General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Optima R Performance Module? Check This Out...Scam???

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Optima R Performance Module? Check This Out...Scam???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was lookin around on eBay and found a module that connects directly to your ecu that tricks it to thinking there is cold air in the engine so that it runs faster. its $20 and gives 15-25hp increase. dyno proven. gas mileage improved/hp and torque as well.

one seller quotes: "Environmental Control Unit, or ECU, regulates your fuel/oxygen ratio in modern automobiles (most fuel injected). The factory settings usually maintain a 14.7:1 Fuel/Oxygen ratio. What this performance chip does is increase performance by adjusting these ratios between 13 and 14.7. This is the best performance fuel curve you can achieve. The fuel/oxygen ratio must be between 13.1 and 17.1 to be efficient. If you were to lean that out, you would not be getting enough fuel. If you were any richer, you would not be able to efficiently combust all of the fuel. Leaning out the fuel/oxygen ratio will cause a power loss, but better fuel economy. Richening the mix will cause a very small reduction in fuel economy (usually less than ˝ MPG), but an increase in power. This kit consists of a small electronic device that can be inserted in only minutes. This modification works for these model(s) and make(s) listed in the title. (It must be non-turbo, fuel injected, and not use diesel fuel.) It fools your vehicle into thinking that the air temp. is colder, therefore causing it to advance the timing, this richens your air/fuel mixture giving you more horsepower." --------Anyone hear about this before and does it work??...would be sweet if it did.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:33 PM

i highly doubt that this works
Old 01-19-2006, 02:36 PM

E-Bay =

we have professionals still trying to crack the pcm algorithms....i highly doubt it will work. you get what you pay for.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:38 PM

no! dont do it. it will most likely be a 50 cent resistor.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:17 PM
Banned

No, they do not work.

All they do it make the car run pig rich, which wastes fuel, decreases power, blackens the exhaust, and causes carbon buildup inside the engine.

Complete waste of money, it should almost be considered a scam.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Banned

Those things might actually work. A vehicles ECU has different maps, each map is a set of codes, or instructions, so your vehicle runs optimized, or economic, depending on conditions. If its hot, and you accidently dumped 87 octane in your vehicle, expect to be on the lowest map. If its a bit chilly, and your on 93 or better octane, expect to be on the higher map. The problem is this, your vehicle will run a stoick mix down low, then, for fuel economy, will run a tad lean <not a dangerous level> afterwords and on top, it'll run a bit rich. A proper reflash or stand alone tuning can have u stoick at all times. Which is good. This chip seems like it will have you running on an optimized map at all times. Does this particular little thinggy work? I dont know, I think it might because Ive seen others like it work. Is it worth it? The damage this can do to your engine in the long run isnt worth it. Look up dynoflash, theyre expert EVO tuners, they can explain this better than me. In short I recommend you dont get it and get a stand alone, piggy back or wait for staged kits. If I am inacurate please dont troll or flame but feel free to correct me, i dont mind learning.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:58 PM

SCAM

makes your car run pig rich.

think about it...it tells the ecu that the coldest air charge possible is coming in. ecu reads that and adds fuel. the air charge coming in is not that cold.

adding fuel without adding the colder air to go with it richens the mixture, probably actually robbing power, just as the scam robs money from your pocket.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:03 PM

Scam.....................stay away..............far away. It is true, you get what you pay for. Spend some money and do it right the first time. See what others have done on this site and buy items that actually work and buy them from reputable sellers. There's a ton of info on this site to help you out. Don't be a dummy!!!!!!
Old 01-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Moderator Alumni
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SCAM.

Man, need a newbie section.