General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

securuty key??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
securuty key??

Hey guys.

2006 cobalt SS n/a.

The key I use for my car is the normal GM one with the black top circle with the bow-tie etched in it and it's a "+" key. Most newer GM keys are "PK3" I've noticed. My Monte (2004) is just a blank. No etching. Regardless, here's my problem.

When I use my key fob to unlock the doors, everything's fine. If I try to unlock the doors with just the key, the door opens, then the alarm proceeds to chime a few times, then the alarm fully goes off. WTF. Now on my Monte, the key opens the doors without going off, but if you do the trunk with the doors locked, the alarm goes off. I haven't tried the trunk either way with the Cobalt yet. Now, at work yeaterday, I drove a base model Cobalt coupe. It had no fob. I unlocked the door with the key, got in and started it with no alarm at all. Is there some way of turning this alarm key thing off? What if the fob dies? I won't be able to get into my car without it setting off the alarm? That's retarded.

Also, is there any way of turning off the seat belt chimes? Like unplugging something under the seat or anything? In the Monte, the chime goes off a few times then it's done. Not in the Cobalt.

Old 01-02-2006, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy
What if the fob dies? I won't be able to get into my car without it setting off the alarm? That's retarded.
The DIC will tell you when the battery in the fob is low.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:02 PM

hey there AWB, check your owners manual. it tell you how to program your alarm chimes, when to go off or not go off....or you might have a short somewhere.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by artawesome
hey there AWB, check your owners manual. it tell you how to program your alarm chimes, when to go off or not go off....or you might have a short somewhere.
But he's talking about it not going off when the door is opened with a key. There is no way to change that. The only ones in the DIC are for whether it beeps when you lock/unlock using the key fob.

I know exactly what he's talking about too. Although mine doesn't always set the alarm off, it never disarms the security. On a very rare occasion it might let me start the car if I've used the key to unlock it, but the security light stays on. Usually though it will not allow me to start the car. I'm wondering if a reflash would fix this, since I also have the instrument panel lights which go on and off randomly and my high beams don't always work...
Old 01-02-2006, 04:36 PM
Banned

i've never tried to open the door with the key, so can't help you there.. as far as the trunk, my alarm never goes off from opening the trunk
Old 01-02-2006, 04:52 PM

newer cavaliers are like that too...
just use the key fob, the car comes with two, and

WEAR YOUR SEAT BELT!
Old 01-02-2006, 09:12 PM

Hey guys.

2006 cobalt SS n/a.

The key I use for my car is the normal GM one with the black top circle with the bow-tie etched in it and it's a "+" key. Most newer GM keys are "PK3" I've noticed. My Monte (2004) is just a blank. No etching. Regardless, here's my problem.

When I use my key fob to unlock the doors, everything's fine. If I try to unlock the doors with just the key, the door opens, then the alarm proceeds to chime a few times, then the alarm fully goes off. WTF. Now on my Monte, the key opens the doors without going off, but if you do the trunk with the doors locked, the alarm goes off. I haven't tried the trunk either way with the Cobalt yet. Now, at work yeaterday, I drove a base model Cobalt coupe. It had no fob. I unlocked the door with the key, got in and started it with no alarm at all. Is there some way of turning this alarm key thing off? What if the fob dies? I won't be able to get into my car without it setting off the alarm? That's retarded.

Your owners manual will answer all of your questions. If the doors are locked with the fob it sets the alarm. If a door/trunk are then unlocked with the key, the computer doesn't know whether someone unlocked it with the key or someone broke in the car (the lock is manual so the computer doesn't know you did it with the key) therefore the alarm goes off. To disable it, either put the key in the ignition or hit unlock with the fob.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:30 PM

So if I lock the car by pressing the lock button on the inside of the door I can use just the key? But as soon as I use the fob to lock it, I better use the fob to get back in? Is that it at all? lol.

Yeah, for the Monte, I can get into the door and start it just fine with just the key. But if the car's locked and I try to unlock the trunk, it goes off. ******* new cars. lol.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:03 AM

Check page 2-14,2-15,2-16 and 3-44 in manual. Is yours set to RKE or passive. Mine is set to passive and behaves like you stated. If I can get the key in the ignition in time it will shut off the alarm. If you set it to RKE it might behave diff. I hope this helps.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:41 AM

My quesiton is why would you even use the Key to open the door? After my Cavy was totaled, and I was using my girls old century, it was a pain to have to manually unlock my door. I'm happy I have it back. The best part is I don't have to worry about any scratches around the keyhole from misses.

My next question is why do you need to know how to turn off the seatbelt chime. You are wearing it, right?

A couple weeks ago I was at work. We had a call come in over the raido. It was a young teen/early 20s MVA (Motor Vehicle Accident) with an unrestrained driver with an obvious broken femur. First thing I heard was one of the doctors say something like "******* kid. wear your seatbelt"
Old 01-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Premium Member

The differences have nothing to do with your key markings really (more on that in a minute) It's all about improved content theft security and a GM migration away from having mechanical door lock cylinders at all (or even having a "key" whatsoever for that matter-check out the Vette, XLR or other newer cars)

Quite simply, unlike your Monte there is NO system wiring that is routed to the newer door lock cylinders (and is typical in GM systems) as it is just a simple voltage based input that can be very easily spoofed, resulting in reduced deterrence.

The newer systems rely entirely on a "learned" remote or the transponder within the key to be the ONLY methods of disabling/disarming the content theft system upon entry. (not just a simple switch that closes to ground like your Monte) which is much more secure. And since 99% of the people will want to use their remote to lock/unlock their cars it allows the content theft to arm/disarm passively.

So in short, your Cobalt is functioning as designed and one of the reasons passive arming (which can arm your CTD without even locking the doors) is not "on" by factory default. That "feature" maybe makes a little more sense on convertible top cars where one might leave the car for short periods "open air" yet "armed" - anyone opens your door HONK HONK HONK... (of course they could still reach in and steal your CDs or radio knobs )

The Vehicle Theft Deterrent (VTD) or Immobilizer systems between your 04 Monte and 06 Cobalt are nearly identical. The PK3 marking on the key stands for Pass Key III and the (+) stands for Pass Key 3 PLUS. Both use an individually "learned" transponder (encapsulated within the rubber head of the key) to acknowledge/permit vehicle starting. The 05 Cobalt and any year Redline use the less complicated (and somewhat less secure) PassLock system.

HTH
Regards
WopOnTour
Old 01-03-2006, 10:52 PM
Doc

thank you WOT
Old 01-04-2006, 12:22 AM

That was damn helpful!

* thumbs up *

So in other words, there's really no way around the fob thing?

Is the base/LS model Cobalts different? As I said, I got into a base Cobalt could with just the key and started it with no problem...
Old 01-04-2006, 02:38 AM
Premium Member

That was damn helpful!

* thumbs up *

So in other words, there's really no way around the fob thing?

Is the base/LS model Cobalts different? As I said, I got into a base Cobalt could with just the key and started it with no problem...
VTD= Vehicle Theft Deterrant amd CTD= Content Theft Deterrant
Base, Base Cobalt (i.e. without power door locks) then VTD=YES but CTD=NO.
The thing to remember is it's technically 2 different systems (VTD and CTD) but they share certain input and output devices. So even the most basic 2006 Cobalt HAS the Pass Key 3+ Vehicle Theft Deterrent (VTD/Immobilizer- with transponder in key) as standard equipment but the Content Theft Deterrent (horns honking with light flashing) is optional. But even on the base cars various optional "power convenience packages" that include power door locks can still ordered, which will include the remote Keyless Entry, and therefore automatically include CTD.

So yes technically a single key is all you ever need, as the transponder within the key itself must have been the "correct" one for that car you started. (I'm assuming it didnt have power locks) But had the vehicle been equipped with Content Theft System (w/power locks) that had been ARMED by either electrically locking the doors via the door switches or remote (OR via "passive" arming feature had it been configured as such in the personalization settings) the horns would have cycled in a pre-trigger (short warning chirps) mode when you opened the door (after unlocking it with the key) until you turned ON the ignition with a "learned" key.If you fail to do that within 10 seconds it moves to full alarm mode where both horns and lamps cycle.

Where as on your Monte the CTD would have been immediately disarmed when you unlocked the door with the key (no horns and lights) BUT the car still wouldnt start unless you turned a correct (learned) PK3 key in the ignition switch.

Clear as mud? LOL ...sorry... hard to lay it out there so it makes sense sometimes

HTH
WOT
Old 01-04-2006, 12:04 PM

Wow. lol.

In other words... All I can use is the fob for the trunk and doors, then the "+" key for the ignition. lol.

In the monte, there's no marking on the key. I don't use a fob for the car. I stick it in the lock, unlock it, and start it. I then lock the door with the inside switch before I leave.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:58 AM

having the seatbelt off increases 5hp!! the magnetic force created when the seatbelt clicks together adds weight to the car! what do you wanna wear your seatbelt for??
being pulled over by cops for not wearing it also makes you feel refreshed knowing your tax dollars are being put to good use!!

just kiddin guys