General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Air compressor

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Air compressor

For those who are at home garage mechanics I want to get an air compressor just for general things like filling air in tires, running some basic air tools like a grinder, sander, impact gun ect. What would be a suitable size to get? Im thinking an 8 gallon unit but not 100% sure.

Post your thoughts and thanx in advance!
Old 07-23-2014, 10:50 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
I have a craftsman 3 gal compressor. Works great!

Installed my valve springs and lowering springs with it to.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a dewalt 15 gallon 200psi 120v compressor and it can run basically anything the larger compressors run. I use air grinders, impact guns etc as well as using it to fill tires among other things.

D55168 1.6 HP Continuous, 200 PSI, 15 Gallon Workshop Compressor | DEWALT Tools

Another option is the new craftsman 160psi max compressor which has a 33gallon tank, but its a much larger compressor in terms of overall size. But if your really really limited on space, id highly recommend the compact version of the dewalt which my buddy uses.

D55146 1.6 HP Continuous, 200 PSI, 4.5 Gallon Compressor | DEWALT Tools

It can still run alot of the larger tools with the best of them, but the reserve tank is alot smaller which means it runs more often.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:19 PM

The couple I've bought, I tend to scape craigslist for used but high quality shop grade stuff. IE: Quincy and the like.

I really dislike the "no maintenance" compressors.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:26 PM

Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts
What you want to do is look at the tool that requires the most air the highest SCFM and buy a compressor that will supply that. Those "200psi" compressors are the max pressure of the tank not the compressor. Most light duty compressors will max around 120psi. I have a Snap On setup which uses an Eagle compressor it's set to 135psi max and I have it turn on pretty quickly because I will use air grinders which it can't keep up to so I set it high and have it come on early to keep the working pressure above 90psi as long as possible
Old 07-23-2014, 03:55 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by KMO43
What you want to do is look at the tool that requires the most air the highest SCFM and buy a compressor that will supply that. Those "200psi" compressors are the max pressure of the tank not the compressor. Most light duty compressors will max around 120psi. I have a Snap On setup which uses an Eagle compressor it's set to 135psi max and I have it turn on pretty quickly because I will use air grinders which it can't keep up to so I set it high and have it come on early to keep the working pressure above 90psi as long as possible
This, determine the CFM or SCFM required of the tools you want to run at the psi they require and add 20% to the CFM/SCFM for the compressor. Also get a good oil/water separator for off the compressor (again rated for the psi and SCFM you need) and then a dedicated oilier for the tools that require oil.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by KMO43
5cfm @ 90psi is about the max that you will get out of any 120v powered electric compressor, any brand that states higher is inflating the numbers. Never had an issue with my "200psi" dewalt compressor running any of my air tools, that includes paint guns and die grinders for porting heads. The 200psi in the smaller tank size gives you more usable air and a wider range to increase regulated pressure for those stubborn crank pulley bolts. I can get up to 160psi on my regulated pressure.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:12 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
The angle grinders I use for porting tax the 33gal Craftsman I bought years ago, but since I only need about 80psi to run them, once the pressures fall to that level it can keep up just fine with basically constant use for hours. I picked up the compressor on a sale fore about $280 maybe 7-8 years back and it's been flawless, have done tons of car work here, multiple engine swaps/clutch jobs all with air tools blasting the whole time, never skipped a beat.

As mentioned above, a good used item off local CL is almost always a better deal but possibly slightly risky. Buddy of mine was given a compressor that ran but didn't build pressure, I pulled the pump down and re-ringed it for $12 in parts and he had a good working compressor for that minimal investment.

I feel, when it comes to shop tools like this, it's worth buying more than you need to have the extra capacity. If I had bought a smaller one that would have had no issue running my impact guns, it would have had problems when I started porting stuff regularly.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed on previous posts. Size it based on the tool that consumes the most SCFM and allow some fudge factor.

Check out Tractor Supply. They have some good prices and brands. I'd strongly recommend Ingersoll Rand or Campbell Hausfeld.

Another point as pressure increases, the compressor will not output the advertised SCFM. There are tables on the compressor cut sheets. (ie a compressor that is advertised to do 5 scfm does it at 50 psi, at 150 it may be only doing 1.9 SCFM)
Old 07-23-2014, 10:20 PM

My compressor has no problem at all keeping up to regular tools air ratchet, impact or paint gun (used at such low pressure almost any compressor can keep up) but as soon as I constantly use my die grinder to port a head or doing lots of grinding cutting it can't keep up. I used to have a spare tank and when the pressure got too low just took a break and had a beer
Old 07-23-2014, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Trent1080
Agreed on previous posts. Size it based on the tool that consumes the most SCFM and allow some fudge factor.

Check out Tractor Supply. They have some good prices and brands. I'd strongly recommend Ingersoll Rand or Campbell Hausfeld.

Another point as pressure increases, the compressor will not output the advertised SCFM. There are tables on the compressor cut sheets. (ie a compressor that is advertised to do 5 scfm does it at 50 psi, at 150 it may be only doing 1.9 SCFM)
ingersoll rands garagemate compressors SUCK lol i had one for a year wound up selling it on craigslist, couldnt do anything with it, it would run the whole tank empty just running an impact gun to take a wheel off.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:25 PM

A buddy of mine got his hands on a real CL deal not long ago.. its 120gal dual pump Quincy that we repowered (cheaply) from 3 phase and like you said did a quick head job on it. This thing is absolutely badass and he put about $150 into it and the compressor itself $100. The compressor was originally used on an elevator system apparantly.

It actually worked "OK", but one of the pumps was a little weak and starting to shove oil out of the filter. It's crazy being able to hold down say TWO die grinders and another guy using an impact and this thing really could care less.

Let me put it this way, it took TWO engine hoists and an flatbed trailer to get this thing out of the shop we picked it up from.

Just to give you guys some idea of the deals out there if you scratch around enough. I've scored some pretty righteous deals on older TIG's and such too that work great.

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
The angle grinders I use for porting tax the 33gal Craftsman I bought years ago, but since I only need about 80psi to run them, once the pressures fall to that level it can keep up just fine with basically constant use for hours. I picked up the compressor on a sale fore about $280 maybe 7-8 years back and it's been flawless, have done tons of car work here, multiple engine swaps/clutch jobs all with air tools blasting the whole time, never skipped a beat.

As mentioned above, a good used item off local CL is almost always a better deal but possibly slightly risky. Buddy of mine was given a compressor that ran but didn't build pressure, I pulled the pump down and re-ringed it for $12 in parts and he had a good working compressor for that minimal investment.

I feel, when it comes to shop tools like this, it's worth buying more than you need to have the extra capacity. If I had bought a smaller one that would have had no issue running my impact guns, it would have had problems when I started porting stuff regularly.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:08 AM

Ya a 3 phase twin cyl compressor is where it's at I'd love to have one but only had 120volt at my location but now I haven't been doing and crazy work like I used to so lately my little compressor is all I need
Old 07-24-2014, 08:57 AM

I have a 26 gallon and a 4 gallon "pancake" compressor which I love, very portable and does the job.

Craftsman 4 Gal Pancake Air Compressor: Get Great Deals at Sears
Old 07-26-2014, 08:28 PM

I got this one on sale about 6 years ago. The compressor flywheel wasnt torqued properly from the factory so after about 3 years it sheared the keyway and messed up the crank. I had an argument with my brother because I told him to check the warranty an he was bitching saying it wasnt under warranty anymore. Turns out it had a 4 year warranty and a year left. Brought it to a local compressor repair shop and they put on a brand new pump. Shop thought it was brand new because it didnt have a scratch on it and I left all of the stickers on it.

Husky 30-Gal. Cast Iron Portable Electric Air Compressor-VT6315 at The Home Depot

Get an oiled compressor and belt drive. They run quieter and last longer. Also drain the tank at least once a year to get rid of the water.

You dont mention your space requirements or possible usage. There are vertical(like mine) and horizontal compressors.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:26 AM

You are correct. Its for a single car garage at my home. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:56 AM
Premium Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
A 5 gallon will do just fine