How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

2.0 LSJ Engine: Airbox modification

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 12:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Airbox modification

Recently I spent time adapting a conical air filter to the stock box, left the bottom off and BAM cold air for $35, well here are some pix and DAMN is the S/C loud now, love it!

Talk about turning peoples heads, the car sounds like a mini from Italian Job
Butt dyno says def more power, car is chiping and screetching everywhere now

Enjoy:
Now the fun starts, Basically you need to get your stock airbox our of the car, it is located DS in front of the wheel, you have to remove 2 push pins, and 7-8 7mm screws and then you can bend back the splash guard. Now this must be done after removing the DS front wheel.
Once the splash guard is moved then you go in and remove 3 nuts holding the airbox on and loosen the upper clamp in the engine bay where the intake mates to the TB adaptor pipe.

Disconnect the MAF line(1 electricl connector) and then you take your time removing the box(will take some twists and contortions) you also have to pop 1 harness grommet retainer but this is simple)

Installing and measuring, once it is out and you have the air filter(BTW the filter is a spectre Universal pt number 8138) this filter has adaptor rings to mate it to 3", 3.5" or 4", you will use all adaptors to mate it to the 3.15"stock opening, here is the only real tricky part, you need to put the 3" adaptor on the stock box(the pic below shows the 3" adaptor already on), trim the outer lip off a little since the stock lip is slightly larger than 3" with an xacto knife then the rest of the filter adaptors slide on no problem

Filter with adaptor rings

Installed Filter, you drill one small hole even with the location of the clamp I used a 1/4" bit and a slim flathead to get in there, and with a flash light in the snorkel for light the clamp shows up fine, once tight it is reversal of removal! Enjoy!
(HOLE LOCATION)

Installed Filter 2

Finished and installed back in the car

Installed ! Now the fun can start! Great thing is only mod to the air box was 1 small hole drilled in the funnel for screwdriver access

I have a video with sound but have not had a chance to upload it, tomorrow.. it is loud

EDIT:Aww heck here it is

right click and save as

SS INTAKE VIDEO AVI

Last edited by SS_SC_Cobalt; 07-21-2005 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Adding more HOW TO info
Old 07-21-2005, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good to me I cant wait until K&N intake comes out...Maybe ill try this mod. first...
Old 07-21-2005, 12:17 AM

This could be a nice "How To"
Old 07-21-2005, 12:40 AM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought about doing this too, but I'm going to wait until there is a better aftermarket.

I paid a lot of money for a car, so i'm going to be very careful about what I put on her
Old 07-21-2005, 12:48 AM

What part # filter did you get? what brand? And how exactly did you get the filter stay put in the stock box without falling out?
Old 07-21-2005, 12:51 AM

Universal Specter air filter bought at pep boys and it is clamped in, hense the reason for the 1 small drilled hole, had to get a screwdriver in to tighten the clamp

Originally Posted by MarcS
I thought about doing this too, but I'm going to wait until there is a better aftermarket.

I paid a lot of money for a car, so i'm going to be very careful about what I put on her
Well considering all I did was fit a aftermarket filter and clamp it to the stock box, you dont have a lot to worry about except driving thru a foot or more of water
Old 07-21-2005, 01:07 AM

Hmmmmmm. Put ur car ona dyno, and see how it worked for you. How much better could a typhoon intake be compared to this?
Old 07-21-2005, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by phxSS
Hmmmmmm. Put ur car ona dyno, and see how it worked for you. How much better could a typhoon intake be compared to this?
Considering the intake tubes are very smooth and with minimal bends, I would say unless they get the tubing larger not that much

EDIT:Vid is up in the bottom of the original post, rt click and save as ! Just turn your speakers down a bit
Enjoy!
Old 07-21-2005, 01:52 AM

lol sounds kinda funny. Do a video of you actually driving it, so we can get a better idea of how loud it is.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:40 AM
Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by SS_SC_Cobalt
Universal Specter air filter bought at pep boys and it is clamped in, hense the reason for the 1 small drilled hole, had to get a screwdriver in to tighten the clamp

Very clever on the hole in the air box to tighten the filter.

This is totally how to material.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:54 AM

lol sounds kinda funny. Do a video of you actually driving it, so we can get a better idea of how loud it is.
I'll try to get a vid later on...

How-to, I'm honored....
Old 07-21-2005, 09:00 AM

I second that. I would definatly love to hear ya driving it. Do you have any better detailed instructions for us. Thanks, Erik
Old 07-21-2005, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by NightmareSS
I second that. I would definatly love to hear ya driving it. Do you have any better detailed instructions for us. Thanks, Erik
UPDATED
Old 07-21-2005, 09:21 AM
Banned

now we need to figure out a way to make the small splashguard removable... like with some zuess fasnteners or something... so we could drop it out for an actual cai, and put it back on when it is raining
Old 07-21-2005, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by selfinfliction
now we need to figure out a way to make the small splashguard removable... like with some zuess fasnteners or something... so we could drop it out for an actual cai, and put it back on when it is raining
Just remove the DS foglamp...bam instant ram air, lol
Old 07-21-2005, 03:39 PM

Thanks for the info Pete . I'll get right on it. -Erik-
Old 07-21-2005, 05:51 PM

NEW vids from inside the cabin, right click and save as :

SS S/C video 1

SS S/C Video 2

SS S/C Video 3

Old 07-21-2005, 06:16 PM

i did the same thing to my ss but i dident have to drill a hole in the air box all i did was remove the rubber from the filter and put it on the air box than i tightend it down with a socket than i just worked the filter back on the rubber it is a little more work but it leaves no hole in the air box i figured if any thing goes wrong i can just put the stock filter back in and the dealer will never know the differance
Old 07-21-2005, 07:31 PM
The Stig

Originally Posted by SS_SC_Cobalt
NEW vids from inside the cabin, right click and save as :

SS S/C video 1

SS S/C Video 2

SS S/C Video 3

lol, I'm going to do this too. I'm bored and have to do something. Plus, you can't beat that sound the SC makes.

I went to advance autoparts and they had crappy APC filters all already opened. Where online can I find the Spectre filter you used?

Also, have you had any CEL's after installing?

Edit: My boost gauge doesnt jump past 10 as quickly as yours does in the video. Did it do that before you installed the filter?
Old 07-21-2005, 08:05 PM

I'm gonna put one of those filters on mine, to get the loud blower whine, then get a personalized plate that says "mini cobra" (referring to '03-'04 cobra's)
Old 07-21-2005, 10:11 PM

most intakes do very little, but no one realizes it.....

homemade ones like this are more efficient than the holy-crap-its-awesome-INJEN intake
Old 07-21-2005, 10:22 PM

sounds good
Old 07-22-2005, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by MarcS
lol, I'm going to do this too. I'm bored and have to do something. Plus, you can't beat that sound the SC makes.

I went to advance autoparts and they had crappy APC filters all already opened. Where online can I find the Spectre filter you used?

Also, have you had any CEL's after installing?

Edit: My boost gauge doesnt jump past 10 as quickly as yours does in the video. Did it do that before you installed the filter?
No cel's yet, try pep boys they had the filters, I am looking for a k+n or something like it for you guys but have not found one yet.

I will admit the car seems to respond a lot faster and as I said before it def has more grunt, she is breaking the tires loose at will now
I honestly think the supercharger lag if you will is lessened!

now if the header and my cat back would come in.....
Old 07-22-2005, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by tiny
most intakes do very little, but no one realizes it.....

homemade ones like this are more efficient than the holy-crap-its-awesome-INJEN intake
True, but you can't ignore the fact that aluminum will cool the air better than plastic.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:01 AM

intake...

I just got my K&N filter (E-1009) install yesterday and WOW! It runs awesome...The blower wines just like your video clips and the car destroys the tires at will now. I left the bottom of the stock airbox out too get the cold air in. I just installed the bottom slash guard back in...Nice performance mod...I am going too put the car on the dyno soon.....

Quick Reply: 2.0 LSJ Engine: Airbox modification