General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

NEW Edmunds Cobalt SS Test Drive VID

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 11:23 PM
Site Founder

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NEW Edmunds Cobalt SS Test Drive VID

VID: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=104953

"Huge vision blocking rear wing"

The New Muscle Car?

In Chevrolet-speak "SS" means "Super Sport," and it was once a label reserved for the brand's most wicked performance cars. Recently, however, Chevy has slapped SS badges on some real pretenders, namely the latest Impala SS and Monte Carlo SS.

Now GM wants us to believe the new 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged is the real deal, a hard-core competitive sport coupe with enough style and muscle to take on the Acura RSX Type-S and Dodge SRT-4. The funny thing is it might just be right.

Making the SS Super
The Cobalt is a radical departure for the world's largest automaker, thanks to stellar fit and finish and a sporty platform.

Its unibody architecture is based on the same Delta platform as the Saturn Ion, but it loses the Saturn's small rear doors, which makes the Cobalt's structure stronger. No squeaks or rattles here.

While standard Cobalt shoppers can choose a coupe or sedan, stick or automatic, the SS Supercharged is only available as a manually shifted two-door. We think Chevy may regret this move as four-door performance cars like the Dodge Neon SRT-4, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution and Subaru Impreza WRX gain momentum in the market.

Firmer springs, performance shocks and thicker anti-sway bars are part of the package, as are 18-inch Pirelli PZero tires, five-spoke alloy wheels and a retune of the electric power steering.

GM's Ecotec four-cylinder gets a serious makeover in the SS. First its displacement was reduced from 2.2 liters to 2.0 liters, then an Eaton Supercharger blowing through an air-to-water intercooler was installed. Other improvements include revised cylinder heads, sodium-filled valves, a forged steel crankshaft and oil-jet cooling for the pistons.

The result is an impressive 1.68 horsepower per cubic inch, or 205 hp and 200 pound-feet of torque. To put things in perspective, a 2004 Corvette Z06 cranks out 1.14 horsepower per cubic inch.

Every Cobalt SS is equipped with a heavy-duty Getrag five-speed manual transmission. A short-throw shifter quickens the shifts, and a steep 4.05-to-1 final drive ratio increases performance off the line. Our test car was also equipped with the G85 Performance Package, which includes a much needed limited-slip differential and sporty Recaro bucket seats.

Finally, the SS Supercharged is equipped with larger vented disc brakes and performance brake pads for improved stopping power.

Cleaner Is Better
We like the Cobalt's sleek lines. There's a touch of Cavalier mixed in there, but the new car is sleeker and cleaner, like an American compact with European panache.

The two-door Cobalt may look small, but at 180 inches it's more than half a foot longer than its two closest competitors, the Acura RSX Type-S and Dodge SRT-4.

The SS model gets attractive 18-inch alloy wheels, along with unique front and rear bumpers, lower rocker panels and sleek color-keyed side mirrors. And then there's the wing.

The big wing totally demolishes the stealth factor when rolling up to a stoplight next to a tricked-out Honda. It also blocks out the back window, which makes watching for flashing lights while exercising the car's supercharger nearly impossible.

Fit-and-Finished Cockpit
The Cobalt's cockpit is a huge step up from the Cavalier in fit and finish, comfort and ergonomics.

Both dash and door panels are covered in nicely textured plastic that looks upscale. Leather covers the fat steering wheel and shifter knob, and a sleek center stack houses the stereo and climate controls.

An arching instrument cluster provides an excellent view of the giant tachometer and speedometer, and a slick boost gauge is sunk into the A-pillar. Unfortunately there's no oil pressure gauge and the temp gauge is digital, neither of which is conducive to high-performance driving.

Trimmed in black leather with cloth inserts, the Recaro bucket seats look full-race. While the bolstered buckets kept us in place during flat-out slalom runs, they weren't very comfortable on long trips.

As one would expect in a sport compact, the backseat is cramped. With 32.2 inches of rear-seat legroom and 35.7 inches of rear headroom, the SS falls squarely between the RSX and the SRT-4. If you plan on carrying more than one passenger for anything other than trips around town, the four-door Dodge is a better choice.

The Cobalt's trunk is also small and it's accessed by a mail-slot opening.

On the Road
Now that we've gotten all the pesky details out of the way, let's get to the important stuff: how it drives.

The Cobalt SS Supercharged has absolutely explosive power. The little Ecotec is sedate until 3,500 rpm, when the boost kicks in like an afterburner and the front tires scream for mercy. We noted that the boost gauge maxed out at 11 pounds, but we've got no doubt that Chevy's 12-pound claim is accurate once the engine breaks in and loosens up.

Torque steer is a problem in front-wheel-drive cars with power, and the Cobalt SS is no exception. As soon as the boost hits, the steering wheel starts trying to yank itself out of your hands, so finesse and a firm grip are necessary to keep this beast under control.

At the track our test car ran zero to 60 in 7 seconds flat and sprinted the quarter-mile in 15.4 at 97 mph. In comparison, a similarly priced Dodge SRT-4 (which is turbocharged) that we recently tested went zero to 60 in 6.3 seconds and ran the quarter in 14.9 seconds at 94.3 mph.

Out in the real world, the SS nicely balances ride comfort and handling, and it was easy to drive in the slalom with minimal body roll and plenty of torque to pull out of the cones. But our tester could only run through the course at 63 mph, which is well short of the 65.7 mph we recently squeezed out of an Acura RSX Type-S.

Its huge 18-inch tires (the Acura we tested rolled on 17-inchers) just can't make up for the Cobalt's hefty curb weight, dated beam axle rear suspension and numb, feedback-free electric steering.

Although the steering system is supposedly tuned to feel sportier, it actually feels worse than the standard setup. In competing vehicles like the RSX Type-S and SRT-4 you can feel when the car is at its handling limit, but the Cobalt SS is eerily numb at speed.

The Bottom Line
The sport compact field is crowded, and GM has showed up late to the game.

Our $23,000 test car came loaded with every option available, including the Performance Package, XM radio and a power sunroof. A comparable SRT-4 is nearly identical in price, but if you order each vehicle in base trim the Dodge is actually a few hundred dollars cheaper. The high-end Acura RSX Type-S costs about $1,000 more.

Dodge's turbocharged four-door packs superior performance in every category for identical money. However, the Neon is a bit rough around the edges when compared to the Cobalt SS, which is more refined.

Fastest in its class or not, there's no arguing that the Cobalt SS Supercharged is the best Chevrolet compact to come along in decades. Thanks to snarling supercharged performance and a sleek new look, it can wear those SS badges with pride.

By Dan Kahn
Old 03-14-2005, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok My Thoughts!

Car sounded great on the drive bys' in the video.

What's up with the under steer coment... I drove the 4 door and it felt fine.. If I'm correct the steering is the same on all the models... YES OK.. I can understand.. Different suspension different steering....

I like the ""Compact Muscle Car"""" comment.. lol...

It's making me think.. I should of gotten the SSsc... But didn't want to wait nor was it in my financial bracket that I wanted to spend!
Old 03-14-2005, 11:49 PM

7 second 0 to 60????

i dont get it? several magazines are claiming 6.0 to 6.1...maybe that is the LSD equipped one?
Old 03-15-2005, 12:06 AM

vision blocking spoiler??.....i hate this guy.......
Old 03-15-2005, 12:48 AM

ya, hes retarded.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:49 AM
p7x

Now I know the spoiler blocks some of ur vision, but bullshit stats of 0-60 in 7 and 15 sec 1/4 mile **** me off. Good to see a video on the SS though.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:13 AM

I really don't car if the spoiler blocks all of my vision out the back...... I drive with my side mirrors anyways
Old 03-15-2005, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

**** my redline hits 60 almost in 1st gear no way cobalt can be down graded like that they just a buch of grandma shifting bizaches "sorry just got off work in good mood lol.

Ill have video soon of how fast the 2.0 eco s/c can go!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2005, 12:57 PM
Moderator Alumni

understeer on a FWD car OMG? Captain Obvious.

Also the 1/4 and 0 to 60 times sound suspect. Wonder if this guy read the other reviews that quote lower times before producing this mess.

This review pretty much downplays the cobalt ss/sc quite a bit.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:11 PM

There is also the posibility the engine wasn't fully broken in when they ran the 1/4 and 0-60. I know for the 2.2 ECOTEC's there is a rather large difference pre and post breakin.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:08 PM

When I went to test drive a Coupe LS, you couldn't see much at all out the back...and that was with the LS spoiler. They may have a point, but it doesn't really bother me too much, I just thought it was funny
Old 03-15-2005, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by zinner
understeer on a FWD car OMG? Captain Obvious.

Also the 1/4 and 0 to 60 times sound suspect. Wonder if this guy read the other reviews that quote lower times before producing this mess.

This review pretty much downplays the cobalt ss/sc quite a bit.
Captain Obvoius strikes again. ha ha.

I guess GM hasn't been doing enough advertising with that particular company then, huh.

Villain
Old 03-16-2005, 12:00 AM
Site Founder

Dodge's turbocharged four-door packs superior performance in every category for identical money. However, the Neon is a bit rough around the edges when compared to the Cobalt SS, which is more refined.

Old 03-16-2005, 12:29 PM

Compared to pretty much every other review, the 0-60 and 1/4 times are WAY off. Even their SRT-4. 14.9!? Even the most inexperienced SRT-4 drivers manage 14.5 or less. The best have cranked out a 13.8. There's obviously something wrong with the driver, course or the car. Perhaps a combination of the three.

Either way, his entire review wasn't all bad. He basically said what the Cobalt SS S/C is..and I agree.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:09 PM
Banned

Edmund's couldn't have gotten much worse numbers than that. Dodge SRT-4 at 14.9? Give me a freaking break, those numbers are so far off they shoudn't have even bothered publishing them. All they had to do was reference a competing source (Motortrend, Car and Driver) to realize that their numbers weren't even in the ballpark.

Maybe its just me, but it seems like certain reviewers from Edmunds are starting to sound more and more like Consumer Reports - and thats not a good thing. They point out the blatantly obvious, pick vehicles apart for stupid things, and critisize elements that are there by design - like the rear wing. They say how much it "blocks rear vision", but yet if it wasn't there they would say it "looks too bland"
Old 03-16-2005, 10:38 PM

i dont believe the times
srt4 can do 13.9 stock, ive seen it on several occasions
I do not think this car can compete with the srt4 in stock form, but i do think that with mods, itll even out
Old 03-17-2005, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by SilverCSS
Compared to pretty much every other review, the 0-60 and 1/4 times are WAY off. Even their SRT-4. 14.9!? Even the most inexperienced SRT-4 drivers manage 14.5 or less. The best have cranked out a 13.8. There's obviously something wrong with the driver, course or the car. Perhaps a combination of the three.

Either way, his entire review wasn't all bad. He basically said what the Cobalt SS S/C is..and I agree.
Bet u they tested it in 03, and the SRT can barley beat a wrx then.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:19 AM

after they posted the times i stopped watching it, they obviously can't drive, 7 second 0-60, 15 second 1/4 mile geez seriously take some time to practice. geez. how hard is it to launch a fwd car. rev up to around 2-2500 rpm since it has tq and ease the clutch out thats what i do. god bunch of idiots.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie
after they posted the times i stopped watching it, they obviously can't drive, 7 second 0-60, 15 second 1/4 mile geez seriously take some time to practice. geez. how hard is it to launch a fwd car. rev up to around 2-2500 rpm since it has tq and ease the clutch out thats what i do. god bunch of idiots.
Lol yea that review is pretty embarrasing, they can't even get the right stats and they can downplay the car?
Old 03-20-2005, 10:47 PM

I have 2 magazine subscriptions and here are the TRUE stats:

Dodge SRT4 - 230hp / 250lb-ft - 2,970lbs – Redlines @ 6.0 – 22/30mpg (m)

Car And Driver ($21,690):
0-60: 5.3sec
ź Mile: 13.9sec @ xmph
70-0: 169ft
300-ft pad: 0.86g
Top Speed @ 153mph

Motor Trend ($21,960):
0-60: 5.5sec
ź Mile: 14.0sec @ 102.7mph
60-0: 112ft
600-ft slalom: 68.3mph

Chevy Cobalt SS - 205hp / 200lb-ft - 2,991lbs – Redlines @ 6.5 – 23/29mpg (m)

Car And Driver (est.):
0-60: 6.1sec
0-100: 16.0sec
ź Mile: 14.7sec @ 97mph
Top Speed @ 140mph

Motor Trend ($24,000):
0-60: 6.0sec
ź Mile: 14.5sec @ 98.2mph
60-0: 115ft
200-ft pad: 0.89g
600-ft slalom: 69.0mph

Note: Braking for Car And Driver is from 70-0, while Motor Trend is from 60-0. Also the skid pad varies between the two companies.

Go to the Dodge site they say the srt-4 goes 0-60 around 5.8sec – Car And Driver broke that!!! You can see they underrate, also being a good driver helps.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:15 AM

we'll all get to see what the car can do when we get it. also most of those times are achieved by pro drivers, being able to shift properly will definatly lower the times
Old 03-24-2005, 09:32 PM

its so obvious the driver is not a good one. they claim a time of 15.4 at 97 ?!?!?! at 97mph you should be in mid to low 14's....
Old 03-24-2005, 09:52 PM

Heeeeeeeeeeelarious!

I laughed too when I heard "vision blocking rear wing!" How heeeeeeelarious! Of course, I'll get to experience it first hand when mine arrives. Mellow yellow!
Old 04-26-2005, 12:13 PM

At the track our test car ran zero to 60 in 7 seconds flat and sprinted the quarter-mile in 15.4 at 97 mph. In comparison, a similarly priced Dodge SRT-4 (which is turbocharged) that we recently tested went zero to 60 in 6.3 seconds and ran the quarter in 14.9 seconds at 94.3 mph.
Either they need to find real test drivers rather than retired school-teachers, or they need to find a track that's not at 9000ft above sea-level.

I bet I could pilot an SS to at least a 14.2...

I took my stock 2003 SRT-4 to a 13.7:

And then added drag radials and about five bucks in mods and ran a 13.5 (left lane):

Bottom line, get a set of drag radials on an SS and I'd bet it'll hit 13.9x stock.

Also when someone in the Phoenix area gets an SS and gets it broke in and wants to hit the track, lemme know... beating up on Honduh's is getting old I'm far from stock now (270+whp) so it'll take more than an SS with a "few" mods, but you never know I could always pull the shift knob off going into 2nd... you know that whole "less finished" thing the SRT-4 has.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:03 AM

Keep in mind that they have 65 year old men driving these cars and 90 year old women timing them. Oh and they are all blind.

Whoa, 15 second quarter mile? astonishing for 24 grand!

Quick Reply: NEW Edmunds Cobalt SS Test Drive VID