General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Ignition key problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition key problem

I just had the tow truck operator here. He said this is the third Cobalt that has had this problem with the ignition key locking up. He said it has been a problem with the Ford Focus as well.

He solved it by tapping the key into the column while trying to turn it. He used a chunk of plastic to tap on it. If anyone runs into this problem, try this before you have to have your SS flat-bed towed.

The lockout occurs when the key is removed, so I'm leaving the key in the ignition until it can be serviced. The dealer has ordered the part that they think will fix it, so this will avoid the problem the other guy encountered with his car sitting at the dealer for weeks getting damaged in the process

I hope this helps anyone else that runs into this problem - I have a feeling I won't be the last.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:46 PM

if you read in the owners manuel I belive there is step by step instructions on how to solve this problem when the key gets stuck
Old 05-14-2005, 01:22 PM

Not quite - there is instruction on how to remove the key if you lose power - that is a different issue from this. In my case, the key woudn't move from the park position. The manual says to move the wheel hard in both directions - if the key won't move, your car needs service.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:35 PM

umm there was instructions that came with mine about sticking something in some hole on the colum
Old 05-14-2005, 01:40 PM

secondly why would they include instructions about if you lose power?? I personally have never had a problem removing a key with no power.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:10 PM

Read the manual. Then tell me I'm wrong dude.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:18 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure I am) Isn't this a new model? Do you think it works exactly like all the cars you've ever owned? I'm tyring to give you guys some good information. I guess next time I'll just let you get towed!
Old 05-14-2005, 09:13 PM

Passlock III

Originally Posted by RedSS
Read the manual. Then tell me I'm wrong dude.
I agree with RedSS. Passlock III uses coded keys witch the SS has, therefore the ignition is not only mechanical but also electronic. The fuel pump nor the ignition will be enabled without the proper key, this is why most insurance companies give a discount to vehicles with this type of anti theft system.

Read the manual!!!!
Old 11-13-2005, 03:12 AM

This just happened to me today...like 6 times...with enough fidgeting I got the key to unlock. I find that it only seems to lock on me when I want to turn the car off when the wheel is turned more than like 30 degrees...I guess off to the dealer AGAIN..
Old 11-13-2005, 06:22 PM

Its happened a couple times to me..Last time I took it to the dealer, they couldnt 'replicate' the problem, so they would have to keep it for another 2-3 days..I needed my car that day, so I decided to take my chances and leave..Still happens, so I have to take it back sooner or later..
Old 11-14-2005, 12:06 PM

thanks for the tip. if ever it comes up ill sure be glad i know whats going on and at least that it wasnt somethign i did.

dont worry to much about forum bickering. it is the internet afterall. and of the dozens of people like me who read it and thinck, "ahh thanks ill remember that" theirs a few who got breastfed too long that will want to bicker with you.

just a suggestion notice that the people who argue for attention seem to all be from larger cities. anyway just my experience. maybe different for you. but thanks again for the tip ill keep it in my mind.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:19 AM

mine was doing this and finally dealership put a whole new shifter (mine is automatic) in it all the way down to the tranny. Fixed the problem and have had no problems since
Old 01-06-2006, 12:46 PM

i got my key stuck in the ignition today.....dont know if its the same issue tho.........so i parked my car and turned it to ACC to listen to music......then i heard a couple of clicks inside the steering wheel columb......sounded like pressing the button on the the shift knob without applying the brake at P (auto trans)..........then i thought to myself wouldnt that lock up the key....and it did....i couldnt turn it to OFF ........but i fixed it by putting it into N then into P again......gotta check that out with the dealer
Old 01-06-2006, 08:04 PM

yeah... my key gets stuck alllllll the time. it's never locked up for longer than 3 mins though with all my fidgeting and playing with it. i used to tell my wife, when it gets stuck, that i can't get the key out. all she does is reach over and without any significant wiggling she easily removes the key from the ignition. i don't get it.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by greenwidowcustoms
mine was doing this and finally dealership put a whole new shifter (mine is automatic) in it all the way down to the tranny. Fixed the problem and have had no problems since

My car is doing this same thing, it's been at the dealer for a week now! They replaced the ignition cylinder because they said there was a TSB out there to leave out tumbler number 5. Didn't fix it. then they replaced the shift cable to the brake ( i think that's what they said). Didn't fix it. Today they called me and told me that GM Engineering told them to replace the shifter, should be here tomorrow and should be done tomorrow. Then we'll see if it fixes it finally!
Old 05-15-2006, 10:56 PM

Key sticks in the ignition

I've had the key stuck in the ignition happening all weekend. I'm a college student, and deliver for Papa John's Pizza part time, so this is a royal pain in the butt. I'm constantly starting/stopping, getting in and out, and when I leave my car at a hotel to go deliver to a room, the last thing I want is to leave it sitting with the key in the ignition and unlocked! She's the base model, so no keyless entry, I jus thave to keep my spare key on me.

The problem is it sometimes won't turn backwards past accessory. For two days, my husband couldn't reporduce it, either, and I just had to ask him to get it out. Now, it's doing it to him, too.

Taking it to the dealer tomorrow. Does the warranty cover a loaner car while she's in the shop? I mean, we wouldn't have two cars if we didn't need them...and I had to do without her week before last while she was in the body shop for a bloody nose.

Hopefully they'll actually have a clue what's going on. I may print out this thread and take it with me. :-)
Old 05-15-2006, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by GrmReaper37
My car is doing this same thing, it's been at the dealer for a week now! They replaced the ignition cylinder because they said there was a TSB out there to leave out tumbler number 5. Didn't fix it. then they replaced the shift cable to the brake ( i think that's what they said). Didn't fix it. Today they called me and told me that GM Engineering told them to replace the shifter, should be here tomorrow and should be done tomorrow. Then we'll see if it fixes it finally!

www.alldata.com had something on that, but I didn't feel like paying for the TSB info to get the full description of the problem.

We could really use a TSB list here. ;P
Old 05-15-2006, 11:06 PM

minedid that tooo... took it to my dealership and found my ignition lock cylander wasthe culprit..... apparently its more frequent when its colder outside
Old 05-15-2006, 11:33 PM

Has anyone noticed that there key is HOT after driving there car? I swear my key is so hot when I'm done driving it I can't even touch it for like 5 minutes after the key is out of the ignition!
Old 05-16-2006, 05:03 AM

if the key is locking when you have the wheel turned... I usually just turn the wheel a little and it unlocks. If that fails you have to remove a piece of rubber from a on the steering column and stick a screwdriver in there. It's for either the wheel locking or you losing power.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:57 AM

If my ignition gets stuck, i just wiggle the key and the steering wheel till it goes. Only had it happen once.

later
Old 05-22-2006, 01:56 PM

the fix

Originally Posted by GrmReaper37

sorry i never updated this before, it's the shifter. the tumbler might fix it temporarily, but it will go out again eventually. they replaced the shifter in mine, haven't had the problem since. make sure they follow through with all their troubleshooting, they need to finish what they are doing, test it to see if it gets stuck, then drive it around some, come back and see if it gets stuck again, if it locks even for one second, tell them they aren't done, it will just get worse.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:01 PM

^^^^Yea, I think its the shifter too..Whenever my keys gets stuck, I step on the brake pedal and push the shifter farther into park..Since mines' an auto..That always the trick..I might take mine to the dealer when I have time to get it fixed..
Old 05-22-2006, 06:05 PM

No one has their info in their sig. Is everyone in this thread driving an '05, or is this a problem with the '06 too?