How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

Appearance: How to/Review: Plasti-Dip Evo Mod (Lots of Photos)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 09:59 PM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
Just I thought I had to deal with taking off the tape at the right time:

If you take the tape off after the first coat dries, then you'll have to re-apply for the subsequent coats, which might be hard to do. So why not stick 3 or 4 layers of tape on top of each other, cut off with a razor blade to get one uniform edge, and then mask the bumper. That way you can peel off one layer of tape after each coat and have a clean edge? Just a thought, I'm far from a paint expert...

Black 2010 SS/TC – G85 |Debadged | GMS1 | Hahn 3” DP and Catback | AEM intake | GM racing pedals | OZ Ultraleggera rims |DEPO 4th gen projectors w/ 6K HIDs | smoked LED tails | 20% 3M tint |Pioneer Avic Z110bt head unit, Alpine PDX-5 amp, Focal speakers all around

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3835837
Old 10-10-2010, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colodude18
Just I thought I had to deal with taking off the tape at the right time:

If you take the tape off after the first coat dries, then you'll have to re-apply for the subsequent coats, which might be hard to do. So why not stick 3 or 4 layers of tape on top of each other, cut off with a razor blade to get one uniform edge, and then mask the bumper. That way you can peel off one layer of tape after each coat and have a clean edge? Just a thought, I'm far from a paint expert...
You only need 1 coat really. Just enough to get the panel covered. And you should still be able to give it a small flash time without effecting it. remember its rubberized. u dont need to build it up. and just a general guideline for applying paint is just apply enough to cover the panel completely. The more you build the more texture it will have. Texture is bad
Old 10-10-2010, 10:31 PM
Nothin Stock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
u should of left it...u will never get the flexability out of the paint better then the factory and it will always look good too
Old 10-11-2010, 01:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lol @ the people bitching about their lip being scraped up.. My lip isn't even yellow anymore on the underside, like 85% of the paint is gone from going up/down **** that is too steep, but you know what, that's okay, because if I want to be ****, I'll go buy a new lip. You can't see it unless you're under the car, and well, the car is way too low to even see unless it is jacked up.

Not a big deal.. It's a cobalt, not a lamborghini..
Old 10-11-2010, 02:03 AM

Well, to be honest with you, I'd like to retain the original value of my car as much as possible. I plan on keeping it for a good long while and would like it to stay in as good of condition as possible without having to waste money on things like a new front fascia and paint job.

It'd be pretty cool to have a pristine Cobalt ss/tc 20 years from now.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:58 AM

i had the plasti-dip evo mod at one point, then i hit a raccoon...

here's a pic

the plasti-dip held up pretty well although i can't say the same for the bumper...or the raccoon. since the car received a new bumper, i plan to redo the evo mod in the spring. i also just peeled the plasti-dip off my wheels for the season and the wheels still look as they did the day i sprayed em
Old 10-11-2010, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by spiderbite

here's a pic

the plasti-dip held up pretty well although i can't say the same for the bumper...or the raccoon. since the car received a new bumper, i plan to redo the evo mod in the spring. i also just peeled the plasti-dip off my wheels for the season and the wheels still look as they did the day i sprayed em

hahaha, +1 for plasti-dip. Sucks about the bumper though.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:46 AM

I plasti dip the lip on my rims a while ago in red. Came out good but took to long to mask off the rims, I only did one rim and then removed it.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ch1ck3n
Well, to be honest with you, I'd like to retain the original value of my car as much as possible. I plan on keeping it for a good long while and would like it to stay in as good of condition as possible without having to waste money on things like a new front fascia and paint job.

It'd be pretty cool to have a pristine Cobalt ss/tc 20 years from now.
I guess.. I'd rather have a new lip, because I don't know about you, but my lip is all fucked up (missing paint) on the under side, not just on the middle part, where you painted it.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's a pic

Do you have any pics of your wheels with and without the plasti-dip?
Old 10-15-2010, 02:46 PM

Decided to keep the plasti-dip on the front end, fixed it up a bit (pics to come) and it looks pretty nice.

Found another great use for plast-dip though..
Have you ever been driving along a fun twisty road with a bottle of water in your cupholder? All is fine in a straight line. But once you hit that curve... "Oh no now I either have a mess or a bottle stuck underneath the heater core on the passenger side of the car!"
Spray that **** with some plastidip and let it dry overnight! It will do away with all of your cupholder's ineffectiveness in one felt swoop. Try Plasti-dip on your change tray, no more rattling coins! Try it on that little tray between the parking brake and the rear cupholders, no more rattling whatever you might have in there!

But in all seriousness, put some in my cupholders and change tray and whatnot, it has made me not so afraid of putting things in the cupholders and you can't even see it. It won't really stick to the sides of the cupholders so well unless you want to sand it, but it definitely helps hold your cups and whatnot just a little bit tighter.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:03 PM

i think imma plasti-dip my upper/lower grills, the grill bar(where the bowtie mounts), and the"evo mod" front lip...
Old 10-16-2010, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Gestapo007
Good writeup and thanks for takign the time to do this and show people. Heres what I notice being a paint/body guy.

Starting from the top, you cleaned the panel off with quick detailer. That kinda has like a wax in it and i wouldnt recommend putting that down and painting over it as the plastidip should have even less adhesion then normal now over that. I would have just windex'd it since its ammonia based and itll leave a streak free shine and clean as a whistle while not leaving behind any wax's or grease residue.

Masking job: You masked a nice line around the evo mod that you wanted, but when you hung the newspaper you just kinda taped it up there without sealing the edges so the paint overspray could find its way underneath the newspaper. Always mask the edges of the newspaper facing the panel to be sprayed down. so no overspray can work its way underneath. another trick i learned if ur doing a quick spot like this is to lay a heavy amount of wax over the front of the car without wiping it off (obviously not where ur painting or immediatly in that area, but if ur doing the evo mod, maybe 2 feet out start waxing the bumper twords ur wheel. maybe the hood too. that way any overspray gets on the adjacent panels itll sit on top of the wax which will then wipe right off. and bonus then those panels will feel nice since they have wax on em!

And about the tape line thats just a trial and error thing. unmasking is a super careful thing to do when doing any paintwork. Got to do it slow, pull straight back, not on an angle or to the side, and go slow watching it along the way. as soon as you see any paint stretch or anything, STOP, get a razor blade out, and correct the situation. What you could have done if it started stretching the edge and not leaving a solid line is to get a razor blade out and CAREFULLY cut a line in the paint following ur masking edge so itll leave a nice sharp edge. unmasking while its wet works well too for something like this but if the paint gets stringy right away then ur left with a mess as well. Now someone mentioned painting further out and just cutting the evo mod out of the overspray, eh, itll be much easier if you masked what you wanted, then trimmed the edge of the tape with the razor blade so youd have a nice straight line.

these are the razor blades you want
X2 being from the same kind of work (somewhat)

for a little better adhesion, might try going over the entire area with a tack cloth too

i'm just wondering how this will do when you go to wash the bumper...
Old 10-16-2010, 04:29 PM

1.) you might have tried taking the tape off before it was dry.
2.) i used clear coat over my plasti-dip and it still looks perfect except for one rock chip.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:36 PM

home depot don't got it, I got a weekend job there and they just looked at me funny, neither does autozone, o'reileys, HEB(texas food lion), or Wal-mart! I had one guy ask me what paint was and what would I be doing with it, and one guy run me in circles between home living and the auto section.. ugghhh
Old 10-16-2010, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by MastaShaKe_88
home depot don't got it, I got a weekend job there and they just looked at me funny, neither does autozone, o'reileys, HEB(texas food lion), or Wal-mart! I had one guy ask me what paint was and what would I be doing with it, and one guy run me in circles between home living and the auto section.. ugghhh
home depot does not carry.*
Lowes carries it, and so does my local Home Depot.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by StreetDrag03

here's a pic

Do you have any pics of your wheels with and without the plasti-dip?
sure, sorry for the late reply, kinda forgot about this thread

with plasti-dip evo mod and wheels...

just a wheel...

removing plasti-dip...

after plasti-dip...taken last saturday **note** this photo was not taken by me, it was taken by the owner of the orange cobalt who was with me. just wanted to give credit where it was due
Old 10-22-2010, 01:23 PM

can you use plasti-dip for the end spoiler inserts to?
Old 10-22-2010, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by cobaltSSbrennan
can you use plasti-dip for the end spoiler inserts to?
Can use it on anything really. I put it in my cupholders, painted my grilles with it. Been thinking about my wheels but I might back down from that one. Just make sure you tape off and mask everything nearby that you don't want oversprayed.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:07 PM

^ ok thanks!
Old 10-22-2010, 09:43 PM

so i was thinking about using this. i'm wondering if this would look stupide so let me know. im wanting to plastidip my front bumper and part of my hood. the reson Y is my front bumper has so many rock chips, so does the lower part of my hood. so im thinking about painting it so it looks like a bumper cover. what do u think? it wouldnt hurt to try cause i could just peel it off. the main thing i think that would be a pain is the layering and getting the tape off before it sets. so think of a clear bra....but not so clear lol
Old 10-24-2010, 12:16 AM

I did it on my car. Make sure you take the tape off quick or else it WILL rip up.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:18 AM

what if you decide you like it? do you just leave it or what?
Old 12-22-2010, 03:21 PM

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
How does the plasti-dip do with water? Does it hold up pretty well?
Old 01-18-2011, 03:04 PM

i cant believe i didnt see this! and you were at the sonic me i had a while back and it was done haha. yeah im totaly doing this

Quick Reply: Appearance: How to/Review: Plasti-Dip Evo Mod (Lots of Photos)