How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

Interior: SS/SC Shift Knob Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SS/SC Shift Knob Removal

Well, you definitely do not want to take yours off the same way I took mine off (beat it with a hammer until it broke). So I am going to tell you guys the CORRECT way to take it off because it is a pain in the ass if you don't know how!

It's is actually pretty simple. On the top of your shift knob you have the silver metal center piece and that is surrounded by a black rim. You need to CAREFULLY get a knife or a screw driver in between the black rim and the leather part of the shift knob. Gently pry off the black rim (The silver piece is attached to the black rim, they come off as one piece) Be careful not to mark it up if possible. Once you get the top off, you will see a torx screw that is screwed into the top of the shifter. Take out this torx screw and then the shift knob will pull straight off.

Last edited by TommyP; 05-19-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by BooSSted
Well, you definitely do not want to take yours off the same way I took mine off (beat it with a hammer until it broke). So I am going to tell you guys the CORRECT way to take it off because it is a pain in the ass if you don't know how!

It's is actually pretty simple. On the top of your shift knob you have the silver metal center piece and that is surrounded by a black rim. You need to CAREFULLY get a knife or a screw driver in between the black rim and the leather part of the shift knob. Gently pry off the black rim (The silver piece is attached to the black rim, they come off as one piece) Be careful not to mark it up if possible. Once you get the top off, you will see a torx screw that is screwed into the top of the shifter. Take out this torx screw and then the shift knob will pull straight off.
I wish I'd known this beforehand. I took the same "hammer" approach....
Old 05-11-2006, 11:39 AM

I do not see the screw in the top of my shifter.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:50 AM

actually, you don't need anything to take the shift knob off. the other day, my friend's '05 SS/SC shift knob literally FLEW off the shifter while he was shifting into fourth. (he wasn't even shifting hard, he was going maybe thirty miles an hour at the most)
Old 05-11-2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by arsenal21
I do not see the screw in the top of my shifter.
You have to pry off the top plastic piece, the screw is under there.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:27 PM

no there is no screw. i have a 05 ss s/c
Old 05-11-2006, 01:12 PM

well I guess the 05's and the 06's are different. Can't help you
Old 05-11-2006, 03:05 PM

Burn......
Old 05-11-2006, 07:53 PM

the 05's definatley have a screw underneath, are you sure you removed both peices off? mine has fallen off twice (the silver peice) and the torx bit screw has always been there
Old 05-11-2006, 09:15 PM

Mine won't come off... I've been trying for hours, it just won't pull off, screw out and everything i'm so frusterated i'm taking back my momo shift knob tomorrow and buying a b&m short throw shifter... its bullshit but that'll be easier. argh annoyance.

Just tried again out of frusteration and there is no way this shift knob is coming off.

2006 Black Cobalt SS/SC

took torx screw out and it acts like its cemented on there, it really is a head scratcher, i figured it be an easy swap, the only way i can see doing it is grinding it off below the shift knob which isn't an option. Unless anyone else knows what could be holding it on i don't know. Even heated it all up with a blow dryer, screwed a longer screw in where the torx screw goes and still no go, had two of us pull and still just stuck like cement. Short throw here i come!

Last edited by knatsabooh; 05-11-2006 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:21 PM

Funny you bring this up, it was a question on my Mark of Exellence test today! If you do not have the screw, here is what needs to be done;
Pop of the silver shift pattern cap. Now, slightly off center of the knob,(towards the radio), is about where the lever comes up into the knob. this is where the screw is on some cars. You need to drill a hole 4mm round, 5mm deep. Then obtain a self tapping screw,(the kind that has the slot on the tip and has a flat point), that will thread its way into the hole. As the screw threads down it will make contact with the metal lever and pull the knob off as you tighten it down.
I know this sounds compicated, but it's the best I can describe to you without a picture of what I mean.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by NJBLUESS
Funny you bring this up, it was a question on my Mark of Exellence test today! If you do not have the screw, here is what needs to be done;
Pop of the silver shift pattern cap. Now, slightly off center of the knob,(towards the radio), is about where the lever comes up into the knob. this is where the screw is on some cars. You need to drill a hole 4mm round, 5mm deep. Then obtain a self tapping screw,(the kind that has the slot on the tip and has a flat point), that will thread its way into the hole. As the screw threads down it will make contact with the metal lever and pull the knob off as you tighten it down.
I know this sounds compicated, but it's the best I can describe to you without a picture of what I mean.
NICE... I'll definitely have to try it
Old 05-11-2006, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by knatsabooh
Mine won't come off... I've been trying for hours, it just won't pull off, screw out and everything i'm so frusterated i'm taking back my momo shift knob tomorrow and buying a b&m short throw shifter... its bullshit but that'll be easier. argh annoyance.

Just tried again out of frusteration and there is no way this shift knob is coming off.

2006 Black Cobalt SS/SC

took torx screw out and it acts like its cemented on there, it really is a head scratcher, i figured it be an easy swap, the only way i can see doing it is grinding it off below the shift knob which isn't an option. Unless anyone else knows what could be holding it on i don't know. Even heated it all up with a blow dryer, screwed a longer screw in where the torx screw goes and still no go, had two of us pull and still just stuck like cement. Short throw here i come!
You need to get the stock knob off to install the B&M shifter as well.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by BooSSted
You need to get the stock knob off to install the B&M shifter as well.
Your kidding me? I thought it came off down lower on the boot with those 4 screws, then the whole thing just lifted out. Well if thats the case its staying stock... I'm putting the money into a torque dampener or something that serves a better purpose other then asthetic appeal. ****.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:38 PM

You guys crack me up. Listen to all this work for a shift knob, I'm loving it.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by 06CorvaltSS
You guys crack me up. Listen to all this work for a shift knob, I'm loving it.
Tell me about it.... haha i couldn't beleive it myself...

Success I got the bitch off with some major pulling... flew back in the seat lol , got the momo shifter on now and it looks sweet ... i'll have a pic up soon .

FYI , It really is a deep red, just it being night and the flash made it look orangish, it matches the red interior perfect, now i just have to stitch the bag so it stays tight around the bottom since the reverse lockout is gone.

Last edited by knatsabooh; 05-12-2006 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by knatsabooh
Tell me about it.... haha i couldn't beleive it myself...

Success I got the bitch off with some major pulling... flew back in the seat lol , got the momo shifter on now and it looks sweet ... i'll have a pic up soon .

FYI , It really is a deep red, just it being night and the flash made it look orangish, it matches the red interior perfect, now i just have to stitch the bag so it stays tight around the bottom since the reverse lockout is gone.
why is the reverse lock out gone? momo looks nice did you put it on the stock shifter? or is that aftermarket? will the momo fit with the reverse lockout? sorry bout all the questions I'm curious
Old 05-13-2006, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by arsenal21
why is the reverse lock out gone? momo looks nice did you put it on the stock shifter? or is that aftermarket? will the momo fit with the reverse lockout? sorry bout all the questions I'm curious
Once you get the stock shif knob off the reverse lockout slides off the shaft. And then the momo i had just slid over top and had three set screws at the side you just tighten up and boom no reverse lockout and new knob. The bag doesn't fit quite right without some minor touches tho .... hope this helps, I have a detailed rightup about my whole process if you want lemme know.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by discofreak
actually, you don't need anything to take the shift knob off. the other day, my friend's '05 SS/SC shift knob literally FLEW off the shifter while he was shifting into fourth. (he wasn't even shifting hard, he was going maybe thirty miles an hour at the most)
I had the same problem, only speed shifting into 2nd. It about hit me in the face.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Supercharged
I had the same problem, only speed shifting into 2nd. It about hit me in the face.
Mine has been coming off for the past 6-7 months now. Almost alway going to 2nd gear. Kinda fun scrounging for the knob as it rolls around the passenger seat before needing it for 2nd - 3rd shift. Maybe I'll come up with a "keep your shifter knob secure" how-to, to compliment this thread. Ha!
Old 05-13-2006, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by AZ_OrangeSS
Mine has been coming off for the past 6-7 months now. Almost alway going to 2nd gear. Kinda fun scrounging for the knob as it rolls around the passenger seat before needing it for 2nd - 3rd shift. Maybe I'll come up with a "keep your shifter knob secure" how-to, to compliment this thread. Ha!
lol no doubt... just get some good glue on that shaft...
Old 05-13-2006, 11:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I Just went thru this.... but isnt that bad & you dont have to loose your RLO just Mod.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:29 PM

Wow, am I ever glad I didn't get those seats. Those look terrible after a little bit of wear
Old 05-30-2006, 05:42 PM

I'm waiting for an '07 and I'm glad I saw that seat. There's no way I'm getting those now. Def Recaros or whatever upgrade they have for '07.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:19 PM

its leather... and is going to stretch what do u expect?

Quick Reply: Interior: SS/SC Shift Knob Removal