Hahn RaceCraft Hahn RaceCraft Is a Supporting Vendor of CobaltSS.net
Contacts: EcoBoost ; Hahn Sales

2.0 TurboSystem: How would YOU want it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
I still made over 350whp with the stock intake mani and my old turbo, so I don't see why you're numbers would be only a little lower.
turbo cobalts are fun lol. drive like a reg 4 banger below 2k rpm's, great fuel economy, and crazy Wow factor when you hammer the go pedal.
Now just patiently awaiting the new hahn BOV to get here, and that's one issue fixed that I don't have to worry about anymore.
That 350whp you speak of was my ultimate goal since day one anyhow, so that would be perfectly fine with me. I can't wait to get my Cobalt turbo'd since I should have done it a long time ago, but it's probably better I learned the tricks with my Integra first. Hopefully my patience and knowledge attained pays off with some nice parts from Hahn.

Oh, and I expect a full review on the BOV!
Old 04-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Former Vendor

Got the driving report back from Tyler...he's out having fun with the car now at the base 15 PSI, 320 WHP boost level.

He reports "that turbo kit made so many improvements to the car its crazy." To name a few:
  • Much more powerful (naturally!)
  • Better fuel mileage
  • Easier to launch
  • Reduced torque steer
  • IAT2 after a long haul to 6000 RPM in 4th gear is now 77 degrees...used to be 175-200 with the S/C and 2.8 pulley (he also adds that he tried a 2.6 pulley at one point in the car's previous SC life and was just TERRIFIED of the IAT2 that resulted in!)
Overall, a very happy convert!
Old 04-22-2008, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by EcoBoost
Got the driving report back from Tyler...he's out having fun with the car now at the base 15 PSI, 320 WHP boost level.

He reports "that turbo kit made so many improvements to the car its crazy." To name a few:
  • Much more powerful (naturally!)
  • Better fuel mileage
  • Easier to launch
  • Reduced torque steer
  • IAT2 after a long haul to 6000 RPM in 4th gear is now 77 degrees...used to be 175-200 with the S/C and 2.8 pulley (he also adds that he tried a 2.6 pulley at one point in the car's previous SC life and was just TERRIFIED of the IAT2 that resulted in!)
Overall, a very happy convert!
Nice! Why did he go back down to 15psi though? To get used to it? Great to hear, now the question is a little pricing soon?
Old 04-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 2K5SS/SC?
Nice! Why did he go back down to 15psi though? To get used to it? Great to hear, now the question is a little pricing soon?
Well, you see, that's one of the great aspects of going turbo...multiple selectable boost levels from the driver's seat!

Even at 'only' 15 PSI, it's such a leap forward in the car's performance from its previous SC iteration (about 70 WHP more!) that yes, he wants to get to know this power level first, then turn it up incrementally. Of course, as a Beta car, he's also making sure the car does everything right at every power level, not just on 'kill'.

We'll ease into the additional reserve power as needed and/or desired. There may be a clutch upgrade involved to really enable the higher boost...the torquemonster is pressing the stock clutch to a degree!

We are working feverishly on website and pricing as I type. I'd say another day or two and we'll launch!
Old 04-22-2008, 01:41 PM

thats amazing...

so with those low IAT2 temperatures would it be safe to say that one could push the stock internals a little farther, specifically the pistons being rated for ~350hp???
Old 04-22-2008, 01:44 PM

Well, you see, that's one of the great aspects of going turbo...multiple selectable boost levels from the driver's seat!

Even at 'only' 15 PSI, it's such a leap forward in the car's performance from its previous SC iteration (about 70 WHP more!) that yes, he wants to get to know this power level first, then turn it up incrementally. Of course, as a Beta car, he's also making sure the car does everything right at every power level, not just on 'kill'.

We'll ease into the additional reserve power as needed and/or desired. There may be a clutch upgrade involved to really enable the higher boost...the torquemonster is pressing the stock clutch to a degree!

We are working feverishly on website and pricing as I type. I'd say another day or two and we'll launch!
Very true. I completely forgot he is on the stock clutch as well. I'm sure it won't last long though at those power levels.

I can't wait to get my hands on my own 20G now. I think this definitelt sealed the deal. It wasn't the overall numbers that did it because I expected those, it was the power band and torque curve that sold me. That is exactly what I've been aiming for and desiring for my Cobalt. Great work once again!

So what was the surprise by the way for being the closest? Is it still a surprise?
Old 04-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 05sattyredline
thats amazing...

so with those low IAT2 temperatures would it be safe to say that one could push the stock internals a little farther, specifically the pistons being rated for ~350hp???
Without a doubt, the lowered IAT's significantly hedge one's bet insofar as higher power levels without spark knock problems, and knock (detonation) is what takes pistons out.

So, to answer your question, yes...we can expect more power, safely, and cars like this one and Paul's help prove that point. This one's running 375-425 engine HP, and Paul's been up to about 475 engine HP. In both cases, the engines themselves are stock.

The LSJ is a very magnificient engine once it's not being force-fed by a furnace!
Old 04-22-2008, 01:51 PM

Uhm Pricing??
Old 04-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Former Vendor

Very true. I completely forgot he is on the stock clutch as well. I'm sure it won't last long though at those power levels.

I can't wait to get my hands on my own 20G now. I think this definitelt sealed the deal. It wasn't the overall numbers that did it because I expected those, it was the power band and torque curve that sold me. That is exactly what I've been aiming for and desiring for my Cobalt. Great work once again!

So what was the surprise by the way for being the closest? Is it still a surprise?
Haha, I was hoping to only pay out if someone guessed right on, but that's almost impossible. Your guess was within less than 1%, so that's close enough!

As your reward, I will hook you up with a discount on a system. Once we start talking turkey, remind me and I'll hook you up. I can't promise hundreds of $$ off, but if nothing else, you'll be able to have a decent dinner with the significant other using the savings!

Originally Posted by berto
Uhm Pricing??
see posts #74 and #129

Last edited by Hahn RaceCraft; 04-22-2008 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-22-2008, 01:57 PM

Haha, I was hoping to only pay out if someone guessed right on, but that's almost impossible. Your guess was within less than 1%, so that's close enough!

As your reward, I will hook you up with a discount on a system. Once we start talking turkey, remind me and I'll hook you up. I can't promise hundreds of $$ off, but if nothing else, you'll be able to have a decent dinner with the significant other using the savings!

see posts #74 and #129
Sounds good. I'll be on standby until then, and looking foward to updates as they come along. Once again thanks for all the hard work, and a special thanks to the tester for putting his car on the line.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 2K5SS/SC?
Sounds good. I'll be on standby until then, and looking foward to updates as they come along. Once again thanks for all the hard work, and a special thanks to the tester for putting his car on the line for it.
You are most welcome. Thank you too for the support and interest.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How would the intercooler hold up during road-race conditions at the track (up to 1 hr races)? Would I have problems with heat-soak using your level 5 setup? Would I need to turn down the boost pressures for track days (non-drag racing)?

If I buy your cat-back exhaust, would the piping for the supercharged cat-back bolt-up with the header and down-pipe from the turbo configuration?
Thanks
Eric
Old 04-22-2008, 03:46 PM

i cant wait to see the final product at my door keep the updates coming bill !!
Old 04-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Micro
How would the intercooler hold up during road-race conditions at the track (up to 1 hr races)? Would I have problems with heat-soak using your level 5 setup? Would I need to turn down the boost pressures for track days (non-drag racing)?

If I buy your cat-back exhaust, would the piping for the supercharged cat-back bolt-up with the header and down-pipe from the turbo configuration?
Thanks
Eric
The intercooler is BIG. Core dimensions: 4.5" thick, 6" tall, 24" wide, for a total of 648 cubic inches of core volume.

As for setting up the car for track days: I'd say your best bet would be to equip the turbosystem with a low-pressure wastegate actuator (say 8 PSI), then turn up the boost with a boost controller until IAT's and/or coolant temps finally become a too high, or you overpower the track...whichever comes first. One positive aspect of removing the stock intercooler heat exchanger is that it frees up airflow to the radiator, so that's an improvement. I might also tune the cooling fans so they are come in harder at lower temps.

Yes, the exhaust is compatible with the turbo downpipe, and the turbo downpipe reverse compatible with all exhaust systems (3" adamantly recommended!).
Old 04-22-2008, 05:22 PM

hey hahn, what about us ion redlines will it be relatively simple to integrate a cobalt kit into our cars or will you release one for us too? i could be wrong but the only thing i could see being different in the kit would be the tubing?.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 05sattyredline
hey hahn, what about us ion redlines will it be relatively simple to integrate a cobalt kit into our cars or will you release one for us too? i could be wrong but the only thing i could see being different in the kit would be the tubing?.
Tubing would be different, yes, as well as air intake...there's slight differences elsewhere too, such as intercooler mounting, but I bet an enterprising type could start at Level 2 or 3 and take it from there.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:38 PM

So I guess you figured out why everyone is getting the lean spike at the higher RPMS.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:18 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
yeah that's been taken care of finally.... thank god

and 2K, you'll hopefully have that review tomorrow or thursday, unfortunately I got damn jury duty, so I have to swing past work I guess when I get out.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:49 PM

once again, us redlines get left out, we will have to find ourselves some custom piping and everything $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. one day hopefully we will get somethingn to help us
Old 04-22-2008, 09:51 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
people will help you, but someone needs to man up and give up there car for a week or so to get it done, I've been offering around here for months and no one wants to do it.....
SO SOMEONE WITH A REDLINE MAN UP AND DO WORK
Old 04-22-2008, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
yeah that's been taken care of finally.... thank god

and 2K, you'll hopefully have that review tomorrow or thursday, unfortunately I got damn jury duty, so I have to swing past work I guess when I get out.
Sounds great. I'm really interested in tuneability for the most part and how you mount. A sound clip would be great too to satisfy the "ricer" curiosity side of things.

As for the redine guys, piping should be an easy day. You guys have way more room, and piping is easy to do. Buy some mendral exhaust bends, mark and cut them to size, and if welding is necessary and you don't have a welder go to a local exhaust shop and have it done. It's not that expensive at all. Hell if someone bought the materials and provided me a redline to fit the pipes to, I'd do it for a good meal and a couple brews.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:39 PM

I was fairly sure of the path my SS would take ...the TVS threw a temporary wrench in though . This thread has me back in line . Awesome stuff Bill , cant wait to send some money your way

I wrench on to many other cars to really have time for my own plus Im building a Camaro , so I would likely go with the full deal for simplicty and my sanity . I think you touched on this a long time ago ....just to make sure , the supplied tune wont be locked correct ? I want to explore E85 at some point , couple friends turbo cars are using it to amazing sucess and corn gas pumps are plentiful around here .
Old 04-22-2008, 10:40 PM

does the piping come painted to match?
Old 04-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by BeermanSSSC
does the piping come painted to match?
We may offer this as an option. All of our piping is always powder-coated for great looks and durability, and our standard color has always been basic gloss black. Matches everybody, and has a clean, understated OEM-type look. But we are doing things differently with this setup...this may be one more way we can customize it!
Old 04-22-2008, 10:49 PM

sweet, well if your looking to gauge interest, i would be interested fo sho.

Quick Reply: 2.0 TurboSystem: How would YOU want it?