How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

All Engines: How to Baffle a Cheap Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 05:59 PM

Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts
How to Baffle a Cheap Catch Can

I was planning on doing a YouTube How To vid on this subject but I did not think I would be doing the catch can this weekend so I did not brink my GoPro. This can was not bought from the vendor many will recognize in the Ecotec world it was bought from an import site actually. This can is not baffled and here is what I did to it. I hope you enjoy!

First The Can: From the inside you can see that it is not perfectly square.

2nd The baffles: I started off making the baffles square then I cut the corners and middle section to fit.

3rd The separating tube: Next step is to get a tube to bring the suction point to the bottom of the can but more importantly underneath the baffles.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:46 PM

Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts
4th Measure the useful space: Now that the can has a long suction tube in it the full point has changed. You do not want the oil level to get close to the pipe or touch it. So a full mark should be made on the inspection tube on the exterior to help prevent this.

5th Venting the baffles: Now that we have separated the input and output sides of the can we need to attach them and allow for some sort of filtration. I simply drilled holes in the dividers and will use some steel wool in between to help filter the oil from the air.

Final step mounting: For the mounting I just bent up some 12 gauge sheet to make an easy stand off bracket.

Final thoughts: If you have the ability and tools to do this project it is possible to save some money. With that being said it took me around 7 hours for me to mod this can, It was not for me so he did save some cash but in my opinion I would just buy a proper one and save the time.

Last edited by KMO43; 02-18-2019 at 06:52 PM.