How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

General Suspension: Front Brake Job

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 12:28 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by colodude18
It is BS that you have to top off brake fluid multiple times just because of pad wear. Yes, the level of the fluid will go down as pads wear, but not to the point where you have to top it off, let alone multiple times.

If the rotors haven't been machined before, you should be fine to have them machined. Over here NAPA does it for 20 bucks. I've had mine resurfaced twice and that is with track use with very aggressive race pads.

I would recommend replacing the brake fluid while you are doing this.

As for replacement rotors and pads, since yours is a base, and not driven very aggressively, any OEM replacement at the auto parts store will probably be just fine.
Only way I could see it being due to pad wear is, if it's near the metal on all four corners and the rotors have already been machined down and they're near minimum thickness. But likely there is a slight leak somewhere, once you get the car up and take the tire off to do the brakes you'll see if there is a leak.

Given it's a DD and sees 0 track days, just get the parts store brand rotors and pads and don't mess with resurfacing. Also don't forget to get brake grease (not for the pad or rotor surface, for the slide pins and back of the pads.)
Old 01-26-2017, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys for info. I plan on greasing back of pads, pins and even the hub where rotor meets. Correct me if I'm wrong, cooper antiseize for hub, the rest (pads, pins) normal break grease?