General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Driving Manual Tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 02:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the ultimate "learn manual" test by driving a tractor trailer. That is a whole separate animal. You gotta double clutch those *****, but you can float it if the RPM's match a whole hell of alot easier (no sychros) I do find this useful if I ever nut up enough to get a manual car tho. The shifting is different from a truck since I don't have to push the clutch all the way in to up or downshift.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:57 PM
LNF

Thumbs up

Great Write up! :
Old 10-16-2012, 01:53 PM

Great info thanks much!
Old 10-25-2012, 07:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DC02
I got the ultimate "learn manual" test by driving a tractor trailer. That is a whole separate animal. You gotta double clutch those *****, but you can float it if the RPM's match a whole hell of alot easier (no sychros) I do find this useful if I ever nut up enough to get a manual car tho. The shifting is different from a truck since I don't have to push the clutch all the way in to up or downshift.
Couldn't me more correct. I drove a Mack dump truck for awhile that had a goofy trans. and I HAD to learn to shift without using the clutch (could only use on take-off). It took me a bit to get used to driving this car after driving that truck but you can float in this car (NOT RECOMENDED) if you get the RPM'S up high enough... It will just suck the shifter in.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:31 PM

double clutching hmm. Wouldnt that be the same as just taking it out of gear without the clutch. sounds bad but there is no grind when coming out of a gear into nuetral. I try to time it right by doing that and then using the clutch only to engage it into the next gear. Also when shifting up you dont even need to use the clutch if your accelerating at a high enough rpm.

Never burned through a clutch before. dont really do the last bit very much because it freak me out lol. but just my observation of driving a manaul for 10 years.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Thedomsaww
double clutching hmm. Wouldnt that be the same as just taking it out of gear without the clutch. sounds bad but there is no grind when coming out of a gear into nuetral.
Double clutching is when you engage the clutch, take it out of gear then disengage then quickly re-engage the clutch and go to the next gear. It get pretty fun going up a steep hill loaded down with 18+ tons in that case I always had to float it.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:27 PM

wow, thought i knew how to downshift and was dead wrong, great write up!
Old 12-23-2013, 10:40 AM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
I've always driven a car exactly like I ride a motorcycle, especially in regards to the shifting and paying attention. My stock clutch was swapped for the LSJ Upgraded Kit at 91k and the disc looked new. The only time it slipped was when shifting from 1st to 2nd without letting up on the gas. RPM timing is key whether you're using a synchronized trans or not. I've always matched the engine speed with the transmission during normal use no matter what. If you do that you'll never have to replace a clutch unless you want a stronger one.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:47 PM

I'm going to go ahead and revive this thread, just because of how useful it is and should be kept going in my honest newbies opinion. So Ive been driving around my 09 SS/TC for a month now and I love this car. The problem is, it's my first manual car and my manual driving is a big disappointment to me. I know it takes a while to learn, but the jolts and shakes in between upshifts and downshifts is so annoying that it just makes me furious on the road. The worst part is when I ask my friends for advice on manual driving, everyone thinks that they're a philosopher and starts arguing how I shouldnt be downshifting in the first place cause its killing the clutch blah blah. So just to expand on the instructions here... When downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, am I supposed to HOLD the clutch all the way down to the floor, rev the engine from 2000 RPMS to 3000 RPMS and then let out the clutch fast all the way or to the clutch "catch point"? Also when starting from 1st, am I supposed to be applying gas right before the clutch catch point or during it? Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:16 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
During it's catch point is when I give it gas and you don't have to rev it when downshifting but I do because it sounds cool lol and release the clutch slowly
Old 01-22-2015, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by jcobaltss
During it's catch point is when I give it gas and you don't have to rev it when downshifting but I do because it sounds cool lol and release the clutch slowly
But isnt that what OP meant by "blipping the throttle"?
Old 01-22-2015, 05:41 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
The funk and waggles? Yes you need to rev match when down shifting or you'll be killing your syncros.

You have to feather the throttle and clutch in 1st, and if you're jolting and shaking between shifts you're not rev matching correctly. Work on smoothly transitioning off the clutch and getting the revs to match and not drop. It takes some practice but eventually you'll get it
Old 01-22-2015, 07:03 PM

Every time i feather the pedal people think I'm Tryna rev my car. I've had person in a jeep and stock cars rev at me lol wtf
Old 01-22-2015, 07:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn. Didn't know you have to rev match to down shift. Haven't been doing that really. But I do let the clutch out slow when doing it. Learn something new everyday
Old 01-22-2015, 07:22 PM

Uhm sorry, can I get some plain english responses? I'm not familiar with "feathering", "blipping"...
Old 01-22-2015, 07:33 PM

Every time i feather the pedal people think I'm Tryna rev my car. I've had person in a jeep and stock cars rev at me lol wtf
You're not feathering it then, you're blipping it. Feathering should be less than 200rpm change, unless you have a catless straight piped exhaust no one worth a **** will think you're trying to rev at them.

Another recommendation for learning to drive stick, shut the radio off and keep the hvac low, listen to your car and feel what your car is doing.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
You're not feathering it then, you're blipping it. Feathering should be less than 200rpm change, unless you have a catless straight piped exhaust no one worth a **** will think you're trying to rev at them. Another recommendation for learning to drive stick, shut the radio off and keep the hvac low, listen to your car and feel what your car is doing.

^ great advice
Old 01-22-2015, 08:33 PM

Clutch in, shift, clutch out, gas. Repeat as needed.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:49 PM

There are a bunch of videos on Youtube discussing proper rev-matched downshifts - I highly recommend checking them out, and building some muscle memory with the movement while the car is stationary and/ or off.

Get your upshifts smoothened out first.

For launching, the best way I can put it is: rev-up to around 1100 - 1200 RPM, HOLD IT THERE, then start releasing your clutch. With practice, you'll eventually get the hang of it and do this action within a split second, minimizing clutch wear.

Put simply:
SET YOUR GAS. CLUTCH OFF. AND GO

While shifting, also pay attention to the gear shift lever, and never slam it into gear. Use a light touch so that you can literally feel each gear fall into place (very important for that 1 > 2 upshift). This will help with rev-matching when shifting up.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by 12andy
There are a bunch of videos on Youtube discussing proper rev-matched downshifts - I highly recommend checking them out, and building some muscle memory with the movement while the car is stationary and/ or off.

Get your upshifts smoothened out first.

For launching, the best way I can put it is: rev-up to around 1100 - 1200 RPM, HOLD IT THERE, then start releasing your clutch. With practice, you'll eventually get the hang of it and do this action within a split second, minimizing clutch wear.

Put simply:
SET YOUR GAS. CLUTCH OFF. AND GO

While shifting, also pay attention to the gear shift lever, and never slam it into gear. Use a light touch so that you can literally feel each gear fall into place (very important for that 1 > 2 upshift). This will help with rev-matching when shifting up.
Launching is not that simple, there are plenty of other variables you don't account for. You have the general concept, e.g. my car at the track ~2200rpms is the best for my 60' times.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:13 PM

Launching is not that simple, there are plenty of other variables you don't account for. You have the general concept, e.g. my car at the track ~2200rpms is the best for my 60' times.
Right - my point was mainly in reference to city driving, on a flat plane.

Getting moving from a standstill was one of the hardest things I had to grasp when I got my car, back in 2009. Stalled like a mother, trying to leave the dealership.

After coming to terms that as long as there's enough gas being applied for the given clutch engagement rate, it's pretty much impossible to stall.

I made my wife go through these same exact steps when we toyed around a random lot one day. We were both pleasantly surprised at its effectiveness - no stalling, and pretty smooth slow launches!
Old 02-04-2015, 04:41 PM

Yeah not many consider taking off from a stop while driving a launch.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:06 PM

It's a good way to practice!
Old 02-04-2015, 07:27 PM

Received 132 Likes on 109 Posts
You have to learn how to take off before you can learn to launch
Old 02-05-2015, 03:17 PM

You're not feathering it then, you're blipping it. Feathering should be less than 200rpm change, unless you have a catless straight piped exhaust no one worth a **** will think you're trying to rev at them.

Another recommendation for learning to drive stick, shut the radio off and keep the hvac low, listen to your car and feel what your car is doing.
So this is my main problem nowadays actually. When I shift from 3-2, I shift to second, hold the clutch in and rev from 2000 rpms to 3000 and I let the clutch out veryyy slowly till I feel it catch then I let go. This makes for zero jolting of the car, but the engine revs like crazy when let go of the clutch. Why is that? Ive seen some youtube videos how to downshift, but they all go through it too fast and I dont understand the basic mechanics of it. Also, thank you for the awesome tips guys. This thread should be kept alive for newbie manual drivers, like me to learn from...

Quick Reply: Driving Manual Tips