Pictures & Videos Your pictures, photoshops, and videos.

4x4 Rock Buggy TC 2.4 Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally Posted by patooyee
On the intake between the middle two ports there is a small port that looks to be an oil port? I've removed my intake and blown air through it, it seems to be connected to the intake runners themselves. What is this, what does it do, and do I need to incorporate it into my custom intake manifold?
Thats the pcv orifice.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member

Another thing, I picked up a 2003 L61 2.2 to use as a mock-up engine and to weld my new intake on to prevent warping. (It was totally fucked internally! It appears the timing chain guide broke allowing it to jump some teeth. Each and every rocker arm was completely broken off. Two of them were laying in the bottom of timing chain cover, one is missing. It's probably in the oil pan.) Anyway, the fuel rail that came on my engine is a stainless one with the typical GM-style smooth tube fitting. The one on the 2.2L is a cast aluminum piece with a metric fitting on one end, appears to have much higher internal volume than the SS one on my 2.4. Is there any reason I shouldn't use the 2.2 rail on the 2.4?
You can use it if you want. The lsj rail has much bigger openings for the injectors than my 2.2/2.4 rails had. Im using the lsj because im converting to return style.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowbalt2000
Thats the pcv orifice.
So I guess in stock form it allows the 2.4 to pull a vacuum on the crank case? (And pull in oil vapor as well!) None of the intake builder flanges have it, they all just block it off. And with boost it would pressurize instead of pull vacuum. So I'm guessing that's why they don't have it.

Originally Posted by Slowbalt2000
You can use it if you want. The lsj rail has much bigger openings for the injectors than my 2.2/2.4 rails had. Im using the lsj because im converting to return style.
What openings are you referring to?
Old 12-17-2015, 04:46 PM
Slobodan Milošević

Received 215 Likes on 175 Posts
So I guess in stock form it allows the 2.4 to pull a vacuum on the crank case? (And pull in oil vapor as well!) None of the intake builder flanges have it, they all just block it off. And with boost it would pressurize instead of pull vacuum. So I'm guessing that's why they don't have it.

You need to incorporate a one way check valve to allow vacuum to be pulled, but keep boost pressure out. would be as simple as drilling/tapping an npt fitting into the flange and running a line to the intake manifold (with a check valve in-line). If you were to run an oil air separator, this is the line you would want to plumb it into

And he means the openings in the injector seats/tubes on the rail. The lsj are a wide open transition between the main "log" and the seats, where the 2.2 has a restriction
The following users liked this post:
patooyee (12-23-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member

the openings on the rail where the injectors seat
Old 12-17-2015, 04:50 PM
Platinum Member

you know ive never really thought about this before. but youre right. i am boosting the crank case. oops
Old 12-17-2015, 05:01 PM
Slobodan Milošević

what manifold are you using?
Old 12-17-2015, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by 07blackg5
You need to incorporate a one way check valve to allow vacuum to be pulled, but keep boost pressure out. would be as simple as drilling/tapping an npt fitting into the flange and running a line to the intake manifold (with a check valve in-line). If you were to run an oil air separator, this is the line you would want to plumb it into
Why wouldn't I just incorporate that into the port on the valve cover?

And by you mentioning vacuum at all I assume that means I would want to mount my TB in front of the turbo?
Old 12-17-2015, 05:22 PM
Slobodan Milošević

the port on the valve cover is mainly a "fresh air inlet". Metered air is drawn in post MAF to "replace" the air that is drawn into the manifold through the PCV when under vacuum. this is probably 95+% of the time the car is running. The ports secondary purpose is to vent off blowby pressure from the crankcase when wot. on a healthy engine, you will see little to no oil come out of this port.

What do you mean in front of turbo? it should be between the intake manifold and the turbo
Old 12-17-2015, 11:57 PM

You've mentioned vacuum twice now in relation to a turbo charged engine. I'm just trying to figure out where you're getting vacuum from on an engine where the intake is should almost always have positive pressure.

Also why, if this little PCV orifice in the head is so important, why virtually none of the intake flanges I've seen incorporate it. 100% of them block it off as far as I can tell.

Remember, I'm not trying to pass emissions or anything. As far as I care this thing can leave a trail of glowing green radioactive sludge in its wake everywhere it goes. (That's a joke!) It seems to me that all the engine should need to operate properly is a way to vent positive pressure out of the crank case either to atmosphere or back into the intake and that could easily be done without the intake orifice via the valve cover ...

I'm trying to find some operational description of an LNF PCV system but so far am striking out ...
Old 12-18-2015, 12:09 AM

Just posting this for my own reference, read if you want: Blog - The PCV System

"For turbo or CSC guys you are blowing into the TB, intake and engine. There is no where to get suction from so the PCV is rendered unusable. These guys run a breather for a different reason than LS1 or ZZP full size IC users. For the aftermarket power adders the breather lets air OUT of the crank case. The exact opposite of what M90 guys use it for. When you go under boost the piston rings leak a bit and pressurize the crank case. This air needs to be let out and the breather does just that. The more boost you run, the older your engine is, or the larger piston ring gap you run the more air that needs to come out. Some of these guys will end up needing to use 2 breathers. These are the guys that you see with oil on the valve covers or steam coming out of the breather."
Old 12-18-2015, 12:22 AM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
the pcv system on both the ss/sc and ss/tc work the exact same, air goes from the intake tube between the maf and compressor (turbo or supercharger) into the port on the valve cover. air is drawn through the valve cover to the intake side of the head and through a port and down to the hole between 2 and 3 intake runner. in the manifold there is the pcv valve. the pcv is a check valve, under vacuum it will draw air through, once you hit roughly 0 vacuum the valve closes, and when it boost it wont allow boost into the crankcase.

a turbocharged engine still produces vacuum. in most street engines 97% of the time its under vacuum. now in something like your building its not going to be as important. a pcv does help with ring sealing and does help keep the oil cleaner (blowby is removed from the crankcase before it settles in the oil pan). on my build im not running the factory pcv setup as i have a modded lnf manifold on my 2.2l, the port doesnt line up. the manifold is plugged off. i havent decided if im going to rum a pcv a different way or just leave it off, either way i have a good size catch can and a pair of -12 hoses going to the valve cover.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:47 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
You've mentioned vacuum twice now in relation to a turbo charged engine. I'm just trying to figure out where you're getting vacuum from on an engine where the intake is should almost always have positive pressure.

Also why, if this little PCV orifice in the head is so important, why virtually none of the intake flanges I've seen incorporate it. 100% of them block it off as far as I can tell.

Remember, I'm not trying to pass emissions or anything. As far as I care this thing can leave a trail of glowing green radioactive sludge in its wake everywhere it goes. (That's a joke!) It seems to me that all the engine should need to operate properly is a way to vent positive pressure out of the crank case either to atmosphere or back into the intake and that could easily be done without the intake orifice via the valve cover ...

I'm trying to find some operational description of an LNF PCV system but so far am striking out ...
On the LNF this is the line that comes off the valve cover and connects to the turbine side of the turbo. I think this line is the vacuum side.
Name:  UH6maor.png
Views: 97
Size:  36.4 KB

There is also another line that connects to the intake before the turbo that has a little scoop on it pointing towards the filter element and that hose goes to the valve cover. I believe this line is a fresh air inlet.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:43 PM

Can anyone recommend a BOV? I want one that blows back into the intake. I'm not a huge fan of the hissing noises.

TiAL Sport - TiAL QRJ

Seems like that's about the only one that ever turns up in searches.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member

Tial makes a very high quality product.

I know there are others like the ssqv that have adapters for recirc.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
click
Old 12-18-2015, 02:35 PM

There's actually quite a few options for recirculation bypass valves. As Slowbalt mentioned the HKS SSQV does have a fitting you can purchase to make it recirculate instead of VTA.

The Hahn turbo kit for the 2.2 and 2.4 comes with one similar to this guy, and with you having a rock buggy I would imagine you want something simple that's pretty weather resistant and isn't a pain to clean off.
Amazon Amazon

Old 12-18-2015, 11:55 PM

i myself like turbosmart stuff, however ive used tial before with no issues.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Axelthered05
click
Was the supposed to be a link there or something? I don't get it...
Old 12-19-2015, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by YelloEye
There's actually quite a few options for recirculation bypass valves. As Slowbalt mentioned the HKS SSQV does have a fitting you can purchase to make it recirculate instead of VTA.

The Hahn turbo kit for the 2.2 and 2.4 comes with one similar to this guy, and with you having a rock buggy I would imagine you want something simple that's pretty weather resistant and isn't a pain to clean off. Amazon

Why is that so much cheaper than everything else?
Old 12-19-2015, 02:12 AM

its likely cheap offshore crap.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:37 PM

Why is that so much cheaper than everything else?
It's probably a plastic body. You can pay more if you want, might get better quality. But if you're running this with the Gen2 2.4 block this is all you're really going to need for normal power levels.
Sorry that was the BPV included with the Garrett Turbo GT kit for the 2.2.
http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=COB

Last edited by YelloEye; 12-19-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sub'd
Old 12-19-2015, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by YelloEye
It's probably a plastic body. You can pay more if you want, might get better quality. But if you're running this with the Gen2 2.4 block this is all you're really going to need for normal power levels.
Sorry that was the BPV included with the Garrett Turbo GT kit for the 2.2.
NO STOCK AVAILABLE - Chevy Cobalt Garrett® Turbo GT TunerTurbo Kit for 2005+ 2.2L Ecotec Engine : atpturbo.com
those ones are all over ebay. they claim they are an aluminum body with changeable springs. my guess is it wouldnt take much time before it started leaking.

one of the plastic body vw/audi bypass valves would be fine for a budget bypass valve. id say it would be more reliable than the ebay aluminum one.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sharkey
those ones are all over ebay. they claim they are an aluminum body with changeable springs. my guess is it wouldnt take much time before it started leaking.

one of the plastic body vw/audi bypass valves would be fine for a budget bypass valve. id say it would be more reliable than the ebay aluminum one.
Agreed, I just happened across that one for cheap and tossed it out there as an option. An OEM bypass valve for a VAG car would work fine. Found this guy for a decent price.
https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...lve/ES2804306/

Quick Reply: 4x4 Rock Buggy TC 2.4 Build