General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Recharged ac now car runs rough

Old 07-30-2014, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recharged ac now car runs rough

Bought my cobalt ss na two weeks ago and wanted the ac to be colder so I recharged it. Shortly after doing it the compressor started making a puff sounds like pressure was being released and ran rough. Turned ac off and idle is fine now but when I go into third gear (with ac off) the car bogs shortly at around 2500-3500 rpm and resumes. Any ideas on what caused this and how to fix it?

****Also ran rough at idle and 1-2 gears but now that problem doesnt seem to be relavant anymore and only sometimes bogs in third gear but never had this problem before. And I noticed my fans coming on sooner than they should I feel.

Last edited by 06CobaltSSNA; 07-30-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 06CobaltSSNA
Bought my cobalt ss na two weeks ago and wanted the ac to be colder so I recharged it. Shortly after doing it the compressor started making a puff sounds like pressure was being released and ran rough. Turned ac off and idle is fine now but when I go into third gear (with ac off) the car bogs shortly at around 2500-3500 rpm and resumes. Any ideas on what caused this and how to fix it?

****Also ran rough at idle and 1-2 gears but now that problem doesnt seem to be relavant anymore and only sometimes bogs in third gear but never had this problem before. And I noticed my fans coming on sooner than they should I feel.
Are you sure you put in the proper amount of refrigerant ? You could have over filled the system. And cause damage to the ac compressor. Too high of pressure and refrigerant will ruin your ac compressor. I don't know if it will cause your car to run rough. Or If that is another problem altogether seperate. But I would have your ac checked by a mechanic. Or you could be replacing the compressor soon unfourtanitly.

Last edited by QuickSilver_SS; 07-31-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:35 AM

Received 287 Likes on 265 Posts
please tell me you have the proper gauges and know how to properly read them.... If not kiss that compressor
Old 07-31-2014, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by BlackielawlessSS
please tell me you have the proper gauges and know how to properly read them.... If not kiss that compressor

I'm willing to bet he over filler it and has ruined the compressor. It doesn't take much extra refrigerant and/or excess High side pressure to log our ac compressors. I would say based on the sounds he is saying it is making. It is over filled.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:00 AM
Premium Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
It's not to often that the do it yourself kits work to recharge the A/.C
Old 07-31-2014, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by mr bill
It's not to often that the do it yourself, kits work to recharge the A/.C
That is incorrect. They work just fine. As long as you do not exceed the recommended high side pressure. By using the proper gauges and monitoring both the high and low side pressures. They can work just fine. It is people who just blindly dump too much refrigerant in. Destroy there ac system. And then blame it on the dyi kit.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:10 AM

It's not to often that the do it yourself kits work to recharge the A/.C
Filled mine yesterday and it went fine. Just need to follow instructions lol, mine was completely empty and it took only 1 can and about 1/8 of a second can to fill it to 38 PSI.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:17 AM
Premium Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Hope it works for a long time for you
Old 07-31-2014, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by MaxDugas
Filled mine yesterday and it went fine. Just need to follow instructions lol, mine was completely empty and it took only 1 can and about 1/8 of a second can to fill it to 38 PSI.
Exactly my point. As long as a person understands how to use the kits properly. It will be just fine.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:32 AM

Hope it works for a long time for you
As long as he filled it with the proper refrigerant. It will work properly and last until something else in the system goes bad. One of the leading causes of ac leaking fluid and dying charges is either breaks and or tears in a seal. Or the improper refrigerant. In some cases the refrigerant molecules are too small and leak slowly if the proper refrigerant isn't used.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, he overfilled it.

SOURCE: I overfilled mine a month ago...
Old 07-31-2014, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by QuickSilver_SS
That is incorrect. They work just fine. As long as you do not exceed the recommended high side pressure. By using the proper gauges and monitoring both the high and low side pressures. They can work just fine. It is people who just blindly dump too much refrigerant in. Destroy there ac system. And then blame it on the dyi kit.
Well theres the reason why they dont work highlighted right here. You NEVER fill on the high side, you always fill on the low side, the recharge cans will only read low side pressure not high side pressure.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Spawne32
Well theres the reason why they dont work highlighted right here. You NEVER fill on the high side, you always fill on the low side, the recharge cans will only read low side pressure not high side pressure.
Agreed. Thus why I never said to fill from either side. However. I always watch my high side pressure both during and after a fill. Its not hard to look up a manufactures specs for the recommended pressure for both high and low side. I have saw people over fill there systems and cause too much pressure on the compressor. Thus seeing a high side pressure of over 300+ psi. Causing the compressor to disengage its clutch and not spin it at all. After relieving the excess pressure the system may work as long as the compressor wasn't damaged. The kit I purchased from eBay has more then one gauge. One for low side. Which is always refered to as the service port. As well as one to monitor the high pressure side.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by QuickSilver_SS
Agreed. Thus why I never said to fill from either side. However. I always watch my high side pressure both during and after a fill. Its not hard to look up a manufactures specs for the recommended pressure for both high and low side. I have saw people over fill there systems and cause too much pressure on the compressor. Thus seeing a high side pressure of over 300+ psi. Causing the compressor to disengage its clutch and not spin it at all. After relieving the excess pressure the system may work as long as the compressor wasn't damaged. The kit I purchased from eBay has more then one gauge. One for low side. Which is always refered to as the service port. As well as one to monitor the high pressure side.
I know, ive been doin AC for years now on car's. Manifold gauges are essential to diagnosing any AC problem as well as repairing them.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Spawne32
I know, ive been doin AC for years now on car's. Manifold gauges are essential to diagnosing any AC problem as well as repairing them.
I agree. Its definitely essential to watch high side pressure as well.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:59 PM

I appreciate all of your answer with the ac problem which I do know I over filled. But I dont care so much about the ac at this point my issue is now I have a misfire sometimes at low acceleration and have no check engine light. Car ran perfect until I attempted to charge ac and has been running a little off. Any ideas?
Old 08-01-2014, 10:05 PM

If it happens when AC is off its totally unrelated, have you checked your plugs? Or could be a glitchy sensor ie. TPS dropping out at part throttle, I'm surprised you don't have a CEL if it's bogging/misfiring
Old 08-03-2014, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Celestial739
If it happens when AC is off its totally unrelated, have you checked your plugs? Or could be a glitchy sensor ie. TPS dropping out at part throttle, I'm surprised you don't have a CEL if it's bogging/misfiring
How would you check tps? I'm going to change plugs tomorrow and want to clean tps sensor