General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Class Action Suit! Please Read!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
<--- 50,000 miles. 300+ Street Races. 20-25 track passes. 3k daily driving shifts. Powershifting during WOT runs. No Slip. Original Clutch
same here...minus the street races, 20 track passes, and 15,000 miles...lol Works like a champ
Old 03-07-2008, 01:58 PM

Stock clutch is no problem... QUIT beating on your car and you would be surprised...
Old 03-07-2008, 02:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Acidangel_5.0
stock clutch... 47,000 miles.. AGE = 26 <--- i think this is something you need to find out on the "broken" clutches..

i have stage II + higher and my clutch works fine.. it slips only if i MAKE it slip (over powering speed shifts)

.. this car can burn a clutch fast.. it is about the most finicky clutch i have ever used however you just gotta really know how to drive a 5-speed to not burn it up...
i guarentee most of these "clutch" problems are newbie 5-speed owners or people who really are not that great at it.. driving a 5 - speed and driving a 5-speed without burning is two different things...
hey i'm a newbie to manual and my clutch is fine. yea from time to time i **** up but i beat on it daily and have 35K+ on my 2.4 clutch and it's fine but i learned on this car so i don't know how anything else is
Old 03-07-2008, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by HawkMThe
Wait I thought this was the only place on earth. Damn
Originally Posted by jmw8822
I think you're missing the point. Everyone who has posted in has said that they haven't had issues. And yes there are plenty of people who don't know how to drive. But there are also a lot of people, not just on this forum, because there is an outside world from here, that have had problems. I haven't threatened any litigation. Furthermore, I am a law student and have somewhat of a knowledge of a class action procedure. What I am saying is that if anyone else has had genuine issues with their clutch, to speak up and consider this action. My situation is not a legal battle with GM. I am merely creating a pathway for those on here who have had genuine issues. My car does not have 319 miles on it. it has 30k. I have put that much on there. My situation is not one for pursuit of GM. It is isolated. There are other people who may want to consider this option. All I'm saying. Please hold the flaming because if anybody really read what I wrote they would understand what I am saying and know that I am trying to help others by awareing them of an option they may not have known about. That's all.
Originally Posted by redlineblueline
its not GMs fault if the previous owner abused or caused damage to the clutch...also the clutch is considered wear and tear the same way brakes are

i know nothing of an outside world from cobaltss.net.....it does not exist.....
Old 03-07-2008, 02:13 PM

Bad Presure Plate On Mine, Clutch Disc Was Fine
Old 03-07-2008, 02:14 PM

I bet the people that have problems with there clutches are the people who beat on there cars from day 1 on the car and never took a "Break in period" on there cars and of course people dont realize that a brand new car needs to be broken in before you beat the **** out of it.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
I like turtles.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by redlineblueline
its not GMs fault if the previous owner abused or caused damage to the clutch...also the clutch is considered wear and tear the same way brakes are
you are 120% correct. It's the same as a brake pad, a tire or any other wear item. The whole point I'm trying to make is that based on my other findings in other threads, yes, some cars are abused and the kid who can't drive cries about it because it's not their fault. However, some other stuff from what I'm reading, and from word of mouth from mechanics and techs that I'm friendly with, they have heard about issues also. Maybe QA was lacking at a certain point and a certain batch of cars got the shaft. What I am trying to say is that while it hasn't been indefinitely proven, it MAY BE a bad batch of cars. These things happen. And for anyone who feels that they might have been a victim of this, not poor driving habits nor a shitty job on a replacement such as myself, but an actual victim of the factory to be aware that this may or may not be an option. The whole point was to enlighten those who may not be aware of their rights.

I'm new to this forum and to the cobalt world. But since I've had a busted clutch for a few days I haven't gone anywhere and I have had a lot of time to research, it seems that this could potentially, keyword potentially be the case. Not saying it is or it isn't. It could be.

I'm not trying to make any enemies when I'm new to a forum; that isn't my intent. But I know that sometimes people don't know their rights, so I was trying to make them aware.
I'm sorry if I wasn't concise enough in the beginning, but I was trying to do a good thing, and flaming somebody who's intentions were good is just lame

Originally Posted by KillerBee
Do you know what a damn class action lawsuit is? Everyone has to have the same problem. I have 13k on my car and my clutch is still not slipping. If any thing you should file a Lemon law suit not class action law suit.
dude, you know what's cool is reading the whole thread before **** gets thrown around. MY CAR DOESN'T BELONG IN A CLASS ACTION SUIT. I know what a class action suit is. and I stated above that I know my car doesn't belong in this thread. Read my last long post very carefully...

Last edited by jmw8822; 03-07-2008 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-07-2008, 02:21 PM

I drove stick for 9 years without any clutch problems. A matter of fact I have the same beater car from when I was 16 years old. I never went through a clutch and I have owned the car for 150k miles on a stock clutch. I have also owned stick race cars with over 400whp and drag raced, auto x these cars. My clutch in my cobalt went out at 6k miles. My cobalt was brand new off the show room floor and 5k miles later the clutch fell a part.

With that said I personally agree with the orginial poster. There is for sure a problem with some of the clutchs. Not all cobalts may have got a bad clutch. Of course some people fried their clutches because they may not of been the best drivers. In any case, there is also people who know how to drive whos clutches went out with in 20k miles. Case Closed.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:26 PM

I bet the people that have problems with there clutches are the people who beat on there cars from day 1 on the car and never took a "Break in period" on there cars and of course people dont realize that a brand new car needs to be broken in before you beat the **** out of it.
agreed

Originally Posted by R&C_rallySS
I drove stick for 9 years without any clutch problems. A matter of fact I have the same beater car from when I was 16 years old. I never went through a clutch and I have owned the car for 150k miles on a stock clutch. I have also owned stick race cars with over 400whp and drag raced, auto x these cars. My clutch in my cobalt went out at 6k miles. My cobalt was brand new off the show room floor and 5k miles later the clutch fell a part.

With that said I personally agree with the orginial poster. There is for sure a problem with some of the clutchs. Not all cobalts may have got a bad clutch. Of course some people fried their clutches because they may not of been the best drivers. In any case, there is also people who know how to drive whos clutches went out with in 20k miles. Case Closed.
thank you for reading what I actually wrote. That's what I get for trying to helphttps://www.cobaltss.net/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Originally Posted by cobalt_driver
i had 3 clutches. the original, blew within a month or 2. they said it was factory default, w/e that means. then i had massive synchro problems. 3rd n 4th wud always have a synchro problem. after a little while and almost a year of the stock clutch, it wore heavily. i didn't blow it, but it was on it's last limb. now i have a spec stage 2+ and it's such a nice clutch. no slipping, no synchro wear, everything is fine now. i hope that helps. i have a 2.2 and i know how to drive a manual. i learned on a shitty civic that had a worn clutch. i've driven my dad's f150 stick n never had a problem. but for a new car the clutches straight up suck. GM should have put something better in.

-ryan
everybody else this is exactly what I'm talking about

Originally Posted by G5GT2007
you think its just gm haveing clutch proplems look at hondas. theres dont even stay in gear. my car has 15k on it and no proplems with my clutch. i also learned to drive stick on this car. its been to the track a good amount of times and on the dyno and it still is fine.
yeah that's crazy with honda's. I know an ep honda hatch club and no one can hold in 2nd hahaha

certain cars are notorious for certain problems

Last edited by jmw8822; 03-07-2008 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-07-2008, 02:43 PM

Where can one go to learn to drive standard if one does not know or are uncertain?
Old 03-07-2008, 02:50 PM

totally agree. i have a 2.2 n i don't drive it like a mazerotti (sp?). i broke my car in, and i romped it a few times but nothing heavy. i burned out once with it. i drive my car like i'm sposed to. but i still had problems. and here's a kicker, last time i brought it in for synchro wear, about a year ago, it took them a month. why might u ask? well, because it took them a week, to fix it. they called me, and my uncle lives near the dealership and saw them abusing my car excessively. after he called me to tell me slow down, i told him i didn't have my car the dealership did. after i hang up with him, i get a call from the dealership saying that something broke n it will take longer to fix. dumbasses.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:57 PM

thank you for reading what I actually wrote. That's what I get for trying to helphttps://www.cobaltss.net/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
Huh? Are you agreeing with me or what. Did you read everything I typed? I can't tell if you were being sarcastic or not
Old 03-07-2008, 03:08 PM

i have been driving stick for about 9 years, and learned to drive my first car which was stick. so i mean not sure but i think i know how to drive manual lol, and i had cllutch problem myself. clutch started acting up around 25,000 and when i took it in they couldnt do anything about it, however the dealership told me that if i would have brought it in before the 25k miles they could have replaced it. i have had a handful of passes on the car since i only took it to the track 2 times but nothing crazy or beating the hell out of other then that. dont know if it is gm or not but i have had cheaper cars hold up to alot more then that. let us know what happens
Old 03-07-2008, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by R&C_rallySS
Huh? Are you agreeing with me or what. Did you read everything I typed? I can't tell if you were being sarcastic or not
haha no I wasn't being sarcastic...I read everything. You said exactly what I was saying. Some have problems. some don't....that's my bad batch/bad qa theory
Old 03-08-2008, 02:48 AM

from what it sounds like after reading every post in this thread only a few who have the F35 tranny have had issues but most have been okay. The F23s are a different story. I have a friend who had his synchros go out last summer. Thankfully he still had his warranty.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:53 AM

dude, you know what's cool is reading the whole thread before **** gets thrown around. MY CAR DOESN'T BELONG IN A CLASS ACTION SUIT. I know what a class action suit is. and I stated above that I know my car doesn't belong in this thread. Read my last long post very carefully...
Well why did you name this thread Class Action Suit! Please Read! and i did read your whole first post and seeing Class Action Suit! Please Read! made me think you are trying to get a class action lawsuit
Old 03-08-2008, 03:27 AM

Well why did you name this thread Class Action Suit! Please Read! and i did read your whole first post and seeing Class Action Suit! Please Read! made me think you are trying to get a class action lawsuit
+1
Old 03-08-2008, 02:59 PM

Do it then... Try and sue General Motors, they will counter sue you in to the poor house....
Old 03-08-2008, 04:08 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
11k and no clutch slip. I learned to drive stick on this car when I was 17, am 18 now and still no slip. It's not the clutch IMO it's how the clutch is used.

However after letting my father and the techs at the dealership drive it around I am starting to wonder how many miles of life have been taken off of my clutch. Oh well.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:46 PM

to get the attention that it may or may not deserve. sorry if it was misleading but the thing is, if there hypothetically was a true issue (still yet to determined) other people who have had issues should read and input from their own experiences and situations. I didn't want this to get passed over because it could possibly be a serious thing.

I honestly feel like I'm repeating myself and certain people just aren't getting it. I'm not the only who has had or knows somebody who has had issues. Other people have posted confirming what I was trying to say. I guess the point of me trying to help those who may need it isn't worth it. I give up since people aren't going to comprehend what I'm saying.

oh and as a side note, my clutch is now fixed and I have to say that mine is grabbing just like it should (knocks on wood) let's see what happens in 30k miles

Originally Posted by 07SSCharged248
Do it then... Try and sue General Motors, they will counter sue you in to the poor house....
you are aware that if there was a factory defect that a substantial amount of people suffered and had to repair that it wouldn't be a stretch to think that they would lose

Last edited by jmw8822; 03-08-2008 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-08-2008, 06:35 PM

i may be a WEEE bit older than most of you...cause' i have been driving stick for over 20 years!! i have owned over forty cars and i never had a clutch issue. what i mean is, on many of my cars i put well over 100,000 miles w/o clutch trouble. now, that is not to say i have not had a clutch fail...all my clutch failure was due to age/use/timely wear (pressure plate fingers break/fatigue). have i raced some of my cars...sure i have. i have been racing for over 15 years now. i can tell a slight difference after launching and high rpm shifts. a stock "performance" / "daily commuter" is NOT designed for (regular) track use. even my factory "race ready" corvettes can take only so many launches and races before the stock clutches have to be replaced..hence, the need for aftermarket/race dealers and companies!! many of you have added some decent hp and raced substantially and without ill effect...kudos to you, but you are on borrowed time and these people know it. without high performance/race application parts...time will tell with stock parts!! i have seen dozens of people burnout out a clutch ( i worked for a corvette speed shop) at low miles (under 30k). this what i see when i ask for a test drive with a client.
#1 we go for a ride and i VISUALLY see how they drive - do they rest their foot on the clutch or ride the clutch on inclines
#2 do they "over-speed" the clutch when shifting (too slow on the release and too much on the gas)

i am not saying that there cannot be a "bad" design on a clutch and i hope that i won't have a problem with my 08' balt'!! BUT, low mileage(under30k), stock/original clutch wear is hard to determine without similar failure issues on other vehicles ....
sorry for the loooong message, just my 2cents, or make that 2000 cents!!
Old 03-09-2008, 05:22 AM

you are aware that if there was a factory defect that a substantial amount of people suffered and had to repair that it wouldn't be a stretch to think that they would lose
Yeah but where are these substantial numbers???, just because you a few others have had problems doesn't mean it is a universal problem. So of the thousands of SS/SC produced how many do you think actually experience problems?? Yes i know of the guys on here, and of a couple other people, but i also realize that people who enjoy there cars enough to spend time on a car forum, probably tend to drive there cars more spiritedly then others.. At the the of the day not only would GM's legal department run a train on you, your wasting your time for what?? a new clutch, a thousand bucks?? or how low are you going? Are you going to cry for a million? or will you wise up and realize how hopeless your cause is....
Old 03-09-2008, 07:22 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
This is a battle you will never win on this site. The few that never had clutch problems like to think that they are the best drivers in the world. I think its more like they got lucky and happened to get a good batch or clutches. Mine started slipping at 2k miles shortly after I bought the GM Stage 2. I bought a new clutch at 5K because I couldn't deal with it anymore. I've said it many times, if my 20 year old Nissan can take literally 100's of clutch dumps and grabbing gears without any clutch problems (stock clutch too) a brand new "performance" car damn well better as well. Maybe I just hold Chevy to a standard that is to high, or perhaps Nissan just builds superior parts...
Old 03-09-2008, 09:35 AM

Well with stage 2 and dumps i would expect my clutch to go out too. But since i realize cobalts are NOT performance cars, i wouldn't dump the clutch...

Quick Reply: Class Action Suit! Please Read!