How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

Interior: Steering wheel bowtie fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel bowtie fix

A while back I bent the bowtie in the center of my steering wheel. That is a story in it's own. So I decided to give it a fix. I read in another section where the bowtie would pull out using a knife. After looking at the pics, I decide to give it a try.
First I taped off the steering wheel so that I would not damage the air bad cover. I then used a thin flat screw driver to pull out the emblem. After removing the emblem, I tried to form it back into shape but the damage was just to bad and got worse due to the thin metal that it is made out of. After looking for a replacement and finding out at the chevy dealer to get the emblem I had to buy the whole air bag assembly, I decided to try to make due with something. No graphic shops around here could make anything to fill the hole in the center of the steering wheel.
As I sat there thinking about what I was going to do, I noticed that the center cap in the center of the wheels looked to be about the same size. So I jacked up the car and removed the front wheel. I popped out the center cap and matched it up to the one from the center of the steering wheel. Wow it was the exact same size. Now my car has the 16" five spoke wheels on it just the let you know. As I flipped it over I noticed that it was made different on the back. No big deal I came up with a fix for that to. So I got on the phone and called the local chevy dealer ship and ordered a center cap for one of my rims. The price was only $12. Alot cheaper than the $600 for the complete air bag assembly.
The next day I picked up the new center cap from the chevy dealer. I brought it home and used a grinder to remove the plastic tabs from the back of the center cap. I placed it in the center of the steering wheel, but it didn't fit flush. No big deal I have the fix for that to.
Behind the bowtie in the center of the steering wheel is a raised star burst pattern that helps hold the factory emblem in place. This was what was causing the new home made emblem not to fit flush. So I just took a razor blade and carefuly trimed down the pattern until it was close to flush with the rest of the indention for the emblem. Then I used 400 grit sand paper to take them down a little bit more and scuff up the rest of the indention so that the glue that I was going to use would have something to help stick to. I then used the 400 grit sand paper lightly on the back of the emblem to do the same.
I found some glue in my father-in-laws body shop and used it lightly on the back of the emblem and in the indention in the steering wheel for the emblem. I was careful to make sure that I didn't use to much so that it wouldn't squeeze out from around the emblem. I then place a couple pieces of tape over it to help hold it in place.
After about 2 hours in a warm garage I removed the tape and was finished. It fits flush and looks like it came from the factory with it. Actualy it looks a little better because it has a little more shine to it. Now this is a fix for anyone who does not like their bowtie in the center of their steering wheel. Because for $12, a little paint, and the above steps anyone can make any combination of colors for a new bowtie.

Last edited by TommyP; 05-17-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:42 PM

nice idea

can we see pictures?
Old 02-22-2006, 06:53 PM

Damn!!! I hope you never have to use your air-bag because you just made a nice little bullet that could possibly maim or God forbid kill you There is a reason GM put such a thin ass emblem on there in the first place, they didn't want you to be torn up by flying debrie in a accident You may want to consider getting it repaired correctly
Old 02-22-2006, 07:18 PM

I doubt that the glue that I used will allow that to happen. I mean I have seen fender emblems glued on with this at the shop, and then they would be involved in another accident on down the road the fender would be warped and bowed bad and the emblem would still be on. Also I checked in some local salvage yards and the air bags that were deployed in wreck cobalts had went around the emblem not down the middle.
As for things flying out because of the air bags, a friend of mine owned a 1996? thunderbird. One morning him and his dad were going to work when they hit a deer. Instead of the the air bags deploying they exploded the dash on the passanger side. The AC vent came out and struck his dad in the face. It just left a red place on his face shaped like the grills in the vent. No serious injury. He had bought the car new, so how do we know if they will even work right. The new emblem is made of plastic and weighs about the same as the old one, and I know it doesn't weigh as much as an AC vent.
As for pic's. I didn't take any while I was doing it. I forgot the camera. I could probably get one of the finished product sometime.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:34 PM

woul really like to see some pics
Old 02-22-2006, 10:42 PM

interesting...
Old 02-23-2006, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by d_backer1
Damn!!! I hope you never have to use your air-bag because you just made a nice little bullet that could possibly maim or God forbid kill you There is a reason GM put such a thin ass emblem on there in the first place, they didn't want you to be torn up by flying debrie in a accident You may want to consider getting it repaired correctly

I believe it would matter not, unless he was sitting right next to the airbag, which is bad anyway. When airbags deploy the center peice pops up, so to be pointing at the front glass/roof. If it deployed out, the cover alone is hard enough to kill you at higher speeds.

Btw cool mod, makes me want to do it now.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:18 PM

Old 02-24-2006, 08:57 PM

I tried to take some pics but they didn't turn out to well. The flash from the camera made it to bright to realy see it well. So I am going to have to wait until I get in some brighter light or a nice sunny day to take some more.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:34 PM

In hindsight this seems like a cool idea , but man , I would not recommend it . At the force rate the airbag explodes at , it would definately shoot that emblem off . If youve never seen or expirienced a airbag exploding , you just have no clue There really isnt any adhesive thats gonna bond abs plastic ( the backing on the center cap ) to the rubber used on the airbag cover strong enuff . GM does not sell that emblem separately because it isnt replaceable once the airbag cover assembly is assembled . The ears that wrap around underneath the cover secure it to the flap when the bag blows , so its not a flying projectile . The stock emblem DOES stay on the cover when it blows . The cut line in the cover follows the left side of the center emblem when the bag blows .

If I were you , I would keep checking ebay and salvage yards for a used undeployed airbag cover . The Cobalt is common enuff the used airbags will get pretty cheap as more and more are on the road . Ive seen airbag covers for common cars go as low as $50 .

I usually wont post opinions in a how-to , but this could mame or potetially kill someone should the airbag ever go off, and didnt want people who may not be aware of the risks , ripping off their emblems and replacing them with projectiles . Sorry man .
Old 07-06-2006, 11:35 AM

I have read a lot of posts with dumb ideas but this may be the dumbest.

I work for an airbag supplier and I can tell you that this post is now the laughing stock of the airbag industry. It is also making the rounds inside GM with the same results.

It sounds like a comedy bit straight from Jeff Foxworthy. "You might be a redneck if you replace your DAB emblem with a hubcap"

An airbag emblem is a non serviceable item for a reason. As stated in posts above the emblem needs to stay attached during a deployment. If it detaches it becomes a chinese throwing star at a potentially high rate of speed. They are made of lightweight material to reduce inertia so that it can be retained during a deployment. I don't think some glue from a body shop is going to hold on an emblem during deployment.

I can tell you for a fact that this is dangerous. The rim centercap is much heavier than the aluminum emblem and if it strikes you or your passengers in an accident they will likely sustain significant injury.

OEM's write saftey specifications for a reason and sometimes they are considered by many in the engineering community as going overboard. But now I understand who they are trying to protect. They don't call it idiotproofing for nothing.

You certainly went through a lot of effort to somehow prove that you did not make a mistake. When faced with the fact that you pulled off an non replaceable emblem that would cost you $600 to fix the right way, you chose to do a rig job that puts you at danger.

So to any of you with dented emblems (emblem does not equal horn buttons) pay attention to how to fix it right. Buy a new airbag.

As I have read other related posts, I want to recommend the following:

Do not take steering wheels or airbags from other vehicles and install them in your car. Steering wheels and airbags only work in the vehicle they were designed for. So a Malibu or Monte Carlo steering wheel and airbag will not work properly in a Cobalt. Most of the time the airbag connectors are not compatible anyway.

If you want to put a decal or paint the emblem it should have little to no effect to the airbag peformance.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While your making fun of the guy who did this, if you are trying this then you probably understand the danger. I do not say this is not a good idea, but realise this isn't the worst. People put non airbag wheels on their car all the time, and most of them have metal on the inside, one hit with your head and that's instant blackout, or worse. I would say as long as you understand the dangers this is still a good idea, and if you don't want to do something heavier just make a custom vinyl bow-tie and add some clear plastic or wax over it to add depth and stick it on. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by larry arizona

I work for an airbag supplier and I can tell you that this post is now the laughing stock of the airbag industry. It is also making the rounds inside GM with the same results.

It sounds like a comedy bit straight from Jeff Foxworthy. "You might be a redneck if you replace your DAB emblem with a hubcap"

An airbag emblem is a non serviceable item for a reason. As stated in posts above the emblem needs to stay attached during a deployment. If it detaches it becomes a chinese throwing star at a potentially high rate of speed. They are made of lightweight material to reduce inertia so that it can be retained during a deployment. I don't think some glue from a body shop is going to hold on an emblem during deployment.

I can tell you for a fact that this is dangerous. The rim centercap is much heavier than the aluminum emblem and if it strikes you or your passengers in an accident they will likely sustain significant injury.

OEM's write saftey specifications for a reason and sometimes they are considered by many in the engineering community as going overboard. But now I understand who they are trying to protect. They don't call it idiotproofing for nothing.

You certainly went through a lot of effort to somehow prove that you did not make a mistake. When faced with the fact that you pulled off an non replaceable emblem that would cost you $600 to fix the right way, you chose to do a rig job that puts you at danger.

So to any of you with dented emblems (emblem does not equal horn buttons) pay attention to how to fix it right. Buy a new airbag.

As I have read other related posts, I want to recommend the following:

Do not take steering wheels or airbags from other vehicles and install them in your car. Steering wheels and airbags only work in the vehicle they were designed for. So a Malibu or Monte Carlo steering wheel and airbag will not work properly in a Cobalt. Most of the time the airbag connectors are not compatible anyway.

If you want to put a decal or paint the emblem it should have little to no effect to the airbag peformance.
Don't be an ass about it.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:58 AM

i had a similer problem with my emblem and instead of rigging some wheel cap. i reassembled the piece and bent the tabs in enough that it would hold and it had a dent but oh well. i ended up finding out what a dumb ass i was a few weeks later because i got into an accident and the airbag deployed and left me with a chevy imprint on my forehead. coluld have been worse but that **** hit me really hard. maybe this guy needs to be hit with with something harder for him to realize he mad a huge mistake

oh and as for an airbag "cover" for 50 bucks...its not a cover, its an entire assembly..i put mine in myself. its about 400 to 800 dollars...have fun
Old 07-07-2006, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by redivivus
Don't be an ass about it.

Not trying to be an ass about it. Simply stating the facts and certainly do not want this to become a common practice to modify DAB's.

Airbags are there for our protection and to help save your life and reduce your injuries.

But then again there are still plenty of people that refuse or forget to put there seatbelts on.

I guess if people get hurt doing this they have given up there right to complain when they do get hurt. Maybe this will weed out the weak ones in the gene pool.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:00 AM

Thanks Larry Arizona, very good info for anyone that values there life.
Dennis
Old 07-16-2006, 10:43 AM

well actually, since he could pri the factory one off with a knife, wouldnt that potentally mean the factory one could fly off too. just some food for thought.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:14 PM

Trust me , if you saw how its attached .....it isnt going anywhere . The long fingers bend over into groves on the backside . Ive seen several blown bags where the logo was bent from the bag going off , but it didnt disturb how it was mounted at all .
Old 07-16-2006, 10:47 PM

Not trying to be an ass about it. Simply stating the facts and certainly do not want this to become a common practice to modify DAB's.

These (bold items) are not facts. They are opinions/insults.

Why not simply explain that the guy's actions could be dangerous and you (having experience working for an airbag supplier) would not recommend it. Maybe he, like others, would not have thought that it was dangerous. No need for insults.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by xCobalt05x
well actually, since he could pri the factory one off with a knife, wouldnt that potentally mean the factory one could fly off too. just some food for thought.

The factory one goes through a full production validation test series so NO it will not come off during a deployment.

Prying it off with a screwdriver is a different dynamic than a deployment and are unrelated.

I apologize for any insults but it pisses me off when issues like this happen without any regard for common sense. Imagine if just 1% of vehicle owners did this mod to there vehicles X 16 million vehicles sold annually in the USA. That is a lot of potential injuries out there.

Leave the engineering to the engineers and the cut out the backyard customizing on safety related items. We spend an average of 2 years in development to protect the customer and you would be amazed at the lfrivalous lawsuits that crash victims bring upon the OEM's in cases like getting hurt by an airbag.

Don't think for one moment that if someone got hurt by a self modified Airbag that a lawsuit against GM would not occur. They might not win but any greasy lawyer would try and that all costs us in the end.

By the way in you list of facts and opinions. GM engineers did read this along with others I work with and they did laugh pretty hard so that is a fact.

Sometimes drawing a sharp response will cause one to think about what they are doing in the future. I am only trying to help!
Old 07-27-2006, 01:58 PM

will this one fit in our cars...and how much do dealers sell them for?
Attached Thumbnails int_gallery06.jpg  
Old 07-27-2006, 02:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SSnightwolf
will this one fit in our cars...and how much do dealers sell them for?
Hmmmmm. I like that one a lot. I wonder if it will fit too. Where did you find that? It doesn't give you specs or anything?
Old 07-27-2006, 02:18 PM

Airbags are there for our protection and to help save your life and reduce your injuries.

But then again there are still plenty of people that refuse or forget to put there seatbelts on.

I guess if people get hurt doing this they have given up there right to complain when they do get hurt. Maybe this will weed out the weak ones in the gene pool.
i as well dont think you should of made those rude remarks. if you really wanted to just help someone out you could of just stated that it could potentionally cause worse damage period. nothin like making someone feel 2 inches tall. im only saying something about this because i deal with rude remarks all the time. im a girl who works in a jet engine shop, everyone else are all males. if i try to report whats going on with a part or anything they just look at me blank and pretty much say to my face, i dont know what i am talking about. not to mention they call me a kid. i am 21 years old. im not a kid anymore. i probably went threw more "grown up stuff" than they did. and then that person will turn to a guy and he will say the same exact report. all i am saying is, pay attention to what you say... you could be degrading someone and putting them down. can we all just be nice? is that too much to ask?
Old 07-27-2006, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by CTCOBALTSSS
Hmmmmm. I like that one a lot. I wonder if it will fit too. Where did you find that? It doesn't give you specs or anything?
That one is from the Impala SS, I want one for my car. I'm going to look into doing this change, but do it the right way, not just glue it on, but take the airbag off and dis-assemble it, and replace the emblem, re-pack the airbag and re-install on to the stearing wheel. I've seen a few in my time, so I think I might be able to do it myself, with-out destroying the integeraty of the airbag function.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:43 PM

i got the pic from a Monte Carlo SS.....from the chevy website, under gallery.

Quick Reply: Interior: Steering wheel bowtie fix