my GM stage 2 lsj will sputter and die on the first attempt if I just crank the key when it's frigid.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:01 PM

Rice aka A-Juice if you dont have one of these ... get one lol

Amazon.com: Quick Fuel 36-E85 E-85 Fuel Sample Test Tube Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Quick Fuel 36-E85 E-85 Fuel Sample Test Tube Kit: Automotive
Old 12-08-2014, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

A-juice? lol. for sure thank you dude!