General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Flashing lock light

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flashing lock light

Here is the scoop, if anyone has suggestions it would be greatly appreciated;

My car sat for about 4 days not used, i went to start it and as i turn the key to start all i hear is a click that sounds like it is coming from inside the car. I checked the battery and fuses for ignition and it looked fine so i decided i should check the starter to make sure it is getting power to it. I had the car parked on my lawn for the holidays (to keep it out of the way) so i needed to move it to get it somewhere to jack it up. I tried puxhing it out but it sunk a little from the rain and now my anti theft lock light stays on. It just keeps flashing even when i unlock the doors with remote and turn the key over to on.... it doesnt stop! And if i try to roll a window down the ABS and the OIL light flash with it!!! LOL WTF! Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!!

Scottj
2007 Cobalt SS/Supercharged
Old 12-29-2009, 06:31 PM

only time ive seen that light flashing was when i was using a key that didn't have a chip in it. you would think that the car wouldnt start with a non chipped key but it did ( non chipped ilco key is my spare in case i lock keys in my car, it stays in my wallet.) and ran for about 10 minutes, shut her down and she wouldnt start with the non chipped hardware store key anymore. lol

maybe your car forgot your key? :P
Old 12-30-2009, 08:10 AM

It very well could be, the way all my lights and guages start flashing and going off--- my car definitely isn't happy about something! Thanks,

Scottj
Old 12-30-2009, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by scottjohnson.ns
It very well could be, the way all my lights and guages start flashing and going off--- my car definitely isn't happy about something! Thanks,

Scottj
When lights and **** start to go haywire, usually mean an alternator. Mine used to do it all the time in my Z26. Spedometer would say I was doing 65mph and i was doing like... 5 ABS light came on etc.. check your alternator.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:48 PM

I think it might be, went out this morning to a dead battery, threw a battery charger on it and a boost but it still wont start, i push started it, it ran fine for about 3 mins then my guages went and it started to sputter then died. I checked and there is power going to the starter but it wont go. I am starting to wonder if its both my starter and my Alternator??

Scottj
Old 01-02-2010, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it ran fine then sputtered and died sounds like it actually is the alternator. The only reason I can think of for it running for a few minutes then dying is because the alternator is not charging the battery and you were just using up what power was left in it.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:36 AM

^x2...and how much power do you have going to the starter, you might have 12volts(which might not be quite enough) but not enough amperage to turn the starter, which would be because the battery is too low which would be caused by a bad alternator.

and if the alternator was working properly the car would stay running even if the battery was bad(i think...not sure w these cars), it is probably running off the battery till it doesnt have the power, then it dies

Last edited by constantproject; 01-02-2010 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-23-2010, 05:03 PM

After getting under and i was going to take the starter off.... all it was was that the power wire going to the starter was rotten so it was shorting it out!

a 4 dollar part..... much better thatn a starter!

Scottj