General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Should I sell my LT for an SS/SC next year?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I sell my LT for an SS/SC next year?

I'm contemplating on selling my LT next year for an SS/SC when the 08 models are out. I really want a manual transmission instead of Auto and I like the look of the SS/SC better. I have lots more options for mods with the SS/SC as well, not to mention its faster. So a couple questions SS/SC owners.

How much is your auto insurance a month?

How is gas mileage compared to an LT?

I'm I batshit insane and should stay with my LT?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My insurance is 270 a month for my 06 SS/SC. But your looking to get an 08 which could be much different than the current gen. The looks are expected to be different and possibly a different motor so a estimated gas mileage is outta the question. Im getting around 24mpg though if the engine remains the same. But if I were you Id wait and see how the 08's do on their first year is dramatically different and get a 09 when some of the bugs are worked out. Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:35 PM

im 19 and my insurance is only 160 a month. i get around 27 mpg mixed driving. I would wait and see if they ever do 0% financing again and jump on it.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Banned

id get it if i were you
Old 02-07-2007, 11:40 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. Insurance is probably going to be more expensive for me than you guys since I'm only 18 and I live in Vegas. (accidents happen WAY too much here)

Another question, should I private sell it or trade it in?
Old 02-08-2007, 01:40 PM

Just keep in mind that you will probably get hosed on the deal; how much do you currently owe on your LT?
Old 02-08-2007, 02:04 PM
Banned

how much is a ss/sc car payment on average? with and with out 0%

anybody\?

Last edited by nramlow2006; 02-08-2007 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-08-2007, 02:32 PM

just buy my 2006 S/C and don't take the depreciation hit of a new car

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/complete-cars-101/sale-2006-ss-s-c-46502/
Old 02-08-2007, 02:34 PM

A couple of notes on finances. I noticed that you were 18, and it's really easy to make some damning mistakes... Chances are if you are worried about your insurance going up $50 a month, you are NOT in a position financially to buy a new car
Someone already asked the most important question in the equation - how much do you owe on your current car? If the answer is nothing - meaning you received the car as a gift and whoever paid cash for it, and you have the PHYSICAL title, then do whatever you like -you have a $10,000 car as a trade-in.
If you are still making payments on your car - list it and see what you can get for it. If you had a good interest rate in the first place and have made payments for a couple of years, chances are your payoff is about what it's worth on the private market. Save up some $$ for a decent downpayment, sell it, pay off your current loan and buy something new.
If you didn't have a great interest rate, chances are you are still upside down on your loan - you have negative equity. If you were to trade it in, chances are your credit would reflect negatively because you're upside down (even if you've made all your payments on time) and they'll refinance the difference of the loan on top of a new loan. I.e., if you have $13,000 on a car with a trade-in of $10,000 - they'll put that extra $3,000 on top of your new loan. You'll in effect be paying off both cars, and keeping one.
If someone else bought the car for you, like your parents for a graduation gift, you should talk to them about what you should do. They may even still be making payments on it, and the car is likely legally in their name - which doesn't allow you any control without them retitling it to you.

On 0.0% financing - if he's 18, he probably won't qualify. This is usually for "exceptionally qualified" buyers, i.e., those with a credit score of 740ish plus. He likley won't have a credit score that high just based on his time as an adult. Chances are you are looking at a student-type loan, those average 9-12%.

Finally - if you are at all concerned about montly payments - you're on the wrong side. Monthly payments are entirely dependent on the interest rate and the length of loan. For example, you could have a 36 month loan at 2% and pay the same per month as someone with a 60 month loan at 14%. However, your total payments would be less with the first loan - it's all about how much MORE than the value of the car is going to be tied up in the financing.

I highly encourage anyone - especially young buyers to read this site, it is superb. Educate yourself or you WILL GET SHAFTED. It's privately run and doesn't ask for anything - it's just for consumer education.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/
Old 02-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Banned

in all honesty with the parts out today and aftermarket support, id just convert the interior to resemble the SS/SC, and add a aftermarket supercharger or turbocharger to get the same amount of HP.

i actualy had a argument today (30min ago) about this.

she said she wants a ss/sc...yet she doesnt know how to drive a stick....i said i can put a turbo on the car and you could hang with a ss/sc...she said but i like the way it looks...so i said its a simple body kit swap, i could even get the door inserts and seats if she wanted...

it'd save alot of money to throw a turbo, do the interior, and body kit vs trading in for a new car.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:50 PM

I totally agree. As a Marine I constantly deal with young Marines buying things they don't need or can't afford. There's nothing worse than seeing a lance corporal who makes about 25,000 a year drive around in a new BMW 3-Series. You know he can't afford it.. and I especially know because I was there myself at that point in my youth.

I further agree with the re-design. Come up with a vision of what you'd like your car to look like a year from now - and push towards that. There are some AMAZING looking LS/LT's on this site. It's all about planning - decide what you want to do and go towards that. If you just want to go faster, buy a motorcycle.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:53 PM

If they go with 0% financing again anytime soon, I'm going to jump on board and get a nice Arrival Blue SS/SC
Old 02-08-2007, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by GSoccer24
just buy my 2006 S/C and don't take the depreciation hit of a new car

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46502
Oooh, I'll think about it. You have the EXACT rims I want too.

Originally Posted by DarkSergeant
A couple of notes on finances. I noticed that you were 18, and it's really easy to make some damning mistakes... Chances are if you are worried about your insurance going up $50 a month, you are NOT in a position financially to buy a new car
Someone already asked the most important question in the equation - how much do you owe on your current car? If the answer is nothing - meaning you received the car as a gift and whoever paid cash for it, and you have the PHYSICAL title, then do whatever you like -you have a $10,000 car as a trade-in.
If you are still making payments on your car - list it and see what you can get for it. If you had a good interest rate in the first place and have made payments for a couple of years, chances are your payoff is about what it's worth on the private market. Save up some $$ for a decent downpayment, sell it, pay off your current loan and buy something new.
If you didn't have a great interest rate, chances are you are still upside down on your loan - you have negative equity. If you were to trade it in, chances are your credit would reflect negatively because you're upside down (even if you've made all your payments on time) and they'll refinance the difference of the loan on top of a new loan. I.e., if you have $13,000 on a car with a trade-in of $10,000 - they'll put that extra $3,000 on top of your new loan. You'll in effect be paying off both cars, and keeping one.
If someone else bought the car for you, like your parents for a graduation gift, you should talk to them about what you should do. They may even still be making payments on it, and the car is likely legally in their name - which doesn't allow you any control without them retitling it to you.

On 0.0% financing - if he's 18, he probably won't qualify. This is usually for "exceptionally qualified" buyers, i.e., those with a credit score of 740ish plus. He likley won't have a credit score that high just based on his time as an adult. Chances are you are looking at a student-type loan, those average 9-12%.

Finally - if you are at all concerned about montly payments - you're on the wrong side. Monthly payments are entirely dependent on the interest rate and the length of loan. For example, you could have a 36 month loan at 2% and pay the same per month as someone with a 60 month loan at 14%. However, your total payments would be less with the first loan - it's all about how much MORE than the value of the car is going to be tied up in the financing.

I highly encourage anyone - especially young buyers to read this site, it is superb. Educate yourself or you WILL GET SHAFTED. It's privately run and doesn't ask for anything - it's just for consumer education.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/
I owe nothing on the car.

Originally Posted by TCarter
in all honesty with the parts out today and aftermarket support, id just convert the interior to resemble the SS/SC, and add a aftermarket supercharger or turbocharger to get the same amount of HP.

i actualy had a argument today (30min ago) about this.

she said she wants a ss/sc...yet she doesnt know how to drive a stick....i said i can put a turbo on the car and you could hang with a ss/sc...she said but i like the way it looks...so i said its a simple body kit swap, i could even get the door inserts and seats if she wanted...

it'd save alot of money to throw a turbo, do the interior, and body kit vs trading in for a new car.

I have an automatic though, isn't putting a supercharger on an automatic kinda, useless?

But hey if you can find me a supercharger or turbocharger for a 2.2 automatic that will bring me up to speed with an SS/SC. I'm all for it. I'd probably do that instead of selling my car.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:56 PM

Get a GTO for a couple thousand more. There are plenty sitting for around $27,000.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:01 PM

Yeah, or wait until the GTO's are pulled off the market and the bottom drops out on their value. That is absolutely the fastest car for the money in America - and I like them, very sleeper.
Or get a new Camaro when they come out.
18, live in Vegas and have a paid off car. Who hooked you up?
Old 02-08-2007, 03:09 PM

Yeah, or wait until the GTO's are pulled off the market and the bottom drops out on their value. That is absolutely the fastest car for the money in America - and I like them, very sleeper.
Or get a new Camaro when they come out.
18, live in Vegas and have a paid off car. Who hooked you up?
My mother has alzhiemers and half-blind and I have to take care of her, cook her food, handle all of her bills and finances. I'm pretty much her nurse.

She thought it was only fair since I'm probably going to be taking care of her till the day she dies. She absolutely loves the car, only thing she doesn't like is that its kind of hard for her to get in. Other than that she loves it.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:19 PM

You should definitely look at getting something a bit bigger then. Do you prefer a stick or an auto - I'm guessing since you probably take her places, space is an issue. You may want to look into the 2.4 Sedan if you like autos, I have a 2.4 coupe MTx and unless you are driving it specifically to be a race car it is MORE than sufficient for hauling ass around town.

If you want something really quick and different, and aren't afraid of a different manufacturer or type of car, Dodge is supposed to come out with the Caliber SRT4 this summer - it's a turbocharged crossover rated at 305 hp and weighs about 3,000 lbs. Should really haul and I think list is supposed to be around $25k.

The reason I say all that is sometimes I do question the practicality of the 2.0 SS/SC even though it is a beautiful car. Plus the main reason I opted against it was all the talk about problems with the SC...

Please don't ever buy a car based on it's wheels. That's like buying a diamond because you like it's setting. They can changed *cheaply*.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:22 PM

You should definitely look at getting something a bit bigger then. Do you prefer a stick or an auto - I'm guessing since you probably take her places, space is an issue. You may want to look into the 2.4 Sedan if you like autos, I have a 2.4 coupe MTx and unless you are driving it specifically to be a race car it is MORE than sufficient for hauling ass around town.

If you want something really quick and different, and aren't afraid of a different manufacturer or type of car, Dodge is supposed to come out with the Caliber SRT4 this summer - it's a turbocharged crossover rated at 305 hp and weighs about 3,000 lbs. Should really haul and I think list is supposed to be around $25k.

The reason I say all that is sometimes I do question the practicality of the 2.0 SS/SC even though it is a beautiful car. Plus the main reason I opted against it was all the talk about problems with the SC...

Please don't ever buy a car based on it's wheels. That's like buying a diamond because you like it's setting. They can changed *cheaply*.
Nah I think I'll stick with a coupe Cobalt.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:16 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
No... find a nice used Evo!
Old 02-22-2008, 12:16 AM

or buy something with an actual set of *****.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:32 AM

...about 5months late thier buddy. lol.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:36 AM

Haha.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:21 AM

This is ancient.

Who revived this dead thread?