General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Upper trans mount upgrade worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 11:50 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh@ottp
OTTP,ZZP, and even Powell all use the same mount bushing.

As for the front mount being the weakest. It's best if you know what you are talking about before you give advice..... Maybe you guys should play with the stock upper trans mount. It is in fact the weakest mount on the car. Don't take my work for it though, ask anyone who has removed there trans. The front mount and the rear mount are of a similar design and strength. GM also replaced the upper trans mount on the race cars, along with the front and rear mounts.
Doubt the bushing are the same, but I guess you would know the competitors stuff.
Definitely know what im talking about in the sense of weakest, I ment replacing the front mount shows the most noticeable change for hard driving. Sure GM changed the mounts probably vibrated like hell too. I know the upper trans is the softest soft. I literally said get a front and upper trans mount you can stay with the rear stock. He's not making his car into a race car so the stock rear will be fine for him.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Devin86
Doubt the bushing are the same, but I guess you would know the competitors stuff.
Definitely know what im talking about in the sense of weakest, I ment replacing the front mount shows the most noticeable change for hard driving. Sure GM changed the mounts probably vibrated like hell too. I know the upper trans is the softest soft. I literally said get a front and upper trans mount you can stay with the rear stock. He's not making his car into a race car so the stock rear will be fine for him.
Don't mind him. He's just trying to sell a product.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:05 PM

Received 131 Likes on 108 Posts
The rear stock rear mount is fine. The stock bushing will probably outlast the ottp one anyways. zzp's newest mount is a rotated rear for cars with a rotated front mount for lower cars you can try that if u want. The front mount is the weaker of the 3 that's why you change it. The upper trans mount just came out not to long ago? And everybody did just fine without it for years. But now it's here so grab it Just cause it says upgrade in the description doesn't mean it's better. It's just different.
Zzp came out with new trans mounts? Do they actually rotate the trans this time?
Old 02-17-2017, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by double clutch
Zzp came out with new trans mounts? Do they actually rotate the trans this time?
Yeah zpp has rear that's rotated now. It doesn't have the spacer, just a solid piece. The other rear they had was just stiffer. Now ppl with lower cars and zzp mounts will be much happier lol if they want to pop that new 1 on.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:58 PM

Yeah zpp has rear that's rotated now. It doesn't have the spacer, just a solid piece. The other rear they had was just stiffer. Now ppl with lower cars and zzp mounts will be much happier lol if they want to pop that new 1 on.
Everyone should be buying that one. Not just the lowered cars. The stock height one isnt doing much of anything with just a stiffer bushing.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:00 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Can the stock height cars run the rotated one without issue?

I plan to lower eventually, but I'll likely do the mounts before that.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by double clutch
Everyone should be buying that one. Not just the lowered cars. The stock height one isnt doing much of anything with just a stiffer bushing.
The cars with Powell stage1 or ottp mounts with a spacer in the rear don't need them. But if u have zzp mounts yes get the new rotated rear
Old 02-17-2017, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by SS_MuNky
Can the stock height cars run the rotated one without issue?

I plan to lower eventually, but I'll likely do the mounts before that.
Yes man get them reguardless. The stock mounts don't let the engine set proper with a manual trans. So the rotated mounts help 100%
Old 02-17-2017, 03:15 PM

Good to know!
When the time comes (likely later this summer) I'll be getting all powell mounts, likely his suspension mounts too. He's somewhat local so I can pick them up.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:18 PM

The cars with Powell stage1 or ottp mounts with a spacer in the rear don't need them. But if u have zzp mounts yes get the new rotated rear
You do know that the whole point of rotated trans mounts is to rotate the trans right? This is done by raising the rear and lowering the front of the transmission to change the geometry with the axles. So how do they not need the rear?
Old 02-17-2017, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by SS_MuNky
Good to know!
When the time comes (likely later this summer) I'll be getting all powell mounts, likely his suspension mounts too. He's somewhat local so I can pick them up.
lucky wish I didn't have to pay that damn exchange rate lol! Yeah get his trans mounts and control arm bushings you won't be sorry!
Old 02-17-2017, 03:25 PM

Haha, YOU wish you didn't have to pay exchange?
A $500 order from say ZZP costs me $650 Canadian, plus the raping I get for brokerage.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:30 PM

Haha ture I got 1 vendor up there u got like 3 down here to order from lol
Old 02-17-2017, 03:38 PM
Former Vendor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Bushings are 100 percent the same now. In the past they weren't.

The front isn't the most noticeable change. The reason you think that is because of marketing. There is no easy way to change the location of the stock front mount with a spacer. The rear is easily done. So it makes sense to sell it that way. The problem with keeping a stock rear mount is that it will just compress the bushing to get back to where it wants to be. A front mount with rear spacer is only a half fix.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Josh@ottp
Bushings are 100 percent the same now. In the past they weren't.

The front isn't the most noticeable change. The reason you think that is because of marketing. There is no easy way to change the location of the stock front mount with a spacer. The rear is easily done. So it makes sense to sell it that way. The problem with keeping a stock rear mount is that it will just compress the bushing to get back to where it wants to be. A front mount with rear spacer is only a half fix.
For him the stock will work fine I think. If he gets more into racing all the time sure get the aftermarket rear mount. I've gotten 2.0 a d 2.1 60fts countless times on street tires with just Powell stage 1 so have many other people. Can the really beat that to much.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My purchase will most likely be ottp stage 1 and to hopefully fix some of my hard shifting ottp short shifter with bushing and clamp along with new shifter cables. Hope this makes the ride more comfortable