How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

2.0 LNF Engine: How To: Valve Gunk/Coking Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 12:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wired
Ya I did. Told it is a maintenance issue, not a warranty one.
Sorry to hear that. I would hate to pay that bill. I had my tranny serviced @75k, it started to go 5k later and I got it replaced brand new no hassle. Come to Canada mate we pay more for almost everything but the people are fair!

Also that much build-up on such a young engine? I will have to find someone who can get this done for me I am probably way overdue.

Last edited by Shanedude; 11-19-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shanedude
Sorry to hear that. I would hate to pay that bill. I had my tranny serviced @75k, it started to go 5k later and I got it replaced brand new no hassle. Come to Canada mate we pay more for almost everything but the people are fair!

Also that much build-up on such a young engine? I will have to find someone who can get this done for me I am probably way overdue.
Funny thing, my car is a Canadian model!

I did not have tranny issues that was another guy.

My engine did have a bad turbo and a previous owner that I think may have beat on it. Those are the only things I can think of.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**** my bad got confused. Ima sub this and thank you for putting the time to post it up. I will need to do this next year for sure. I haven't noticed any symptoms yet but it must be rough in there.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:15 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
great write up! I will have to give this a shot one day when I have the time
Old 11-19-2013, 02:23 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by CudaJoe
great write up! I will have to give this a shot one day when I have the time
10 hours of beer is gonna cost more than the tools to do this.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by umrdyldo
I would be beating heads if it didn't get covered when stock.
Trust me I was about to.

Originally Posted by Wired
Passenger belt tension sensor. Wires become stressed and start to acquire a open circuit. Turns airbags off. Light and message on the DIC comes on over and over. Seems like a safety problem due to the airbags turning off and my eyes coming off the road over and over when the light comes on.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/prob...ir-bag-299167/

One thing after another!

I'd also like to say that the valve cleaning has not totally made my morning starts ups always smooth. I still get some hiccups now and then. Plus now that my snow tires/wheels are on I can't try WOT or I spin instantly so I have no way to see if the top end misfires went away,
I just started getting the passenger airbag needs service a little while ago smh.

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
10 hours of beer is gonna cost more than the tools to do this.
Truth^^^^
Old 11-19-2013, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now you were able to blast when the valves were shut and you weren't worried at all about any going into your motor?
Old 11-19-2013, 06:18 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by seeyaass
Now you were able to blast when the valves were shut and you weren't worried at all about any going into your motor?
SMH! Read the how to!! the valves have to be closed. BUT that said, the media is wood and any stray fragments will burn away harmlessly in combustion.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lol^^
Old 11-19-2013, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dumb question but how do you close the valves? Didnt read any of that on the how to.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Former Vendor

rotate the motor. or you can rotate the car. take your pick. dumb answer.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
SMH! Read the how to!! the valves have to be closed. BUT that said, the media is wood and any stray fragments will burn away harmlessly in combustion.
I obviously read the whole how-to.... Which is Why I said "when the valves were shut you weren't worried at all about any going into your motor?"

Simply asking if he felt confident that nothing would have went in the motor.. Wasn't sure if a few specs could have got in and it would be harmfull. Sheesh.

Originally Posted by 714ionredline
Dumb question but how do you close the valves? Didnt read any of that on the how to.
READ. Lol put in 4th spin the tire.

Last edited by seeyaass; 11-19-2013 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-19-2013, 06:50 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
That's the wonder of walnut shell media, it's hard enough to remove crud but safe for the engines. Gotta love it.

READ. Lol put in 4th spin the tire.
It's also easy to put a socket on the crank pulley and just turn the engine over a half turn or so.

Last edited by ItalianJoe1; 11-19-2013 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-19-2013, 07:23 PM

Nice I don't know what mine looks like in there but definitely gonna plan on doing this over winter.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Former Vendor

Nice I don't know what mine looks like in there but definitely gonna plan on doing this over winter.
they look awful lol then you can buy my upgrade once they are clean. the upgrade helps keep it nice; wont do diddly to get rid of the coked oil already there. And if the piston rings and lands are damaged thats a whole other story
Old 11-19-2013, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
they look awful lol then you can buy my upgrade once they are clean. the upgrade helps keep it nice; wont do diddly to get rid of the coked oil already there. And if the piston rings and lands are damaged thats a whole other story
What upgrade do you offer Powell? And lord don't jynx me I believe my rings are fine as of right now.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:59 PM

And question.. What causes these valves and ports to gunk up so bad like that?
Old 11-19-2013, 08:21 PM

dealership took care of mine under warranty..they don't have a choice if the cel comes on..
Old 11-19-2013, 09:09 PM

Why does it happen? Dry intake, plus oil blowby from the turbo, plus a little dust getting past the air filter equals crud. Normal fuel injection is above valves, meaning you get a solvent wash with each injection - doesn't happen in DI's where the fuel enters below-valve.

Got a question on this - did you do anything to make sure you didn't have any walnut crap stuck up the crannies at the tops of the valves? Did you spritz anything up there to ensure you didn't have any renegade solids, or did you just assume/hope/expect the stray bits would just pop into the cylinders after a few cycles?

I haven't checked my 09, and I was thinking a few seafoam treatments are in order - and maybe something like this if I can't seafoam/5th injector and stay clean enough.

Great how to, either way, and great job with the pics - very clear!
Old 11-19-2013, 09:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SSSnoop
Why does it happen? Dry intake, plus oil blowby from the turbo, plus a little dust getting past the air filter equals crud. Normal fuel injection is above valves, meaning you get a solvent wash with each injection - doesn't happen in DI's where the fuel enters below-valve.

Got a question on this - did you do anything to make sure you didn't have any walnut crap stuck up the crannies at the tops of the valves? Did you spritz anything up there to ensure you didn't have any renegade solids, or did you just assume/hope/expect the stray bits would just pop into the cylinders after a few cycles?

I haven't checked my 09, and I was thinking a few seafoam treatments are in order - and maybe something like this if I can't seafoam/5th injector and stay clean enough.

Trust me. Seafoam cannot touch this stuff. It is on there hard and thick (lolz). If you can't trust me then trust John Powell. A 5th injector would help prevent it but not remove effectively what is already there.

I used a scraper tool and lots of compressed air to try and get the most I could from the valve seat area (including the hidden side to the front of the car which I feel most people would miss as you can't see it. I scraped a ton of crap out of there.) as well as the valve stem area. I am sure I missed some as you cannot remove all of it. Any that does get into combustion is harmlessly burned being that it is combustible organic material (wood).
Old 11-19-2013, 09:49 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SSSnoop

Please read the main LNF valve gunk thread it will explain the whys and wherefores. This thread is the how to.
and seafoam ? gets in your mouth when you surf.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:50 PM
Former Vendor

And question.. What causes these valves and ports to gunk up so bad like that?
crap another. Please read the LNF valve gunk thread very well started and very well explained. Props for wired for the how to.

props to anyone who goes read the other thread
Old 11-19-2013, 09:53 PM
Former Vendor

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l...e-gunk-282355/

gone in 10 secs did a good job with this thread. sssoop read the first post....
Old 11-19-2013, 11:27 PM

Powell what part do you offer to help this after it's cleaned?
Old 11-19-2013, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before i cry myself to sleep tonight for having read this, did you really walnut blast your cylinder head ports with the intake valves OPEN? Did the car even run afterwards?

Quick Reply: 2.0 LNF Engine: How To: Valve Gunk/Coking Removal