General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

I think I'll get rid of the Cobalt

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I'll get rid of the Cobalt

Yes, only 5000 kms and I'm thinking of having someone take over my lease. The fortunate thing is that I had huge discounts on the car so my payments are Cdn $310/month for a 72,000 k lease.

I originaly was very pleased with the car but I find that too many things are bothering me about the car and I find it hard to enjoy it.

Issues such as cheap brake rotors, ticking exhaust, unusually hard clutch, intermittent idle problems and clunking suspensions are starting to get to me. I'm thinking that I might as well get rid of it before it gets too old and my window of opportunity to flip it for another car dissapears.

After researching the forum for a while, it seems that most of these problems are either something that the dealer can't do anything about or I'd have to upgrade to better parts to fix the problem which I think you shouldn't have to do on a brand new car, especially on a lease.

I'm wondering if someone has any INSIDE INFO on the '07 SS/SC as far as mechanical upgrades or fixes for various problems. That way I may get another Cobalt but it'd be a 2007.

I just hate hearing people say: "Yeah, that's normal on our cars". I mean overall the car is a pleasure to drive but I'd expect these problems to be rare, not widespread!!!

GM needs to fine tune this car, BIGTIME.

I work for GM (Oshawa) and I find it sad that they don't have their quality consistent across the board, on all their products. The new Buick LaCrosses and GPs have great quality #s but I just don't see myself driving a sedan just yet.

If anyone has any info on the '07s please chime in. I'd love to drive the perfect cobalt.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:21 PM

i'm waiting for the 08,,it will bring the 2.0 turbocharged engine
Old 05-23-2006, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by 97CIVIC
Good luck on that . . .
Old 05-23-2006, 06:25 PM

and some more mecanical changes
Old 05-23-2006, 06:27 PM

That's wishful thinking until GM confirms it.

If I have to wait until 08, I might as well wait for the Camaro.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by MB06
That's wishful thinking until GM confirms it.

If I have to wait until 08, I might as well wait for the Camaro.

Yes Sir. CAMARO= My next ride!
Old 05-23-2006, 07:09 PM

In 08 i'll be trading in for a brand new evo
Old 05-23-2006, 07:36 PM

Sure... the Cobalt's got it's problems... but it is the fastest 2 door compact coupe you can buy. Be happy having something that you don't see on the road every day. Any car in it's first few years is gonna have problems. But then again you did buy an economy car... whether you want to hear that or not. It's not gonna have Buick quality.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:45 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
Why do you say something as if it were fact when you know that is not fact but mere speculation that borders on fantasy?
Old 05-23-2006, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
Why do you say something as if it were fact when you know that is not fact but mere speculation that borders on fantasy?
i agree
Old 05-23-2006, 08:30 PM

the only changes for the 07 ss/sc are the red tint coat color, and a wing delete
Old 05-23-2006, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Leff1986
the only changes for the 07 ss/sc are the red tint coat color, and a wing delete
Wing delete? Hadn't heard that. There are more changes than that too. New stereo (with optional 6-disc changer) and 3-spoke steering wheel.

As far as the problems, they are pretty minor. Most high-performance cars will have these sort of things. That is part of the compromise with driving a sports car! YOu want a smooth, quiet ride, buy a Lexus.

Good luck with whatever you get to replace it!
Old 05-23-2006, 09:44 PM

WOW...

NO 2.0 TURBOCHARGER IN THE COBALT!!!

It will never ever ever ever happen! And on that topic, the cobalt won't get a refresh until 09 or 10. Not 08.

The 07's are going to be mechanicaly the same. (i'm assuming, but could be wrong) it's just some color options, new radio, and a new steering wheel. I havn't heard of the wing delete, but that would be nice.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

w/ the 6 disc changer play mp3's as well?
Old 05-23-2006, 09:56 PM

so what car will you get instead that you expect won't have any of these problems?
Old 05-23-2006, 09:57 PM

Yeah i Agree no 2.0T for the cobalt in the near future. But i did hear they are putting the never been seen LS10(changed to ten due to smarty pants in the post below) 953 Hp 4.0L V12 in the cobalt for 2010, boy its going to be sweet, triple charged and all, that would be two turbos and a super charger. They said its only going to bump it another $4,000, not to bad as i see it. Oh and i heard it from a brother's, friend's, uncle's, step mother's, grandchild's, son.

Last edited by Chevypowered; 05-23-2006 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:28 PM

The LS10, isn't that the new engine they designed for the '09 Vette? Along with the 7 speed transmatic, auto adjusting hydrolic suspension, and in dash computer?

And I'm joking Chevypowered... relax.

Last edited by InfinityzeN; 05-24-2006 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:46 PM

Fine smarty pants LS10
Old 05-23-2006, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
i have a lot of friends that work for gm,,ok if it wasent true i would never said anything!
,,,but why dont you ask red wing if its true
Old 05-23-2006, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by 05BlackCobaltSS

It will never ever ever ever happen! And on that topic, the cobalt won't get a refresh until 09 or 10. Not 08.
Actually, 08 is when the cobalt will be getting it's first major refresh (GM confirmed this at this year's autoshow).

One of the biggest problems GM faced with it's previous J-body was that it was BARELY updated throughout most of it's history. THat state of stagnation caused them to lose significant ground to the imports who were actually building progressively better cars. GM has acknowledged this in their last annual report to shareholders and mentioned the cobalt (along with most of their product line) will be updated more often and probably (speculation now) not have nearly the same life span as the J-Body.

The few people I've spoken to at GM mentioned that you're probably likely to see an automatic or tip-tonic SS/SC (similiar to that in the recent malibus) in the future.

Ultimately it comes down to dollars, and if you ask any dealer, they'll all tell you that if the SS/SC had an automatic option, they wouldn't have any sitting on their lots right now.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:19 PM

NO IT WON'T OH MY GOODNESS!
Old 05-23-2006, 11:41 PM
Banned

Yes, only 5000 kms and I'm thinking of having someone take over my lease. The fortunate thing is that I had huge discounts on the car so my payments are Cdn $310/month for a 72,000 k lease.

I originaly was very pleased with the car but I find that too many things are bothering me about the car and I find it hard to enjoy it.

Issues such as cheap brake rotors, ticking exhaust, unusually hard clutch, intermittent idle problems and clunking suspensions are starting to get to me. I'm thinking that I might as well get rid of it before it gets too old and my window of opportunity to flip it for another car dissapears.

After researching the forum for a while, it seems that most of these problems are either something that the dealer can't do anything about or I'd have to upgrade to better parts to fix the problem which I think you shouldn't have to do on a brand new car, especially on a lease.

I'm wondering if someone has any INSIDE INFO on the '07 SS/SC as far as mechanical upgrades or fixes for various problems. That way I may get another Cobalt but it'd be a 2007.

I just hate hearing people say: "Yeah, that's normal on our cars". I mean overall the car is a pleasure to drive but I'd expect these problems to be rare, not widespread!!!

I work for GM (Oshawa) and I find it sad that they don't have their quality consistent across the board, on all their products. The new Buick LaCrosses and GPs have great quality #s but I just don't see myself driving a sedan just yet.

If anyone has any info on the '07s please chime in. I'd love to drive the perfect cobalt.
Cheap rotors. Some of the best stoppers out there factory. if they are rust pitting then that is your area i guess. warpping? your on them like a race car i guess. cant think of another car that has this problem? I can - all of them.

Any sports car or turbo supercharged is going to have tinking exhaust after any run and especially a hard run. period. It not the cobalt that has this unusual problem all cars do this.

sport suspension will be a little harsh especially in a light car. dont want that? buy a charger i guess.

hard clutch? hmmm get a standard. this is one of the lightest performance clutches out there.

Not the first car and you have to realize that alot of that is to do with the supercharger, not a big deal in my mind, it is in yours so my suggestion is dont get a turbo or supercharger. To each their own opinion and that is okay. IMO some people expect too much. there is no harm to you or the car. I can reproduce the problem and I bet you can to. I just choose not to reproduce it and it does not bother me then.

What other car should you consider. Charger, 300M, you name it. bigger car and N/A. but drive it first. tell the dealer why you dont like your old car. get them to prove to you their car wont have these traits.

good luck. DO you know what I really hope. I hope you keep your SS. Dont want to see you leave us. and you should think everyday what your can do. how it looks. how it handles. how it embarasses other cars more expensive. and if you do get the desire to jump ship. test drive that car down the same route you didnt like driving your cobalt down then test drive that car down the road where you did like driving your cobalt.

PM me either way. I like to hear what you did in the end. If you end up not liking the cobalt anymore then by all means do what is right for you.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by DC52NV
w/ the 6 disc changer play mp3's as well?
Yes it does , also has the i-pod jack on the radio face . Its really a pretty cool head unit for being a stock OEM radio .
Old 05-24-2006, 06:58 AM

Oh, I see. You bought the version. The version doesn't have any issues and has 40 more horse and 60 more torque.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverStreak
Sure... the Cobalt's got it's problems... but it is the fastest 2 door compact coupe you can buy. Be happy having something that you don't see on the road every day. Any car in it's first few years is gonna have problems. But then again you did buy an economy car... whether you want to hear that or not. It's not gonna have Buick quality.
you do know that mustangs were considered compacts till 2005 based on interior volume??? altho they arent available as new theyre still plentiful. and i believe the new eclipse is a compact, but might not be quicker than the cobalt. GTIs are compact altho probably not faster, bmw 3 series are also compacts, civic is a compact and the mini cooper S. depending on whos numbers you use those are all in the same area, but the svt cobra and bmw m3 are definatly faster. dont give me "but they cost this much". its a bargain to be sure but not the fastest compact coupe. especially if we add in 2seat coupes like the 350z, 911, vette, crossfire srt6, Z4, exige, viper, cayman, hell the ferrari 360 and f430 and gallardo are considered compact coupes. these are just the ones i can think of. so a great compact coupe performance bargain but not the fastest.

Quick Reply: I think I'll get rid of the Cobalt