Mid East MI, IN, OH, KY, WV, and VA

NE Ohio Thread FTW

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not just replace the body pieces instead of getting them repaired? It'll be way cheaper. Probably find a back bumper for around 200-300 on ebay or something.

I know it sucks driving around a car that looks beat up, but it's a healing process man. Take your time, and buy the parts as you have the money. Don't let your self get too bent out of shape about it because you'll end up getting your self into another situation that will cause you more aches.

For instance, my cobalt in the first week needed a flex pipe. After that, the clutch fried; replaced clutch and resurfaced fly wheel (500 total with parts and labor). Then second gear stopped working and I replaced the tranny (750 total with a brand new trans and labor). Then i had to replace my shifter cables a month after that. I also replaced the SC coupler and oil. I also need to replace my bypass valve lines since they're starting to fall apart.

When you own a Cobalt, it's always a work in progress. But my Cobalt is running great now =)

Also keep in mind all of those issues happened in the first year buying this car lol

Last edited by Lifter; 12-05-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:55 AM

Thanks man. I know what you're saying but it's hard to even want to fix everything that's wrong with the car. I wanted a scooby and I didn't find one in time so I went with this car. When I first got it I thought it might not be so bad, especially if I mod it some, but it's been nothing but trouble from the start. It's my own fault for rushing into buy the car, but it's got so many problems from the accidents it was in that I didn't know about until a week or so after I bought it that the new stuff that has happened to it makes me feel like it's not even worth it.

Who knows. I'd love to get rid of it and my R6, get a STi and forget all about the cobalt, but I don't think things are going to work out that way, especially since I can't even get a decent amount of money for the car now with all the damage from people hitting it recently.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew.4L
haha. yeah i thought it was a bit much. i took some of my rage out on my workers at mcdonalds. im a manager. but yeah if ppl are offering to help.... ill gladly take it... a girl from work wants to help. and then theres lifter. also, i think i will still get those wheels brad and fieldMP. No, ive not done my own job, this is my first car and my brakes are wearing unevenly (so the guy showed me). and and.... im at 52,000+ miles right now. well can someone then look at my **** cus it looks pretty worn to me... stopping is getting worse and squeaks getting squeakier... and yeah that sway bar is most annoying, thought it was my suspension..
there, i think i got everyones posts answered. bedtime, i got a final in 5 hours.
My wheels and tires are spoken for now.

alright... im just going to list what i think im going to need.
front and rear pads. From Napa or even Conrad's.
trans fluid... at 52,600 miles.
sway bar bushings, or whatever they are...
brake fluid.
Dirty's Garage.......................................roflc opter
im not very good at asking things from people. perhaps i can just.... idk figure something else out? idk

and @black 67, yeah i should be done by like thursday at the latest.
I'd get Hawk HPS pads, if I were you. That's what I went with. Better stopping than the stock pad and a lot less dust.

Trans Fluid DOESN'T need changed.

Sway Bar End Links aren't a necessity... so you can put them off, if need be. They're just annoying.

Brake fluid is cheap and easy... should be done at the same time as your pads. Bleed the car in an X. (FL, RR, FR, RL).

Originally Posted by Kyle_06_SS
You guys are going to love this.

For the record
-my mom backed into my SS last week, doing ~$460 in damage to the passenger side.
-The car was in at least 2 accidents prior to when I bought it, the rear axle was bent (I replaced it), and the passenger rear quarter panel needs work, ~$490 in damages to be repaired.
-I also forgot to mention the hood and front bumper that were also damaged when the previous owner rear ended a truck, another ~$510 in damages.

I bought the car anticipating having to pay to have the passenger rear quarter panel and hood/front bumper fixed, but not the passenger door and not what happened last night...

So last night I was playing DD for my girlfriend's sister's 21st birthday. I insisted on driving my car, but my girlfriend made me drive her sister's Fusion instead. I left my car at my girlfriend's house and it got backed into by her dad's company's box truck, punching a hole through the rear bumper and bottom lip with the hitch. ****. This. Car. I don't even have money to buy books for next semester, let alone get this stuff fixed.

I sold my GTP so that I could have a car that wasn't dented, scratched and rusty. Looks like I was destined to anyhow. It's embarrassing to drive a car that looks like ****, it makes me hate this car more and more every day.

/rant

Sorry for bitching up the thread, but I had to get that out.

Pics:

door, it' all scratched up as well, but it's so dirty you can't tell:
[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x287/kyle99gtp/Slobalt/Damage/DSC_0886.jpg[IMG]

Rear bumper:
[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x287/kyle99gtp/Slobalt/Damage/DSC_0897-1.jpg[IMG]
That reeeeaaaally sucks man.

Originally Posted by TommypSS/TC
are the RE-11's REALLY worth the extra money over the NT-05s or Star Specs? Cuz they're really expensive. I don't think I'd want to spend $1000 on tires.
RE-11's are awesome tires. NT-05's suck *****. Don't even consider them. I'd stick with Star Specs though. Amazing tire... and more than most will ever need.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:59 PM

awwww mann. well alright. no rims for drew. back to planning for exhaust and a tune. OH and tint.

alright, so brake fluild.
and, HAWK pads. these available in a store?
ok. no tranny fluid....
but, the sway bar links keep making sqeaky noises on the right side... its been like that for months so i guess itll survive the winter.
NOW, who wants to help me? we dont need a heated garage really. just men. and knowledge of brake systems lol
Old 12-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

I can change all 4 brakes and fluid in like an hour or two.

Hawk pads are available through OTTP. Get the HPS pads.

Just about any DOT 3 brake fluid will be fine too. But if you wanna be a baller and get good stuff... ATE Super Blue is ****:

MJM Autohaus
Old 12-06-2010, 05:49 PM

x2 on the Hawk HPS pads. I put HPS pads on all around a while back and I love them. Pretty quiet, stops great wet and dry, and very little dust, especially considering they aren't ceramic.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:38 PM

Yep, Hawk pads are great. I have them on my car and on the baby wagon (my wifes Malibu Maxx). I also put on the R1 Concept Rotors on both cars.

Drew, I can help with these. If needed, we can always run to Summit Racing for them, they usually will have them. I also want to look at the rotors, as they might be dead too. GM rotors have a tendency to "chunk" at about the milage that you have. The ones on my truck did, and the ones on the Malbu just were bad.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:43 PM

I think it's time to go driving out in the snow (for fun)
Old 12-06-2010, 08:48 PM

anyone want tc wheels in ne ohio with tires pm me
Old 12-06-2010, 08:52 PM

Hey I got this so I can get your 2WD cars out of my driveway.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:36 PM
Vtec Rep
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats badass haha, work good?
Old 12-06-2010, 09:44 PM

Hell yes it does.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Vtec Rep
Platinum Member

i want one haha. looks like it will take on the whole driveway in 3 mins
Old 12-06-2010, 09:51 PM

hmm, I already have 2 sets of TC wheels for my car 1 Slow SS, have anything else for sale? I am looking at a second set of headlights so that I can redo them and not have the car down.

Well, mine is small and red, and made by Toro. But it will pull me down my drive way if I let it. But if I get stuck, I just get the Silverado out. That thing will go threw anything. I have pushed snow with the front bumper before and had it in mud to the door sills.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:53 PM

Have everything for sale except stock headlgihts lol

Charge piping with Hks
Every LSJ part haha

Just pm me with what u need lol
Old 12-07-2010, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
I can change all 4 brakes and fluid in like an hour or two.

Hawk pads are available through OTTP. Get the HPS pads.

Just about any DOT 3 brake fluid will be fine too. But if you wanna be a baller and get good stuff... ATE Super Blue is ****:

MJM Autohaus
haha. fieldMP id have you do em, but now the two hour drive is... well... pointless.
but, thanks for the brake info. Hawk seems to be the norm over stock around here.

Originally Posted by black67
Yep, Hawk pads are great. I have them on my car and on the baby wagon (my wifes Malibu Maxx). I also put on the R1 Concept Rotors on both cars.

Drew, I can help with these. If needed, we can always run to Summit Racing for them, they usually will have them. I also want to look at the rotors, as they might be dead too. GM rotors have a tendency to "chunk" at about the milage that you have. The ones on my truck did, and the ones on the Malbu just were bad.
chunk eh? haha yeah a trip to summit in this weather sounds like a blasty. are you the one that works at pizza hut with mike by chance? and for that matter where is mike these days? yeah NTB said the rear rotors need to go...
Old 12-07-2010, 05:17 AM

Nope, I work in Akron. So I drive near Summit everyday. I live on the other side of town and drive a 09 Silver SS 4 door with Red Brembo's. Usually many people don't see my car, as it must blend in.

I think that I saw Brads clone today on Route 3. It was a Blue SS but not with black wheels. He was heading south and I was heading north. Unless he has some winter wheels.

Well, I already have in the Injen charge pipes on. I like them, and the sound.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:13 AM

If u live in medina and work in akron you might see me on 76 sometimes. I've been taking that into akron in my blue scoob lately.

Probably won't see me in the near future cuz ill be taking a different route for carpooling and driving a dark gray volvo
Old 12-07-2010, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by black67
Nope, I work in Akron. So I drive near Summit everyday. I live on the other side of town and drive a 09 Silver SS 4 door with Red Brembo's. Usually many people don't see my car, as it must blend in.

I think that I saw Brads clone today on Route 3. It was a Blue SS but not with black wheels. He was heading south and I was heading north. Unless he has some winter wheels.

Well, I already have in the Injen charge pipes on. I like them, and the sound.
ill keep a look out, but where in medina do you live?

Originally Posted by Dirty25RS
If u live in medina and work in akron you might see me on 76 sometimes. I've been taking that into akron in my blue scoob lately.

Probably won't see me in the near future cuz ill be taking a different route for carpooling and driving a dark gray volvo
i live in medina but travel to akron for school, so ill keep a look out too

Last edited by Drew.4L; 12-07-2010 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-07-2010, 08:27 PM

Well, I am usually an early bird for work. I get in around 6am, but then I don't leave until around 4pm.

I am on the South Side of Medina, near Chippewa Lake.

Do to some things today, I had to go in late. People could not drive on the roads. It seamed that everyone was an old grandma. I know that I have snow tires, but I was still breaking them loose. The roads were not that bad though.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:37 AM

A little update: The damage to my rear bumper by itself was quoted at ~$1040 to fix
Old 12-10-2010, 04:23 AM
Vtec Rep
Platinum Member

dear lord. i deff wouldnt be paying that if i were you
Old 12-10-2010, 05:35 AM

Is that lip made of gold, platinum, or paladium?

That is robbery to get that fixed. I hope that your gf family is going to help pay for this.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:20 AM

@black67 and anyone else that really wants to help...

last final today... whats monday like for you? i think im free. i was supposed to take someone to a surgery but looks like shes dead.
..... JK but shes got another ride it seems. if not, tuesday im somewhat free. got some christmas shopping to do , if not tuesday then thursday lol just let me know
Old 12-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

haha. fieldMP id have you do em, but now the two hour drive is... well... pointless.
but, thanks for the brake info. Hawk seems to be the norm over stock around here.
Understandable.

And call me Rob.

Quick Reply: NE Ohio Thread FTW