Hahn RaceCraft Hahn RaceCraft Is a Supporting Vendor of CobaltSS.net
Contacts: EcoBoost ; Hahn Sales

I bought a Hahn Stage V LSJ.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 04:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought a Hahn Stage V LSJ.

So its late and I am sitting here reading tons of threads from the past few years on Hahn. I bought the Stage V kit from a guy on here and got a really good price on it. I would not have bought a turbo kit from anyone anywhere otherwise just because of the cost alone.

Hahn stays busy and can take a while to get back to you but I can tell you I was pleasantly surprised to spend one night shift at work talking to Bill Hahn. He had moved to Florida, focused on other platforms and moved on with business. I asked him why he wasn't on the forums and well there is just too much drama. From the threads I have read I can see why. Product bashing and calling things sub par is just infantile. Products fail, things break, and there is not one company that can claim they never had problems. And if the price was what it was all about you haven't been to Hahn RaceCraft Homepage lately. The LNF is making 420 @ 26psi on the venerable 20g for 1099 bucks!

So before I am accused of "nut wingin" ZZP has done great by me and remember I am in the ghost town that is Hahn vendor section. ZZP has stayed the course with the Cobalt and I am truly grateful for such a market that has thrived since the car was canx 2 years ago. Probably just because of the talk and envy from others on this board wanting the other guys parts.

I am sorry to see such a lack of interest in the forum from Hahn but its not cause he is a bad guy, you don't spend 2 hours on the phone with a bad guy. I did find that even at 3500 bucks the turbo kit was still too much even though it was 1000 cheaper for the optioned kit I wanted from ZZP. I called bills wife back and rescinded my PayPal invoice on his kit after he had spent all that time selling me on the kit and the LSJ/LNF platform. I am sorry Bill, just could not afford it.

Then comes along one that fell into my lap while looking for the more affordable TVS, lol. It never ends. I was able to jump on my current Stage V kit, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge, ZZP triple pillar pod, TurboXS BOV, HPT files, flow-matched injectors, harness, for less than the cost of a TVS used.

I guess what opened my eyes was their is little on this forum about the Stave V LSJ. I know there are quite a few still running but man where has the class participation been?

Anyway there hasnt been anything posted here in 5 months and just wanted to chime in on my experiences with Hahn.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got the Hahn lvl5 kit as well. It is a nice kit, But i received my Intake manifold, Unfinished. the welds on the Intake runners werent complete. I found this out after it was on my car already. So i had to Pay for the shipping of a faulty product back to hahn and my car was down for a week and a half because of it. then, when the intake manifold continued to crack welds, it was always a back fire, not failure of the intake manifold.. So im told. But, ive had my Intake mani from hahn re welded in the same place, 4 times. and ive never once heard my car back fire. My customer support wasnt very great and i feel that my overall experience with Hahn was poor. Im going with a built short block and zzp turbo kit now. Ill be parting my hahn turbo kit out or selling as a whole, here in the next few weeks, i think the turbo needs a rebuild tho. Good to here you've had a good experience with Hahn, hope it continues to stay that way. Good luck with the Kit.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:44 AM

your not helping my case here. lol

How many miles are on your kit/parts/turbo?
Old 07-20-2012, 06:20 AM

well, im just letting you know my experiences and im sure alot of others have had there share. ive got about 3.5k miles. i was pushing 23psi everytime the intake manifold would crack. you could tell instantly because your AFR would go rich and you wouldnt see **** for boost
Old 07-20-2012, 06:30 AM

Customer service is very poor from Hahn. I had a very bad experience with them when I bought my 3in exhaust, they did replace the faulty portion and covered shipping costs it only took about 3 months though...

I would say it should be fine, you know just check everything like killa was saying. If there's an issue you can always find parts on here, people seem to always be selling turbo build parts.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Banned

Purchased my turbo kit for my old 2.2 from hahn nothing but great service. Also my 3" hahn exhaust nothing but great service as well!
Old 07-20-2012, 08:27 AM

the first sheet metal intakes they distributed were known to get hair-line cracks in them. The original owner of my intake just welded a nice chunk of sheet metal to fix it. But that just goes to show you that even a "reputable" brand can fail from faulty manufacturing (not wear). And Hahn is known for this. In the dsm world, they made some of the best turbo kits for n/a dsms; but when they started making kits for the gs-t and other turbo'd platforms, their quality and fitment just went down the toilet.

Even in their stage V kit, there's just items in there that I wouldn't want to put on my car. Like, who puts a BOV on a silicone coupler? That's just retarded in my opinion. And everyone knows that these cars need more fueling up top than what 60lbs/hr injectors can offer. At the very least, they should provide an option to upgrade the injectors for the price they are demanding, but they don't. Don't get me started on their "No Drill Tap Oil Solution" that leaks incessantly. Ask me how I know. Don't get me wrong, it's a generally well made kit, but not for the price.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
i do gotta say, i heard someones lsj with a full hahn exhaust at a meet, and its a great sounding system. buuut... 500 bucks for a header... no.. just no..
Old 07-20-2012, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by riceburner
i do gotta say, i heard someones lsj with a full hahn exhaust at a meet, and its a great sounding system. buuut... 500 bucks for a header... no.. just no..
Back in the day I got my forced performance cast manifold for my Dsm for $175. With my s256et I saw 50 lbs per min with that manifold and I had it the whole time I had the car. My buddy spent $1200 on his top mount twin scroll t4 with two wastegate flanges welded on. Most custom made manifolds for the Dsm's are over $1000 though.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by mexi_loco
the first sheet metal intakes they distributed were known to get hair-line cracks in them. The original owner of my intake just welded a nice chunk of sheet metal to fix it. But that just goes to show you that even a "reputable" brand can fail from faulty manufacturing (not wear). And Hahn is known for this. In the dsm world, they made some of the best turbo kits for n/a dsms; but when they started making kits for the gs-t and other turbo'd platforms, their quality and fitment just went down the toilet.

Even in their stage V kit, there's just items in there that I wouldn't want to put on my car. Like, who puts a BOV on a silicone coupler? That's just retarded in my opinion. And everyone knows that these cars need more fueling up top than what 60lbs/hr injectors can offer. At the very least, they should provide an option to upgrade the injectors for the price they are demanding, but they don't. Don't get me started on their "No Drill Tap Oil Solution" that leaks incessantly. Ask me how I know. Don't get me wrong, it's a generally well made kit, but not for the price.
i got the same kit, theres a flange on the hot side for the bov, not on a coupler. was this an old method?
by the way, look at the OP, he got it for a great deal!!!
if your an lsj and had the option to either buy a TVS, or a used hahn stage 5 turbo kit, 99% of the ppl would prefer the hahn kit. everybody always talking **** about new prices. he spent less than HALF of it new!! not everybody can afford a brand new zzp turbo kit with a 256et. i know a lot of ppl hate hahns products and the 20g but my friend had this kit for years, no problems with it, when i installed mine, no problems from the products, just stuff that i messed up on. the kit hasnt gave me one problem since installed and ill pull on a SHITLOAD of cars.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by 07LSJ
i got the same kit, theres a flange on the hot side for the bov, not on a coupler. was this an old method?
if your an lsj and had the option to either buy a TVS, or a used hahn stage 5 turbo kit, 99% of the ppl would prefer the hahn kit. everybody always talking **** about new prices. he spent less than HALF of it new!! not everybody can afford a brand new zzp turbo kit with a 256et. i know a lot of ppl hate hahns products and the 20g but my friend had this kit for years, no problems with it, when i installed mine, no problems from the products, just stuff that i messed up on. the kit hasnt gave me one problem since installed and ill pull on a SHITLOAD of cars.
Do you have a pic of your BOV? want to see your flange?

The guy I bought this kit off of had it for years, he replaced the turbo and there is no play in the shaft. His 20g was making 400 hp for years.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:16 PM

one day ill have a turbo charged monster LSJ. one day...
Old 07-20-2012, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by c130aviator
Do you have a pic of your BOV? want to see your flange?

The guy I bought this kit off of had it for years, he replaced the turbo and there is no play in the shaft. His 20g was making 400 hp for years.
damm lemme look around to see if i have a pic of it. if anything happens with that bov,i have a brand new turboXS for sale on the low if you ever need it.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:27 PM

That is used when you have a factory style bov, SRT4 and others used this method. Not the worst thing in the world if there is not a flange, you can just couple one in already welded on a pipe.

Not true on the 60's, they are good for 400hp and I know the Inj Pulse may be high or maxed over that but I am not there yet, so I dont really care all that much. There is an option on hahns site, dont buy the stage V get stage IV (4) its without Inj. Not sure why you are knocking hahn for this one...

Oil solution is the first thing I am fixing when I get the kit, I asked Bill about this when I talked to him. He said it was for kids and ease of install (marketing) I say it was to cheap out on an oil pan and overhead. I will give you that one.

Other than the Oil solution the argument still stands that this kit is a great buy.

Last edited by c130aviator; 07-20-2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: fixed
Old 07-20-2012, 03:29 PM

damm lemme look around to see if i have a pic of it. if anything happens with that bov,i have a brand new turboXS for sale on the low if you ever need it.
I have the exact one you have for sale. LOL, read on other turbo forums that its loud, really loud. May change it out for a quiet one depending on the sound PPPPPFFFFFSSSSTTTTT!
Old 07-20-2012, 03:30 PM

what exactly is this oil solution you guys speak of?

I have the exact one you have for sale. LOL, read on other turbo forums that its loud, really loud. May change it out for a quiet one depending on the sound PPPPPFFFFFSSSSTTTTT!
get an hks ssq3. sounds so dam sick.....

Last edited by 07LSJ; 07-20-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-20-2012, 03:34 PM

what exactly is this oil solution you guys speak of?
Remove oil plug install oil drain fitting, attach hose. This is the return for the turbo. Cheesy.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:37 PM

how is it in other cars?
Old 07-20-2012, 03:51 PM

how is it in other cars?
Drill/Tap Block or Weld a fitting onto the oil pan. I will use Hahns oil plug method for the quick install but I will address this later by drilling and tapping the block as was done in the LSJ turbo thread.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:00 PM

oh i actually have the oil pan that is taped already.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:06 PM

oh i actually have the oil pan that is taped already.
Yeah that is an upgrade to the Hahn Kit, they never had that as an option.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:12 PM

oh ok cool.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:35 PM

I'm not knocking the OP or HAHN, so if I appear to be coming off as that, forgive me. My lsj build centralizes on their s20g turbo. Why? Because it's a dsm turbo, and it's proven to get me where I want to be. I realize it's considered "old technology" being that it's a journal bearing turbo, but hey, turn the boost up and roasting tires while other lsj's are waiting to get their larger turbos to spool is fun . And if the OP got the kit for a steal, more power to him....I'm mexican, I never pay full price for my ****

I'm just stating facts about their kit. There are/were issues with it for the price they want for it. It's a matter of supply & demand. And the fact is that this community wants high quality for economy prices (it's why we own a cobalt). Even OP admitted that he didn't want to pay full price.

That is used when you have a factory style bov, SRT4 and others used this method. Not the worst thing in the world if there is not a flange, you can just couple one in already welded on a pipe.

Not true on the 60's, they are good for 400hp and I know the Inj Pulse may be high or maxed over that but I am not there yet, so I dont really care all that much. There is an option on hahns site, dont buy the stage V get stage IV (4) its without Inj. Not sure why you are knocking hahn for this one...

Oil solution is the first thing I am fixing when I get the kit, I asked Bill about this when I talked to him. He said it was for kids and ease of install (marketing) I say it was to cheap out on an oil pan and overhead. I will give you that one.

Other than the Oil solution the argument still stands that this kit is a great buy.
First of all, I'm not knocking them. Again, I have a couple of Hahn parts on my whip as well. Read my post, or better yet, look at my build thread. Now, you mention injector pulse width as if that's a minor detail. If those injectors go static, you'll experience a severe lean condition when WOT and then you'll be a broke out of luck lsj owner making a thread that something went boom and you don't know why. With a little careful research, you'll understand why people minimally install 80lbs/hr and a return style fuel system (and it's not to run e). I admit, people do have the option of getting the stage IV, but that's a moot point when you're bringing up the quality of a stage V kit.

And you seemed to have ignored the fact that another crucial component to their kit, the intake manifold, is/was still susceptible to hair-line cracks from improper welding or lack of proper pressure testing. I do remember, though, at one point Hahn was willing to recall the questionable manifolds and replace them (not sure how long that lasted), so I guess that goes towards them as a positive for customer service.

I understand you had a positive experience with Hahn, and that's great for you. But you also have to understand that the majority of the site, one way or another, felt burned by their sporadic customer service, or their lack of proper R&D for their kits or exhaust systems, especially considering the caliber of their brand reputation.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:28 PM

Mexi, i know i have read things you have posted both good and bad about Hahn. You stand where i stand on this business, but if u are making more power you should know better and get better inj at any price point. People tend to hate on others success it would seem but as you have said the product should have been proven if he is breaking manifolds. My PO of my kit had no issues. Btw my wife got my kit today. I will be installing in Just a few days.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:48 PM

Only reason you'd need to go higher is if you're using E85

Quick Reply: I bought a Hahn Stage V LSJ.