How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

Interior: How to remove and install door speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to remove and install door speakers

ok first of all you will need these things:
a flathead screwdriver
a phillips screwdriver
7mm socketwrench
doublesided foamtape from radioshack
wirestrippers/wirecutters

the speaker size for the door is 6 1/2

now follow these instructions on how to take off the doorpanel

instructions

these instructions include wiring for an alarm and the doorpanel removal
be careful removing the little tab covers on the door handle and the door grabber thing casue
most likely you will break them when you try to remove them, if they do break, use the foam
tape so they dont fall off.
now get the 7mm socketwrench and remove the screw holding in the top of the speaker, then
get the flathead screwdriver and pry off the speaker, now disconnect it and depending on what kind of hardware came with your new 6 1/2 speakers, cut the connection so you can crimp on some connectors. Now get the double sided foam tape and place it around the speaker, put some pressure on the tape while you are applying it so it makes a complete seal. connect your connectores and mount your speaker in the middle of the hole, or you can drill your own holes but your speaker may rattle and that is why i choose to use foam tape. now apply pressure to the speaker as you are putting it in the hole and it should stay in, now test the speaker by turning on your radio, and if it works, just reverse the door panel removal steps and have a coke and a smile cause you are done!
hope this helps

Last edited by TommyP; 10-03-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by khan4rtist
get the flathead screwdriver and pry off the speaker, now disconnect it and depending on what kind of hardware came with your new 6 1/2 speakers, cut the connection so you can crimp on some connectors. Now get the double sided foam tape and place it around the speaker, put some pressure on the tape while you are applying it so it makes a complete seal. connect your connectores and mount your speaker in the middle of the hole, or you can drill your own holes but your speaker may rattle and that is why i choose to use foam tape.
I highly recommend against using only foam tape to hold your new speakers in the car. The proper way to do it is to drill holes in the door and use the speed clips provided with the new speakers to screw them in. The speakers won't rattle if you drill 4 holes and bolt them in securely. The 6 3/4" speakers are a better fit as well, although the 6.5" work too.

Jamie
Old 12-20-2005, 12:18 PM

i cant remove my door panel, because i dont have automatic windows...and i dotn know how to get the window roller knob thingy off
Old 12-20-2005, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by nomoreavril
i cant remove my door panel, because i dont have automatic windows...and i dotn know how to get the window roller knob thingy off
Use a rag and slide it back and forth between the handle and the door. There is a clip that holds on the window crank and after some work the rag should hook into it and pull it off. Have some patients with it and it will come.

As for the 2 sided tape holding in the speakers.....That's not a good idea. Simply get some self tapping screws and drill them into the door. That is going to give you the best hold.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:11 PM

cant I take some duct tape and fold it over and use that.

Old 12-20-2005, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by silentgarth
cant I take some duct tape and fold it over and use that.

LOL!
Old 12-21-2005, 01:27 AM

lol wtf i used self tapping screwsk, they dont break in, and i forgot about the manual window crank people, lol i have power windows my bad, lol but anyways good luck... Duck tape LOLLOLOLOLOL WTF LOL
Old 12-21-2005, 08:59 AM

lol wtf i used self tapping screwsk, they dont break in, and i forgot about the manual window crank people, lol i have power windows my bad, lol but anyways good luck... Duck tape LOLLOLOLOLOL WTF LOL
Um, it doesn't say in your "how to" to use self tapping screws. It said you used foam tape to hold the speakers in because you were scared of them rattling if you drilled it.

The easiest way is to just drill the holes a little bit bigger then your speaker screws and use the speed clips provided with the new speaker.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:52 AM

well i had no drill so i wasnt about to go and buy a new drill and i did get self tapping sheet metal screws but i guess they lied about them cause they didnt go in
Old 12-21-2005, 12:11 PM

well i had no drill so i wasnt about to go and buy a new drill and i did get self tapping sheet metal screws but i guess they lied about them cause they didnt go in
Ummm....what? Grammar and punctuation usually helps get your point across.

Your last post said you used self tapping screws, this one says you have them but didn't use them........??
Old 01-19-2006, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bandit2941
Ummm....what? Grammar and punctuation usually helps get your point across.

Your last post said you used self tapping screws, this one says you have them but didn't use them........??
..........i said that i did get self tapping screws.........but they didnt tap in like they said they would, so i just used foam tape instead, im not going to be posting on this site untill i find out what happened to my cobalt cause i got in a car accident, seeya
Old 06-10-2006, 05:44 PM

I don't get why that's funny. That's what self tapping screws do. I even used them in my car for the front speakers. You just have to keep pressure on them. They will eventually drill a hole and then pull themselves in.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:10 PM
Banned

I didnt know i had to read it. I like pictures. bye
Old 08-04-2006, 04:26 PM

yeah definitely lame install here. Tried it myself, no fit near GOOD at all. Called around audio shops, they said they wont even take in a cobalt because of how lame the setup is. WTF???

who makes a adapter for the door speakers? this is ridiculous, no reason to do any half assed work.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by nomoreavril

go to advanced auto parts and get the special tool to do it. ask the guys there. its only about $5. make sure, when you are usingt he tool that you insert it above the little black ring underneath knob or you wont get the clip. also the tool has to be inserted with the knob pointed toward the handle, the clip will come right out by using a tiny bit of force. be careful though, the first time i did it the clip flew off so whatch for that, but the next times dont used so much force. youll know what i mean. let me know if you ond t understand i can get pics.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:58 PM

I don't know what the rules are on these forums regarding endorsing another website, but honestly, if you want to know how to replace car audio, go to crutchfield.com If you buy your stereo, speakers, etc. from them, they will give you instructions on how to replace it...step by step, with pictures. I didn't buy my stuff through them for my Cobalt, but I did buy the instructions. I think it was $5? It makes it really easy. I did have to use self tapping screws like I said, but that wasn't a big deal. I replaced both front speakers and rear speakers in a few hours one Saturday.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:46 PM

yeah crutchfield is the best, but they are on the expensive side of things. but they make up for it with customer service and manuals.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:01 AM

I hope you wernt using a screw driver to put those self tapping screws in.... you definately need a drill or you will be there all day.

later
Old 08-17-2006, 08:12 PM

IS it just me or are these instructions not helpfull at all? How do i actully take it off? Just pry a flat head screwdriver inbetween the breaks? any help would be nice
Old 08-17-2006, 10:37 PM

yeah this how too does suck.

we need pictures (that are not hard to find and look for) and we need all of the spots you pried on. (im only saying somthing because i have my speckers siting in a box in my trunk.)
Old 03-16-2007, 02:09 PM

ok you wanna know how to remove your door panels. heres how sorry i dont have pictures but i really dont feel like taking it all apart anymore.

i dont know if its different on the different types of cobalts but there is 3 screws in the door, there is one behind the door handle your gonna need a pick tool or a flat head screw driver to pry the plastic cover off to get to the screw.

now theres two screws in the armrest whole on the door panel again you will need a tool to pry the plastic piece off.

Once you've removed all the screws you will need to pry the corner piece were the tweeter is usually, the little triangle piece.

then your going to need to pry the door free it has pop clips on it, so you'll either need a door panel popper tool or just use a flat head screw driver.

there the doors are off now.

i dont know about you but when i got to the speaker part i had a plastic housing for the speaker i just unscrewed the speakers from it and put the new one in. bolted right in
Old 04-11-2007, 08:00 AM

something is wrong with the instruction manual, it doesn't seem to be there.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:24 AM

I actully used my hands to remove my door panel, screw the tool and screw driver
Old 03-29-2008, 10:05 PM

the link doesn't work
Old 05-20-2008, 10:49 PM

Link blocked by forum police, can someone repost it with a space?

Quick Reply: Interior: How to remove and install door speakers