General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Pirelli

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pirelli

So I am debating on putting some Pirellis on my car to replace my old beat contis but before I do, I want the cobalt forums take on this. Has anyone on here used the Pirelli p zero all season? What pros.and.cons do they have? How many miles did they last for.you? My main concern with theses tires is no rim protection and I'm afraid they might get torn up Faster.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:47 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
i think the LSJ came with the P Zero's on them as oem.

I had them and wasnt impressed, they worn out pretty quick with normal driving. Are you just looking for a good all season ?
Old 01-10-2017, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
those came stock on my LSJ i believe and they were unimpressive especially for the price.

My MK7 gti also came with perelli pzero neros as all seasons and they are mediocre at everything and good at nothing, not to mention shriek extremely loud when any loss of traction occurs.

would not recommend. I would suggest Continental DWS.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by yellowsupercharged06
i think the LSJ came with the P Zero's on them as oem.

I had them and wasnt impressed, they worn out pretty quick with normal driving. Are you just looking for a good all season ?
yes. a good all season would be nice. must have proper speed rating though. i stupidly bought tires with a V speed rating because when i bought my car, the owner had Contis with a V rating on it so i assumed that is what my car took, so when i go to have my new tires put on, the should wouldnt do it because our cars take Y. stupid mistake but oh well. thats life though. i know to get Y tires now.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
You're not taking the car above 149mph so it's not a big deal. The only thing is that a higher speed rating correlates to a better tire so you'd want a better speed rating for that. Low speed ratings for our aspect ratios are rare though.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:54 AM

well two shops refused to put them on because of the improper speed rating so i said screw it and returned the tires. but Exninja, what do you think would be a good tire for my car? 245/40/18
Old 01-10-2017, 11:01 AM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Don't do it. Get Hankook Evo V12's.

Pirelli's are way too expensive.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by cluelessk

do they make an all season? im looking for an all season.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:55 AM

245? Dang.

I have BFGoodrich g-Force A/S right now. Good tire for traction considering all-season. Noisy on the highway. I just got them early September so I can't speak for durability.

Previous were Nitto Motivo. Not quite there with traction but made up for it in treadwear. They do, however, lack in rim protection.

Previous to that were Eagle GT. Traction was decent but wore out ridiculously fast for an A/S.

It should be noted that I live where snow doesn't exist and rain is almost as rare. I get A/S for treadwear. I don't track the car and don't race on the streets so I don't need summer performance.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:01 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by cluelessk

x2
That's what I ran last summer, great tires!!

Get a summer set and winter set. All season tires are a joke.

Next summer I'll be getting rid of the Evo's on 17" wheels because I'm picking up some 18s in a few days. I'll likely be putting Hankook RS-3s on them. Holding off on that though because I see they have an RS-4 coming out in March

In the winter I run a dedicated winter tire. This year I'm trying out some Starfires, not a bad tire so far. Far better than the Continental garbage I had last winter.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by exninja
245? Dang.

I have BFGoodrich g-Force A/S right now. Good tire for traction considering all-season. Noisy on the highway. I just got them early September so I can't speak for durability.

Previous were Nitto Motivo. Not quite there with traction but made up for it in treadwear. They do, however, lack in rim protection.

Previous to that were Eagle GT. Traction was decent but wore out ridiculously fast for an A/S.

It should be noted that I live where snow doesn't exist and rain is almost as rare. I get A/S for treadwear. I don't track the car and don't race on the streets so I don't need summer performance.
not many people run a 245. the previous owner had installed them and i ended up loving it when i bought the car. nice and wide. the funny part is that they dont rub at all AND my car has been lowered. very weird right? lol. i know im not getting pirellis's now. im starting to consider Michelin Pilot Sports. either that or just stay with Conti's. what do you think?
Old 01-10-2017, 12:27 PM

i think i am going with BF Goodrich tires. they are a good price and are rated as number two by tirerack.com compared to all other high performance A/S tires. as for road noise, well the cobalts aren't overly quiet cars anyways. my lincoln town car was nice and quiet. lol.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Isaac Lewis
i think i am going with BF Goodrich tires. they are a good price and are rated as number two by tirerack.com compared to all other high performance A/S tires. as for road noise, well the cobalts aren't overly quiet cars anyways. my lincoln town car was nice and quiet. lol.
I like mine so far. If they last decently long they would be my favorite tire so far, mostly due to the lack of rim protection on the Motivos. If they outlast the Motivos (which I HIGHLY doubt would happen) then my choice is easy.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by exninja
I like mine so far. If they last decently long they would be my favorite tire so far, mostly due to the lack of rim protection on the Motivos. If they outlast the Motivos (which I HIGHLY doubt would happen) then my choice is easy.
then my choice is clear!!! screw those Italian piece of crap tires that are overrated because a lambo might drive off the dealer lot with them on.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:42 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The LSJ stock tires are the Pzero Nero summer tire.

When I had my LSJ I put on Pzero all-seasons, Kuhmos and Goodyear GTs. The Goodyear GTs were a much better tire, they lasted longer and had better grip then either of the other two.

On my LNF I have always stuck with the Conti summer tires. They have pretty good wear and traction is exceptional.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:53 PM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by SS_MuNky

Get a summer set and winter set. All season tires are a joke.
This.
An all-season tire is ALWAYS a compromise.
It doesn't seem to make much sense to spend extra money on wider tires if you're running all seasons. Standard size summers will outperform them, as will standard size winters.
The following users liked this post:
cluelessk (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 04:29 PM

i would buy summer tires now....but i live in Pennsylvania. and i daily my car so i believe all seasons will be a good choice for me.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:42 PM

Received 140 Likes on 120 Posts
i would buy summer tires now....but i live in Pennsylvania. and i daily my car so i believe all seasons will be a good choice for me.
buying a set of winter tires and cheap wheels is much better in central pa then just rocking all seasons, trust me on this. i had a set of winter tires and wheels and then summer wheels and tires. its much easier to get through the snow and slop with a winter tire then an all season.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:59 PM

i believe all seasons will be a good choice for me.
Sorry to say this but all seasons are never a good choice, take it from a Canadian. In quebec winter tires are LAW, and there is talk of them doing it in Ontario too, and I think its a great idea. I drove one winter years ago with all seasons, never again. Having dedicated snow tires is worth every penny.

I just put winters on my car for $500 canadian, I'll be spending upwards of $1000 canadian for my summers

I will say, exninja buying all seasons for treadwear, that makes sense if you don't care about performance, all seasons will have treadwear ratings sometimes in the 500s. Those Hankook Evos are a 320. The RS-3s I want are a 200.
The following users liked this post:
exninja (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 05:57 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by SS_MuNky
Sorry to say this but all seasons are never a good choice, take it from a Canadian. In quebec winter tires are LAW, and there is talk of them doing it in Ontario too, and I think its a great idea. I drove one winter years ago with all seasons, never again. Having dedicated snow tires is worth every penny.

I just put winters on my car for $500 canadian, I'll be spending upwards of $1000 canadian for my summers
it really depends on where you are. im near vancouver bc, we generally see little snow (this is the first year i can remember we have had snow on the ground for more than a week), and i typically dont drive in it if i can avoid it. when i bought my car 9 years ago i bought a set of 16s and i put a set of snowies on as there is no way in hell i will drive all year on summer tires. i dont regret the snow tires, however on past cars ive driven with all seasons through winter with no issues.

if you live somewhere that gets very little snow and you can avoid driving in it, go for all seasons. it saves a lot of hassle of having 2 sets of wheels and tires, storing, etc. however if your going to get a seperate set of wheels for winter, may as well just put snow tires on them
Old 01-11-2017, 09:53 AM

Yeah, and I get that, Vancouver is more rainy with little snow, I;d have a hard time justifying snow tires there as well, unless you leave the area regularly. But I'm in Ontario, he's in PA, before I stuck my foot in my mouth I asked my brother (long haul trucker, goes through PA all the time), he said that some parts of PA actually get worse winters than Ontario, and my personal opinion in my climate is dedicated winter and summer tires are the best/safest route.

We just get a little bit of snow on the roads here and you can start to pick out the people that don't have snow tires. The ones in their big 4wd or awd SUVs that end up in the ditch because of a few inches of snow while I cruise right by in my little cobalt.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:36 PM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
You do realize snow tires aren't only beneficial in snow but because they're soft they're meant for cool weather.

All seasons turn into hockey pucks around the freezing point.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:44 PM

^^^ Very true.
They recommend using "winter" tires anywhere below 7°C (45°F)
Old 01-11-2017, 03:55 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Continental DWS 06 is one of the best all seasons there is. About $150 a piece before install
Old 01-11-2017, 04:14 PM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
Im putting on some cheap ass Sumitomo All season tires on my LSJ. My STi has a dedicated Summer, BF Goodrich sport comp 2 and winter tires, Michilin Alpin PA3 snow tires.