General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

It was no conest, this car was mine.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was no conest, this car was mine.

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to say hello to all and introduce myself. This is my first post.
Quite frankly I never saw myself posting here. That is, up until a few days ago. Judging from what I have been reading, I guess I am the type of person Chevy is hoping to attract to the Cobalt. I have always had imports parked in my garage. My current car being a Mazda 3 GT Black 5 door (K&N, Magnaflow, Eibach Pro Series). Not a bad vehicle at all I must say. The 2.3 has great potential and sounds really nice paired with the Typhoon and Magna'. Enough with that.

Well, it is turning out that we (Wife and I) need another vehicle. I got a much better job, but I can no longer car pool her. I am headed in the opposite direction, slightly out of town (28km), against traffic through some open rural roads..

I do some home renovations when I am not a computer geek or tinkering with my music, and first looked at trucks. That quickly ended after Katrina hit.

So I said to myself "Well, here's a chance for you to go and pick a decent small sized car" . Quickly, all the possibilities started to get the adrenaline pumping. I test drove everything under the sun. Tuesday I was finishing my impressive test drive of the SRT-4 (AWESOME car too BTW, but you know that) and I overheard a couple talking about "That cobalt" and how they liked it a bit better. They were undecided and were going to give it a few days. I quickly rushed home and did some quick reading here, and everywhere else (Thanks guy for all the info!).

Within an hour of researching this car, I was ready for some seat time. It was really easy to call horse manure on some of the articles I was reading. How could Chevy get it together this good, this fast? Then I remembered three words; "Delta", "Platform" and "Supercharger".

Ok, I am a HUGE NASCAR fan and have a love for domestic. I just never saw anything good under 8 cyl. Of course, unless its a vintage muscle car, and thats a whole different story.

So I tracked "one" down in the city. I climbed underneath and what I saw was quite impressive and beefy. The suspension looks very very well designed and the brakes are menacing. I wish there was a dual exhaust though. The interior was quite solid and the tight clean spacing of the components are well done. Yes, the Recaro seats feel as stiff and supportive as they look. I could easily take an all afternoon drive in these. Then I looked up and saw the that boost guage. The gauge that is the tell tale sign of the SS S/C. Awesome. I have never owned or driven a supercharged car. The dealership had the SS A/T and the SS S/C beside eachother. Even if the normal SS had the extensions kit, anyone that knows cars will pick the s/c out in a heart beat. I am not worried in the slightest about the SS bagding issue. It is a non factor. Purists may have thier panties in a bunch, understandably, given the history behind the SS. It may not be the best move by Chevy, but what's done is done... You can tell which is which and thats all that matters to me. It's nothing that isn't going on everywhere else you look. Type-R badging sells like hotcakes on Ebay. Where ever there is a fast production car, there will always be imposters. Even if GM did not offer SS badging on non supercharged cobalts, you would for sure see some badged up, driving around. Rice never sleeps...

I set out for the test drive. I know this dealership so they let me take this out on my own. I took it easy for the first few lights, driving it very vanilla to see how it handles the low revs. I love torque, and the supercharger is there waiting like a secret weapon, willing to pin you in the seat at 2000 rpm... at 4000-4500 your pulling hard, and smilling big.

It shifted really good, I wasnt expecting this sice some of the articles I read ripped on the SAAB 9-3 shift linkage used in this car. I guess I am not used to good shifts, because this shifts better than my Mazda 3 (I dont have a short shifter in the 3) and any other import I have owned.

I didnt want to get the car over 100 mph/160Km/h, but at that speed the car was handling great, I was able to do some fairly quick s turns and feel the understeer, which is nothing to really complain about. By the time I heard a tire screech I was sucked against the side of the car going through a TIGHT S at about 90 MPH that was just an insane ride... She broke loose a tiny bit, and it was scary when it happened, but it it was a very controllable car. Kind of like a rally drift, FWD style. I wanted to do it again... Thats when I knew, this car was mine. It handles awesome, looks great (after I loose the wing). It would put a beating on the RSX-S, and it would kill the Spec-V. Both cars I test drove and they arent near the car this is, but are great vehicles too. Only the SRT-4 is. However, my experience and driving style would see the SS get off the line way faster though.

So I returned to the lot and told the salesperson, SOLD.
You can't negotiate at this calibre. There are only 4 scheduled to arrive in the entire Ottawa Carleton / Rural area in the next few months. This car was worth every penny for me. I did get some money off though with a rebate and GM card etc.

I wanted to see if they had a black, sport package on order. The one I drove was blue. Im not big on blue, but it looks nice on this car. There is another dealership that is getting the black one today, and they are going to do a trade. The blue being the more popular of the two, they will get me my black without any hassle.

So there it is, I am in love with this car, and dream of what I am going to be doing to it over the years.... I am picking it up Friday, ready to drive off the lot. My insurance is not bad at all, and the gas consuption on this car, when driven accordingly, appears to be decent for a car in the calibre. No worries there.

I look forward to getting to know the Cobalt Community!
Old 09-07-2005, 09:57 AM
Moderator Alumni
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Another Canadian. Great.

Welcome.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:21 AM
360 L337 User

[QUOTE=Erod]Another Canadian. Great.

Hey, Welcome.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:23 AM

Welcome too the club! You will love the car...lotsa potantial...
Old 09-07-2005, 10:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome man!! Welcome to the Cobalt-side. This car is the ****, most fun I've had driving a stock car. Post pics as you mod her......So I take it your wife drives the Mazda3 now? Careful, she'll try to take the SS/SC, my fiancee has tried but never succeded
Old 09-07-2005, 10:34 AM

yo man if your gonna be part of the ss community gotta get one thing straight. the transmission is shared with the SAAB 9-3 not the Audi, there is no such thing as an Audi 9-3
Old 09-07-2005, 11:18 AM

Doh! I know that, just a brain meltdown

Yes I know its a Saab... lol

Just a little exited..

Yes, my wife now has full control of the 3. Perfet car for her in my opinion. Just enough power to have some fun. The 3's engine is under rated.
The Cobalt is a good luanching pad to higher HP.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:20 AM

Big congrats and enjoy!

-Rich
Old 09-07-2005, 11:34 AM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice post

Enjoy the car, welcome to the site!
Old 09-07-2005, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Erod
Another Canadian. Great.

Welcome.

Exactly what i was thinking, lol.....

HAVE FUN WITH THE CAR MAN, I GOT THIS DAMNED LS CUZ THE WIFE WANTED A 4 DOOR, MEH........SS RULES....Imma have one one day
Old 09-07-2005, 11:41 AM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05BurntOGSL
Exactly what i was thinking, lol.....

HAVE FUN WITH THE CAR MAN, I GOT THIS DAMNED LS CUZ THE WIFE WANTED A 4 DOOR, MEH........SS RULES....Imma have one one day
Trade in right now for the SS sedan!!
Old 09-07-2005, 12:06 PM

Very unbiased and believable write up. I wish more people would take the time to write in great detail as you have and in an honest and genuine fashion. I just got mine this past Saturday and it hurts to see her parked and not driven. However, I keep her parked in view of my window at work so I can her all day!!! Welcome to the site and I very much hope we can meet up one day as Ontario Cobalt Culb members one day!!

Old 09-07-2005, 12:37 PM

Great man! Come see my black one im in ottawa to. Me and Denny are the only ones i think.. slk_mademan@hotmail.com. Let us know when u get it.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:16 PM

welcome...you have just detailed what all of us "felt" the on the first drive...i damn near had mine bought before i even seen it at the dealership! ( they had to trade to get it, and i told them i would take it when they found it). anyway, the cars a real beast for 4 cyclinders, and a real head turner, so enjoy!
Old 09-07-2005, 01:21 PM

Cool !

Yes when I pick er' up I will shoot you an email. They are telling me Friday, but we all know how that goes. The closer to the week end your delivery date is, the better chance it will come in on Monday ...

It would be cool to take a picture of them together. We'll call it TwinSS .... LOL Any place around here to get a dyno done? I went down to Toronto to Dyno the 3 but I am assuming there are proper dynos in Ottawa too.

Looking forward to getting some serious cruisin in before the snow hits..... Meh...

I am lucky I have a nice garage for my black betty, so I can store, clean, and tune in the winter.

@*!@%$! I wish it was in there right now.... I have already got her bed ready...

The dealership said there is only 1 black 2006 on order at the present time in the entire region, and its mine
Old 09-07-2005, 07:15 PM
tio

These dam Canadian's seem to be taking over

Welcome to the site, and I also look forward to meeting up with you through the OCC
Old 09-07-2005, 07:24 PM

what are all you laughing aboot? he's just from Canadia. Land of french fries and gravy. HAHA.

Anyways, welcome to the site
Old 09-07-2005, 08:42 PM

Nah,

Its the land of poutine !
(French Fries, Gravy and White Cheddar cheese curds)

It can also be the land of draft beer and hockey too

I worked for a company down in Austin for 3 years so I have had my share of Americana. I loved Austin but missed my home town.

Back to cars.

So how do you find the SS 2.0 shifts? I think Road & Track were saving grace in the RSX Type S comparison article. I drove both cars within hours and didnt notice it being better. I did notice a slightly better feel in the steering, but both cars did not give the feeling that they were driving you. Quite the opposite actually. Whats the difference between really, really good, and really good anyhow ? A good driver will be able to perform the same in both cockpits.

Actually I also drove a Nissan Sentra Se-r, That "fast" Neon, RSX Type-S and the Mazda 6 Sport Wagon within 2 days. Some may disagree, but heres how I ranked the cars overall... no surprise here...

SS 2.0
SRT-4

then way back here we have...

RSX
Sentra
Mazda 6 wagon.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:45 PM

Welcome to the Cobalt family! Maybe see you around Ottawa as well. I live in the West-end and work in the East-end of town. Black on Black SS/SC; had it almost 6months now, and loving every minute I'm in the car! (except for my trip to work on the 417 this morning... )
Old 09-08-2005, 06:56 PM

Great to meet another Ottawa SS 2.0

The dealership just called, MY CAR IS IN!

Picking it up tomorrow morning sometime, and heading way out of town into the hills to get me some of dat' supercharger action...

Having a cold one, dreamin...
Old 09-09-2005, 11:58 AM

Well,

That supercharger action will have to wait... lol

Just got the call I somewhat knew would come, my car wont be ready until next week, at least. The dealership they were supposed to trade backed out of the deal. The did find me another one and secured it for me.... Oh well, looks like I'll be car pooling again for the next week or so. I wanted that car today ....