Nitrous Oxide N20

Saab 2.0 (LSJ) Turbo on E85 w/ Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saab 2.0 (LSJ) Turbo on E85 w/ Nitrous

So there isn't any resource at all on running Nitrous on my Saab, and I feel like there is a little more knowledge and experience with running the juice here...I have an 04 9-3 2.0T running on E85 and 25psi, currently at about 327/395 crank, stock motor and trans. I'm running the Siemens #60's, 3" catless exhaust, FMIC, and other smaller fun stuff...

I was originally looking into the intercooler sprayers, then thought about running a Nitrous FMIC sprayer to supercool the charge, then thought about if it were able to handle a 35 or a 50 shot...I don't have any experience with nitrous yet but i'm researching a ton about how a turbo w/e85, and e85 w/ nitrous, but it's difficult to find a good example that utilize all 3. I Have a boost gauge and wideband, and might find a way to get logworks software working on my laptop to log IAT's, knock count etc...

I have a tune for e85 that was set very rich at first, at WOT it could make it into the mid 10's...I kept getting spark blowout because the mixture was too dense (i'm assuming too much fuel), and thought about uploading it and spraying a shot to lean it out and help spool time, and I feel like the E85 would help reduce the chance of possible knock.

Couple things I'm concerned about are the boost pressure (tune was tested in colder weather, much warmer now, so the boost might not be at 25 if I re-uploaded it), cylinder pressure, stock fuel pump taking a ****, the 5 speed trans not shattering lol, and if I would need to adjust timing on a small shot like that...As you can see i'm just a little overly cautious about running it because of it's notoriety, but it seems like it can work well if the person knows what theyre doing. Also not sure about if a dry shot would be sufficient, or if I would need a wet shot...I'm assuming you can fine tune wet kits to get the perfect mix (??...some info or help/advice there would be great).

I'd like to build the motor and trans over the mid/late summer, and upgrade my turbo and use this car for autoX...I feel like a good flowing mid-size turbo with some juice could be an interesting setup...doing some nitrous now is just a little burst of power, and it's also not very common in my part of the woods...

Any thoughts or advice?
Old 06-03-2013, 10:52 PM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Nitrous is great i plan on going with a 100 shot on my built motor LsJ with TVS
Old 06-03-2013, 11:31 PM

dooooo eeeeet !!!!

spray it inside, not outside!

general recommendation is remove 1.5 to 2 degrees timing adance per 50 / over 100 shot. In other words, with a 50 shot you shouldn't have to pull timing, unless your custom tune is agressive as is. Some will go ahead and do it anyway, just for GP's.

I'm a fan of wet shot, but I've installed both ways.

I'm also a fan of electronic helpers-- WOT switch, window switch, fuel pressure safety switch
Old 06-04-2013, 12:23 AM

So with a 35 or 50 wet shot I wouldn't need to pull any timing? Also, how would the boost pressure from the turbo be affected by a 35 shot?

Also, about what Air fuel is target before nitrous, and after it's injected? I usually go WOT around 12.5 at 25psi, but one of my tunes was around low 11's to high 10's, and I believe the weather was a lot cooler, so the boost might be a little less...
Old 06-04-2013, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by wayfarer
dooooo eeeeet !!!!

spray it inside, not outside!

general recommendation is remove 1.5 to 2 degrees timing adance per 50 / over 100 shot. In other words, with a 50 shot you shouldn't have to pull timing, unless your custom tune is agressive as is. Some will go ahead and do it anyway, just for GP's.

I'm a fan of wet shot, but I've installed both ways.

I'm also a fan of electronic helpers-- WOT switch, window switch, fuel pressure safety switch
Definitely hear you on the helpers...The fuel pressure one is a definite must, thought about a hobbs boost switch, but it would defeat the whole purpose of running nitrous to spool it up lol
Old 06-18-2013, 07:13 PM

do your self a favor and get a progressive controller for your kit. will help u hook thru the powerband and u can run a bigger shot safer because u control the shock the motor will see when it is fired. also as many safety features as u can afford lol....
Old 07-04-2013, 12:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tmarter
So there isn't any resource at all on running Nitrous on my Saab, and I feel like there is a little more knowledge and experience with running the juice here...I have an 04 9-3 2.0T running on E85 and 25psi, currently at about 327/395 crank, stock motor and trans. I'm running the Siemens #60's, 3" catless exhaust, FMIC, and other smaller fun stuff...

I was originally looking into the intercooler sprayers, then thought about running a Nitrous FMIC sprayer to supercool the charge, then thought about if it were able to handle a 35 or a 50 shot...I don't have any experience with nitrous yet but i'm researching a ton about how a turbo w/e85, and e85 w/ nitrous, but it's difficult to find a good example that utilize all 3. I Have a boost gauge and wideband, and might find a way to get logworks software working on my laptop to log IAT's, knock count etc...

I have a tune for e85 that was set very rich at first, at WOT it could make it into the mid 10's...I kept getting spark blowout because the mixture was too dense (i'm assuming too much fuel), and thought about uploading it and spraying a shot to lean it out and help spool time, and I feel like the E85 would help reduce the chance of possible knock.

Couple things I'm concerned about are the boost pressure (tune was tested in colder weather, much warmer now, so the boost might not be at 25 if I re-uploaded it), cylinder pressure, stock fuel pump taking a ****, the 5 speed trans not shattering lol, and if I would need to adjust timing on a small shot like that...As you can see i'm just a little overly cautious about running it because of it's notoriety, but it seems like it can work well if the person knows what theyre doing. Also not sure about if a dry shot would be sufficient, or if I would need a wet shot...I'm assuming you can fine tune wet kits to get the perfect mix (??...some info or help/advice there would be great).

I'd like to build the motor and trans over the mid/late summer, and upgrade my turbo and use this car for autoX...I feel like a good flowing mid-size turbo with some juice could be an interesting setup...doing some nitrous now is just a little burst of power, and it's also not very common in my part of the woods...

Any thoughts or advice?
you probably arent on here much but what tuning software did you use? HPT is not available per bill at hpt.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by c130aviator
you probably arent on here much but what tuning software did you use? HPT is not available per bill at hpt.
Ehh, I'm always on a few forums back and forth when I'm working on something...lol not on CSS.net every day though, few times a week.

I have a handheld flasher from JZW Tuning that I use to upload my files...there's no open source or anything for the 4 cyl as the trionic 8 management is a bitch to get around...and I can't switch in between maps on the fly or anything like some of the aftermarket stuff can allow. John @ JZW will send me custom tunes and we'll dial it in by filming my wideband, boost and rpms.

I'd probably only do nitrous if I was going to follow through with a gt3076 setup, as my td04 would take a **** reeeeally quick with nitrous