How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

2.0 LSJ Engine: Airbox modification

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is a BAM Cold Air?
Old 09-04-2005, 11:40 AM

I really want to do this mod..Do you take the wheel off then just move the splash guard away to get to the stock airbox? What other steps are there? I heard reset some code? how do you do that
Old 09-04-2005, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by 05vicredSS
I really want to do this mod..Do you take the wheel off then just move the splash guard away to get to the stock airbox? What other steps are there? I heard reset some code? how do you do that
Yes, that's all you do. they are saying to unplug the neg terminal of the batt to reset the computer so it can learn again. Let it sit for 3-4minutes unplugged
Old 09-04-2005, 12:54 PM

Ok, I'm going to go and get a cone filter and try it out, i'll try to get as many pics as I can as well, I mainly want a little performance and the sound that comes with it, sounds great in the clips I see. It'll do untill I order my header and catback
Old 09-06-2005, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nightcrawler
True, but you can't ignore the fact that aluminum will cool the air better than plastic.

hahaha
yea, what absorbs heat better, metal or plastic??
Old 09-06-2005, 04:54 PM

i did this BUT DIFFERENT, and all you have to do to get the whine sound is just take of the bottom cover for the intake, it whines up, and i beleive boosts faster, no filter change or nothing, all stock just remove bottom cover, easy and fast!!!!! i love it, oh and i did get code, reset and never came back, no this and dont waste any money until real intake comes out, what i am doing..... good luck
Old 09-06-2005, 04:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by johnkb8
i did this BUT DIFFERENT, and all you have to do to get the whine sound is just take of the bottom cover for the intake, it whines up, and i beleive boosts faster, no filter change or nothing, all stock just remove bottom cover, easy and fast!!!!! i love it, oh and i did get code, reset and never came back, no this and dont waste any money until real intake comes out, what i am doing..... good luck
john, careful, the stock filter is not held in with anything but pressure.....no clamps...
Old 09-06-2005, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by SS_SC_Cobalt
john, careful, the stock filter is not held in with anything but pressure.....no clamps...

well uve had no problems.?.. im lovin the sound tho!
Old 09-06-2005, 09:10 PM

Yes, you are right , vibration or bumps may knock the filter off. I just went to do this mod myself today, but I first needed to get a measurment of the ring that the stock filter slips over to get the correct filter. The local speed shop can't get it until tomorrow. The diameter that I measured is 3.25 in. ( Also the 2.0L filter is the same as the Trailblazer's). Anyway, I also left the bottom of the housing off with the stock filter in place just to see what kind of difference it would make, but I held the filter up with 2 long zip-ties. Run the ties through the theaded holes for the screws on opposite corners. Reset the fuel trims and test drove it. WOW, I am surprised at the difference. Yes it sounds good, but the throttle response is what impressed me! I will install the new cone filter tomorrow and keep it that way. I do recommend those that are thinking about the mod, just try it as I did before you by anything and see for your self if it's worth it.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:03 PM

so far so good, no problems here except that pesky increased throttle response and faster boost from the s/c
Old 09-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by johnkb8

dude you better stop driving your car and put that bottom back on immediately. even if the filter doesn't fall off it sucks up unfiltered air, beacuse the oem filter is like a pipe.. it's got a hole all the way through it.

i'm going to really hope you are joking about doing this to your car man.

whoever reads this DO NOT just remove the bottom of the airbox. you HAVE to replace the filter with a cone style filter that can clamp down
Old 09-06-2005, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by selfinfliction
dude you better stop driving your car and put that bottom back on immediately. even if the filter doesn't fall off it sucks up unfiltered air, beacuse the oem filter is like a pipe.. it's got a hole all the way through it.

i'm going to really hope you are joking about doing this to your car man.

whoever reads this DO NOT just remove the bottom of the airbox. you HAVE to replace the filter with a cone style filter that can clamp down
while I agree with you the stock filter is not open on the bottom, I am holding it in my hand now and it is sealed...but ya dont drive without the clamped filter you could drop it and suck in unfiltered air and who knows what else...
Old 09-06-2005, 10:54 PM

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh $hit i will fix this tommorow i hope, thanks guys, i feel like a retard now, but thanks still
Old 09-06-2005, 11:02 PM

not a problem, that is what we are here for
Old 09-07-2005, 12:32 AM

so far so good, no problems here except that pesky increased throttle response and faster boost from the s/c
Ah, that bothers you too.....had me scared I was the only one getting that pesky throttkle trouble LOL
Old 09-07-2005, 01:25 AM

From what I understand it would not be a good idea to remove or cut into any part of the air box because then you have an increased risk of sucking up water and other crap. Gm designed it the way it's supposed to be. Theoretically isn't that right?

Tom
Old 09-07-2005, 05:07 AM
Banned

while I agree with you the stock filter is not open on the bottom, I am holding it in my hand now and it is sealed...but ya dont drive without the clamped filter you could drop it and suck in unfiltered air and who knows what else...

my bad i thought before i threw mine away i seen it was open all the way through. either way no one needs to do that mod.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:34 AM

From what I understand it would not be a good idea to remove or cut into any part of the air box because then you have an increased risk of sucking up water and other crap. Gm designed it the way it's supposed to be. Theoretically isn't that right?
GM designed the airbox that way to satisfy pesky noise regulations that exist in some states.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:58 PM

how much oil do u think i should put on filter
Old 09-07-2005, 09:11 PM

K&N puts on 0.7 oz from the factory.
A little goes a long way.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:21 PM

ok well all done, and Internal Control Module Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error is what CEL came up, what does this mean!
Old 09-10-2005, 02:04 PM

Doesn't Ultra 94 co tain Ethanol though ? Read the warning on the pump... It says that the fuel could contain up to 15% Ethanol... bastards.... YOu may have got a couple good tanks in, but if your 2.0 injests some ethanol, it will run rough, and power will be lost. I am going to go splits with another guy across the street on a 48 gal drum of racing fuel. We are in the process of choosing a brand. Anyone have any input here? I have never wanted to run race fuel before.... Now I have a good reason too. Money aside, is it worth it?

I upgraded to the G85 package too. Otherwise I would have to wait longer. After reading up on the Quaife and Stock seats, I cant imagine not getting this. Basically, GM is saying "Buy the LSD, and were going to give youa free set of Recaro's, Sun roof etc....
Old 09-10-2005, 02:11 PM

The filter needs to be completely submerged in water for hydrolock to occur. If you go through a puddle that deep... you get what you get ..lol. I have had plenty CAI's and never had hydrolock. I currently run the Typhoon on my Mazda 3 gt. In the winter I go SRI, summer, CAI. Its starting to get crisp at night around here now. The asphalt is still warm and the air is crisp... Excellent driving weather.

I think this mod may affect an already sensitive accleration curve too much. I want to hear the car but there are other ways. I mean, do any of you actually give the car gas before letting the clutch out? I barely have to, I just transition and roll off the clutch. I do hit the accelerator, but not until the clutch grabs... Thats odd for me I am nt used to the torque.

This mod opens the airflow and provides a much easier path for air. It's almost too easy of a path. I wouldn't be surpirsed if some hp (maybe 3-5 whp) was gained but at the cost of a small about of torque (3-5ft/lbs). At least thats been my experience with SRI. I want to see dynos. Any SRI will provide slightly better throttle response, but at the cost of torque in my opinion. I may be wrong, I do not have a lot of experience with the Ecotec 2.0.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:02 PM

The best race fuel in my opinion is VP 14.
We've ran this in normally aspirated angines with 18:1 compression ratios without problems.
Very Expensive!
Old 09-14-2005, 06:36 PM

Is there a way to use a hose clamp bought from the hardware store so I don't have to buy a different filter? I haven't looked at mine yet so I can't see what holds it in there stock. It seems you guys are just buying new filters because the stock one doesn't mount solidly.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...prod_id=197053

Quick Reply: 2.0 LSJ Engine: Airbox modification