New Members Check In!! If you're new to CobaltSS, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Cobalt!!

Newish member Nova Scotia, Canada

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 07:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Newish member Nova Scotia, Canada

Hey everyone Taylor here picked up a 06 yellow SS/SC stage 2 with KN&N about a month ago and been working some things out with it. I'll get some new pics up of it when I remember to bring a camera.

The car had about 174k on it when I got it and up to 176k now and had a bunch of fun happen after finding the heater core has some issues after about 800km of driving. The car had sat for the better part of two years it had a service tag on the windshield from 2013 with 173k as the odo reading.

So far I've oil/filter change, fuel filter, vac lines to supercharger, clean/oil kn&n, checked the i/c pump, changed the upstream o2 sensor, cabin air filter, coolant drain/refill, brake fluid.

Story to the coolant started as low coolant on the dash, checking under the hood the reservoir had fluid so figured must be sensor issue, few weeks pasted and it came up again checked and fluid level was down but hadn't seen any signs on white smoke or puddles. It started affecting the warm up giving running water sounds in the dash revving and causing low speed misfires until it was warmed up and then felt normal sometimes breaking up in the top RPM under WOT.

At this point I was in panic that I bought a slap together blown head gasket but still couldn't find any signs of the lost coolant in the oil, under the car, in the cabin, but I would get a nice sweet smell from the vents at times. It's been 30c or so lately so haven't touched the heat and don't like A/C so roll with the windows down few times had to use the climate control at night to clear haze at the bottom in the middle and a few to warm it first thing in the morning.

But with all that going on Praise Jebus I have a heater core problem, ran to the store bought some worm clamps and looped one line back into the heater core and the other to the return on the block cause right now I'm not up the tearing apart the dash in this heat/humidity. This cleared up the losing coolant issue and the running water sounds and hesitation while driving but was still getting some misfires, the code it had tossed during that was for cylinder 3 so pulled the plugged and it was badly wet fouled didn't smell or look like coolant or oil so hit it with a lighter and beck to the store picked up another plug swapped em and crossed my fingers and luck was with me.

So far driven it to and from work today (10km) and had zero start up or warm up issues and gave me the freight train power I was used to when the car was running normally. I had gotten the too rich code a few times but I'll see where that goes with the current state of it.

Right now have a bit of a list in my head, we don't have 93 octane here so I've been using $16 dollar octane boosts with each tank so getting a HPT and wideband is pretty much first on the list, 2.5" catless-dp with 2.5" cat back, and a engine damper. Then thinking basics for a car with almost 200k that sat for a couple years, timer chain/tensioners, rubber bits in the suspension, shocks seem ok, brake pads are almost new, clutch is good, battery checked out ok, tires are decent, serpentine belt looks good, I'll have to look into forums a bit deeper for what other big things should be done. Might have to get a upstream o2 sensor right from GM if the NGK unit causes any problems I saw some non-gm can give the slow response code which I had gotten before my repairs.

Coming from a 2000 Honda Civic hatch lowered, 16" wheels, i/h/e/clutch on rebuilt b18c1 this car is totally different in power delivery, handling, and overall feel I'm not skimming along the road haha. It's a nice change and will take some getting used to, though haven't driven the Civic in over a month.

Cya around the forums!

TL;DR

Taylor, 06 stage 2 ss/sc, heater core seems like BHG, car runs for 10km after fix, used to drive swapped Civic, Stay Tuned! Is it supposed to sit lower in the back?

Last edited by taytoe; 08-18-2015 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Added TL;DR
Old 08-18-2015, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the forum! No, it isn't supposed to sit lower in the back. I've never seen one that looked like that. Good luck with all the tune ups.