How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

Electrical: How To: Factory Cruise Control and Remote Radio Control Installation (2007- 2010)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i cant find a cobalt for **** around here at a junkyard
Old 02-15-2013, 01:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PM me sometime and let me know how many you need (with address) I'll just mail them in an envelope.

When you do the radio don't worry that their circle micro connectors and not square they work the same (and have been in mine for a while now).

A friend of mine had access to a tech 2 and we were able to fool around with it and make the cruise work after about 15 min so if you take it to any shop with a tech 2 to program it then it should take them no time at all.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:51 PM

my old high school has a tech 2 and i tried doing it but he didnt have the CANDI module or something, ill pm you soon
Old 02-16-2013, 01:08 AM

Yep you do need that stupid little box between the tech 2 and the car. Luckily for me to be safe my friends dad (works at Delphi Rochester NY) brought that home with him too.

If you have to bite the bullet and pay a shop any of them should be able to figure it out. As I said we were able to figure it out and neither of us have ever used one before.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:47 PM

Ok, so here is the problem I am having.

I have a 2009 Cobalt LT that did not come with cruise control. I installed a steering wheel from anothere 2009 Cobalt that has all the appropriate buttons. Radio controls were plug and play as described in this thread. However, the re flash of the BCM was somewhat problematic.

I took it to a number of GM dealers, and had no luck. I even printed out the BCM re flash instructions from one this thread and took it to them, and they said they still can't do it. I asked why, and they said that when they looked up the car by my VIN number, it was never an option that my car was made with. My problem with this is that there are people that are wiring the cruise themselves and still are able to have it flashed on. I demanded all the documentation from the dealer(s) and here is what they gave me:

They said that because there is not a code for it, there is no way to turn it on. Is there any foundation to this argument?

Thanks in advance,
Mara

Last edited by Psychictoast; 04-16-2013 at 05:48 PM. Reason: photo url wrong
Old 04-25-2013, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by kafer79
You will require two styles of "micro connectors"...one has a square head (for install at the wheel) and the other has a round head (for install at the radio and BCM).

The length does not matter as long as you splice enough wire to reach the back of the radio and the BCM-2 connector.

Here's something I discovered tonight from another forum. There appears to be a factory connector that is pre-wired for the cruise and audio controls! Wish I had known about this option before. The part number for the harness is GM PART # 15234343 and can be found at GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts for $12 plus shipping.

As a Navy Aviation Mech you should have no problem with this upgrade.

Here's a picture I found of the harness:

Okay, forgive me for possibly beating a dead horse, but with this harness, the proper cruise controls on the steering wheel, pin 61 verified as being connected, and a few minutes with a Tech 2, I can have cruise control? I've read and re-read this thread and I get lost a bit when it comes to this. I'm not worried at all about having radio controls, just cruise. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:15 PM

Just a small update to bridge the gap between step 2 and 3 for wiring the cruise control. You would figure this out when taking it apart, but Ill include so you'll know before. There are two plugs that are identical, one in the steering wheel harness and one that plugs into the back of the clock spring on the top of the steering column, that's what you're going to insert your wires into and connect to the BCM. The picture is attached of the clip that goes into the back of the clock spring, it plugs into next to the yellow clip.
Name:  2013-04-25_11-20-54_322.jpg
Views: 1659
Size:  47.8 KB
Old 04-26-2013, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by handbanana
Okay, forgive me for possibly beating a dead horse, but with this harness, the proper cruise controls on the steering wheel, pin 61 verified as being connected, and a few minutes with a Tech 2, I can have cruise control? I've read and re-read this thread and I get lost a bit when it comes to this. I'm not worried at all about having radio controls, just cruise. Thanks in advance.
Yes.

And I'd like to also note, I bought an 09 HHR steering wheel and it is not the same size, nor do the cruise control panels match up.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:01 PM

I apologize in advance since this is a long dead thread, but I'm trying to do this mod and my searches have come up with very mixed results and I figured simply asking wouldn't hurt :3 I have a 2010 Cobalt LT with factory cruise already in place. I simply want to add the radio controls. Is this possible with simply replace the bezel and buttons or will I need to go and change the entire steering wheel. Thank you a million times over in advance
Old 01-11-2014, 02:06 PM

You should be able to just change out the bezel and wiring harness for the steering wheel. Since it's an LT I don't think you'll even have to run the wires but if you do it's not hard.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:15 PM

Just joined because of the helpfulness of this thread. I bought my wife an 08 LS last week and plan to do this upgrade tomorrow. The car is as about as base-model as they get. Nothing is pre-wired for cruise or radio controls so I plan to do both. This thread is relatively dead, but is still the top result for google searches on the subject. Hope to help someone out in the future if everything goes well tomorrow. I'll post results as soon as possible. I picked up a leather wheel with cruise and radio controls from my local Schram yard here in Pontiac (MI) for $50 and they let me dig through their large bin of harnesses and I managed to find a huge strand with the pins needed for this job. Best part was that they I didn't have to trudge through the snow to find a suitable harness, and on top of that, they didn't even charge me for it! Anyway, I'll give an update in the next coming days and I hope to contribute even more in the future.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'I'll give an update in the next coming days and I hope to contribute even more in the future."

Any luck?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:46 PM

It's is an easy and nice upgrade to do.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:52 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
subd
Old 06-15-2014, 07:05 PM

I own a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Coupe. In April 2014, I had an aftermarket cruise control (250-1775 Rostra Complete Cruise Control Kit) installed at a car audio shop in my area. So far I love the cruise control. I was wondering if by any chance that I can change from aftermarket cruise control to OEM factory cruise control? I know now that I have the BCM wiring (pin 61 slot gray wire of the BCM) there to support the cruise since having the aftermarket cruise installed. Do I still need the wiring if I decide to switch to factory cruise (wiring from the BCM pin 61 slot to the clock spring on steering wheel column). Is that wire on pin 61 slot for the aftermarket cruise control or can that wire be used for the GM OEM factory cruise control? Did that wire on pin 61 slot come with the aftermarket cruise control kit? If I decide to go with factory cruise, I will buy a new steering wheel (GM part #25826816) the leather wheel with the cruise control and radio controls. Do I also need the wiring for the radio controls? Any help is appreciate it
Old 06-16-2014, 12:03 AM

You need to wire power a few to the radio and then the 61 pin will have to be changed to the steering wheel it should be on the aftermarket one.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:34 PM

Since I own a 2010 Cobalt LS, I would have to say that it may already have audio harness since it has OnStar? That would mean if I was to buy a new steering wheel for cruise control and radio audio controls and I was to just hook it up and put it on, only the radio controls may work since the audio harness may already exist? If so then I would only need the wiring for OEM factory cruise control?

You are saying that the wiring on the aftermarket cruise control that connects to pin 61 of the C2 should work for that? Will that wiring reach to the 11-pin connector of the clock spring of the steering column or will I still need to go to a salvage yard to harvest them from a donor Cobalt?
Old 12-04-2014, 06:04 PM

I guess that do it yourself is really not a good ideal according to the GM Bulletin on 6 May 2010 that I was reading about on the factory add on method and GM making a move to block it when it comes to programming the BCM to turn the cruise control option on in the computer with a Tech 2. I can't believe that the dealer could block someone from having their cruise control turned on on their Cobalt after installing it themselves. After I had my aftermarket cruise installed by a car audio/stereo shop, they told me I had to go to my local Chevrolet dealer to have the cruise turned on. After I got to the dealer and talked to the guys at the service department, they told me that they couldn't turn my cruise on. Even after I had provided them with the instructions on how to turn the cruise control option on in the computer of the BCM. They told me that they never did anything like that before. They thought I was dumbfounded. That's how close I came to almost not having no cruise control on my Cobalt LS. In the end during that same visit, they finally agreed to turn on the cruise control option with a Tech 2, and to this day, everything is working fine.

I guess it's got something to do with warranties, right? That to me is what I think it is! Say like if you were to tear something up while trying to install something like this and you had to take your car in to a GM dealer to get it repaired, they might void your warranty because of it! I guess GM don't want us doing add-ons (upgrade mods) to are cars. They just want us to drive are cars the way they are from the day they were bought new I guess. I hate it when they say stuff like that because I wanted to do add-ons to my Cobalt since the day I bought it new. It's like I had to brake the law (GM bulletin/rules) in order to do that! There is nothing wrong with doing upgrade modifications to a Cobalt, just as long as we don't go overboard. It's all about making a Cobalt more sporty looking and a more fun car to drive and enjoy.

As far as the factory cruise goes, I still don't mind having that on my Cobalt. The buttons are cleaner/factory looking then the aftermarket cruise buttons are on steering wheel. After reading the how to so many times on here, this upgrade is a very easy one for me to do now. Now I get it on how to wire up the two wires (gray wire and pink wire) that run from the back of the steering wheel to the BCM in center console. I was just so confused on what wires I needed and how they are wired up. I will be going to Morad Parts (a garage with small salvage yard that sells used Cobalt parts) in Cleveland next week to pick up a BCM harness with the round and square tip .64mm micro connectors off of a salvage Cobalt (2007-2010) for this nice clean upgrade. I will be keeping everybody posted on how everything goes!

Last edited by KirkAllen1975; 12-04-2014 at 11:03 PM. Reason: update
Old 12-04-2014, 06:26 PM

These are the parts I have so far for the factory cruise mod! I still need to buy 22 gauge gray and 22 gauge pink wire and I might buy that stuff off ebay.
Attached Thumbnails img_0573.jpg  
Old 12-04-2014, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by KirkAllen1975
These are the parts I have so far for the factory cruise mod! I still need to buy 22 gauge gray and 22 gauge pink wire and I might buy that stuff off ebay.
The GM Part Number for the Steer Wheel Wiring Harness that I purchased from GMPartsNow.com is:

15902767 (steering wheel wiring harness for cruise)

The GM Part Numbers for the Cruise Control Switch that came with Steering Wheel Trim for left side of steering wheel that I purchased off of ebay is:

15942950 (cruise control/info buttons)

15845827 (steering wheel trim left for cruise control/info buttons)

Note, I have no plans to wire up the radio/audio controls on right side of steering wheel on my Cobalt.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:03 PM

Reviving this post to express my thanks for the how to and info that has been posted here.

I just finished installing a brand new 2010 Cobalt 2LT Leather steering wheel on my 2010 Cobalt 1LT.

I had neither cruise or radio buttons. All cables were in place and after plugging the new buttons in the radio worked immediately and the cruise is lighting up. I believe now I have to find someone with a Tech2 to get the ECU programmed. Anyone know someone in the CT area that has one?

This is the exact part I ordered. It came with the entire steering wheel assembly, buttons, wire harness, etc.

STEERING WHEEL for 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt|25977953

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2015, 01:18 PM

I wish you would have ordered on ebay I got my wheel for $60 new. But at least it works.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by andrewcarr1993
I wish you would have ordered on ebay I got my wheel for $60 new. But at least it works.
I scoured ebay for a couple months and found nothing new. There was one used one I saw for $99, but Id rather spend the extra cash on a new one. I bought my Cobalt with less than 8k miles.. I'm going to have this one for a while hopefully!
Old 03-02-2015, 11:46 PM

Tech2 to turn on cruise control option in BCM computer may only be a one time thing?

Originally Posted by enduro
Reviving this post to express my thanks for the how to and info that has been posted here.

I just finished installing a brand new 2010 Cobalt 2LT Leather steering wheel on my 2010 Cobalt 1LT.

I had neither cruise or radio buttons. All cables were in place and after plugging the new buttons in the radio worked immediately and the cruise is lighting up. I believe now I have to find someone with a Tech2 to get the ECU programmed. Anyone know someone in the CT area that has one?

This is the exact part I ordered. It came with the entire steering wheel assembly, buttons, wire harness, etc.

STEERING WHEEL for 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt|25977953

Thanks!
You would have to go to a GM dealer or a garage or shop that has a Tech2 on hand to have the cruise control option turned on in the BCM computer. You need a Tech2 to do that on with.

After I had my aftermarket cruise control installed by a car audio stereo shop, I had to go to my Chevrolet dealer to have the cruise control option turned on in the BCM computer with a Tech2. If I decide to upgrade my aftermarket cruise control to OEM factory cruise control on my Cobalt, hopefully I won't need to have that Tech2 thing done again because the cruise control option is already turned on in the BCM computer on my Cobalt, done deal on that one hopefully! That may only be a one time thing on the Tech2 BCM computer turn on for the cruise control to work?

Last edited by KirkAllen1975; 03-02-2015 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:53 PM

Should be, I believe most aftermarket ones tap into the same wire pin.

Quick Reply: Electrical: How To: Factory Cruise Control and Remote Radio Control Installation (2007- 2010)