Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

'06 Cobalt problems, RPMs shooting up, have to force to go past 20!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 Cobalt problems, RPMs shooting up, have to force to go past 20!

Okay, here is what happens(also, sorry if this is in the wrong location)

I have a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS, no idea of the 2.2L or whatever they are.. anyway -

When driving you really have to "make it" go past 20, it staggers and is very loud and the RPMs shoot up. Also, when you first turn the vehicle on, you have to almost force the gearshift to get out of park. It's not TERRIBLY hard to do, but I can tell there is resistance. The transmission fluid hasn't been changed in about 100,000 miles, it was a victim of a flood, and the transmission was rebuilt. Could it be that the fluid is really dirty causing the above problems? Also, could it be.. spark plugs?

I'm not good with vehicles, unfortunately. Thanks so much for the help!
Old 07-22-2014, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
Check if there is any tranny fluid in there. And change the fluid if there is. Spark plugs would have nothing to do with this, this is tranny related. I know when my buddy's car ran out of fluid due to a leak when he turned the tranny kicked out of gear. Check fluid and change is ur first step. Get it flushed
Old 07-22-2014, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by tomj77
Check if there is any tranny fluid in there. And change the fluid if there is. Spark plugs would have nothing to do with this, this is tranny related. I know when my buddy's car ran out of fluid due to a leak when he turned the tranny kicked out of gear. Check fluid and change is ur first step. Get it flushed

Will that cause the above described problems? The tranny fluid being dirty? Would there really be none in there at that point?
Old 07-22-2014, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

There is only one way to find out, it's an auto yes? It should have a dipstick, if it's one of those ones without, pull the pan and see. It could have a leak, so anything is possible. That's first thing I'd check, cause that's the easiest and most likely suspect. Get that out of the way and go from there .
Old 07-22-2014, 09:03 PM

There is only one way to find out, it's an auto yes? It should have a dipstick, if it's one of those ones without, pull the pan and see. It could have a leak, so anything is possible. That's first thing I'd check, cause that's the easiest and most likely suspect. Get that out of the way and go from there .

There is no dipstick in my 2006 cobalt.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:09 PM

I'm wondering:

Could it be something more than the transmission fluid? I've been reading, and it could be air intake too, right? Somethng to do with that? How could it NOT be spark plugs? How it it that it's JUST tranny related? That doesn't make sense to me. The RPMs SHOOT UP, and the car acts like it doesn't wanna go past 20! (although, it will, you have to force it, then the car is loud, rpms shoot up etc)
Old 07-23-2014, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

The forcing the gearshift tells me it's something tranny related, spark plugs or air intake wouldn't make it hard to change gears.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:02 PM

The forcing the gearshift tells me it's something tranny related, spark plugs or air intake wouldn't make it hard to change gears.

The RPMs shooting up? The car being sluggish, acting like it's a chore to go past 20, plus it's noisy when doing that too?
Old 07-23-2014, 02:10 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Forcing the shift and rpms shooting up screams transmission problems. Ignition related problems usually prevent reving, and will cause a limp mode. Your transmission is probably done for, don't flush an automatic transmission that hasn't had regular flushes and fluid changes.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
Forcing the shift and rpms shooting up screams transmission problems. Ignition related problems usually prevent reving, and will cause a limp mode. Your transmission is probably done for, don't flush an automatic transmission that hasn't had regular flushes and fluid changes.

This is where I'm confused. Firstly, how much would a new tranny cost me? Total. Also, don't flush it... so I should just ADD tranny fluid? Would that solve the above problems? Why should I not flush it and get new fluids? To me, it sounds like it's doing all of that because the oil is really dirty, the hard to shift would be low lubrication or something right?

Like I said, I don't know anything about cars, but to just say it's probably done for? I doubt it! That's just giving up. Why would I not want to get it flushed?

I just have two different people telling me to do 2 different things. Which is it? Why would one person tell me get it flushed it'll be fine, then the other, don't even bother its done for.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:53 PM

Well in an automatic car I owned prior to my cobalt I had the transmission flushed at 100k miles previous owner never flushed it. Transmission failed in 2k after the flush because a chunk of slime plugged a port that needed fluid.

I have no idea what a new auto trans for these cars cost. Drain and fill is usually the best bet it wont release any large chunks. If you don't have fluid you won't have pressure to operate the transmission internals, also without fluid you have little lubrication therefore destroying the internals.

Saying its done for is a realistic guess given the information you've provided repairing an automatic generally costs more than a new rebuilt transmission, take it to a transmission shop and have them check it out since there is no dip stick for an easy look at fluid level.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:03 PM

Well in an automatic car I owned prior to my cobalt I had the transmission flushed at 100k miles previous owner never flushed it. Transmission failed in 2k after the flush because a chunk of slime plugged a port that needed fluid.

I have no idea what a new auto trans for these cars cost. Drain and fill is usually the best bet it wont release any large chunks. If you don't have fluid you won't have pressure to operate the transmission internals, also without fluid you have little lubrication therefore destroying the internals.

Saying its done for is a realistic guess given the information you've provided repairing an automatic generally costs more than a new rebuilt transmission, take it to a transmission shop and have them check it out since there is no dip stick for an easy look at fluid level.

Could it not be O2 Sensor?
Old 07-23-2014, 11:17 PM

An o2 sensor being bad will not cause it to be difficult to put in gear. Also it would throw a check engine light. Which if yours in illuminated get the codes pulled and it will tell you more than people trying to guess off the little info you've provided.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:33 PM

An o2 sensor being bad will not cause it to be difficult to put in gear. Also it would throw a check engine light. Which if yours in illuminated get the codes pulled and it will tell you more than people trying to guess off the little info you've provided.

I've told you all the information that I know. 2006 cobalt, the problems is that after driving a lot, the gear shift is a LITTLE difficult to move, which really isn't a problem at all. Apparently, the only time it is really hard at all is when on a hill. A slight one.

Also, the car is sluggish. Sometimes you can really hear is struggling to get past 20 MPH and the RPMs shoot up. I don't know what litre it is, and I don't know much else. We recently had the MAP? MAF? Sensor replaced which solved the problem of the car turning off when at a stop or red light.

So, could the tranny really be going bad? I'm going to take it soon for a check up - But, apparently before we owned it; every time the oil was changed the tranny fluid was also checked. So, with that being said - If it was filled up and had no signs of damage ----

What could be causing it???
Old 07-24-2014, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

If ur rpms are shooting up and ur car isn't picking up speed it's ur tranny. In a standard car it would be most likely a clutch failing. Idk why u keep mentioning if it's o2 or what not when it's obviously a tranny issue. Either listen to our advice and get ur tranny checked out or stop trolling. Cause I'm starting to think thats what's happening here. If u honestly think that an o2 or intake or spark plug issues are causing these symptoms, don't touch ur car, take it to a garage cause u will probably do more harm.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:06 AM

If ur rpms are shooting up and ur car isn't picking up speed it's ur tranny. In a standard car it would be most likely a clutch failing. Idk why u keep mentioning if it's o2 or what not when it's obviously a tranny issue. Either listen to our advice and get ur tranny checked out or stop trolling. Cause I'm starting to think thats what's happening here. If u honestly think that an o2 or intake or spark plug issues are causing these symptoms, don't touch ur car, take it to a garage cause u will probably do more harm.

I'm not trolling, I just feel like it could be something other than the tranny. But, I'll go get it checked out.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:40 AM

Received 140 Likes on 120 Posts
definitely seems to be tranny related with what your saying man. take the advice that's been giving. these guys on here wouldn't just tell you something, guys on here are very informative and have not only helped me but helped a lot of other people out too. so to say your car is sluggish and the revs are all over the place an intake, plugs, or 02 sensor will not cause whats happening to your car. plugs you'll have misfires and a sensor you'll throw a code. take it to a shop and have them check out the tranny simple as that
Old 07-24-2014, 11:42 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidM92
I'm not trolling, I just feel like it could be something other than the tranny. But, I'll go get it checked out.
Ok just calm down. Hard to put in gear = Trans. RPM's shooting up = I'd guess slipping trans.

First things first. Check the fluid level. Could be over filled or under filled. I believe you start the car and go through the gears, then put back in park before checking level.

I'd suggest draining the fluid and refilling. If you are unsure how to do that, then take it to a dealer and tell them to drain and refill.

Do not go throwing parts like intake, spark plugs, 02 sensor. They are likely not at all related.

Take your time and be thorough with what you are doing.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
Ok just calm down. Hard to put in gear = Trans. RPM's shooting up = I'd guess slipping trans.

First things first. Check the fluid level. Could be over filled or under filled. I believe you start the car and go through the gears, then put back in park before checking level.

I'd suggest draining the fluid and refilling. If you are unsure how to do that, then take it to a dealer and tell them to drain and refill.

Do not go throwing parts like intake, spark plugs, 02 sensor. They are likely not at all related.

Take your time and be thorough with what you are doing.

Sensor related, about 5-7 months ago the car would idle and turn off at stop and red lights. Had the MAP sensor replaced which fixed that. Few months later, it started acting up again, not turning off, but acting sluggish and RPMs shooting up.

I just called a guy who has 15+ years of experience repairing cars and he said, "100% I can guarantee it's not the transmission", but then I have you guys telling me it is - It's just very confusing. I'm gonna check the fluid level -

How do I check to see if there are any debris/burning smell in the old tranny oil? Could dirty oil that hasn't been changed in some 80k+ miles be the cause of these problems?

I'm sorry for seeming unappreciative, I am VERY appreciative, it's just confusing when I have 2-3+ people on here telling me on thing, and then others here telling me other stuff. I'm at a loss. It's just annoying, we'll be driving, at a red light, got to really force it to go past 20, and when you are, the RPMs shoot up!

Ever since we've got the car, we've put new tires, MAP sensor, got brake work done, regular oil changes.. We thought getting a full oil change would fix it - Nope! Heh.

So, my first step would be to check the tranny fluid, yes? How do I go about doing that, and seeing if there are any debris? How do I check to see if there are any debris/burning smell in the old tranny oil? Could dirty oil that hasn't been changed in some 80k+ miles be the cause of these problems?

EDIT: Perhaps the GM dealer had the check engine light turned off? When the car is put in run and all the code things appear, the check engine light is the only one that stays on, but goes off when you fully power the car on. I'll get my dad to take a look at that - He has a diagnostic tool.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

I think ur in bad tranny denial . Just get it checked and go from there, there is no point sitting here trying to figure out what it could all be if u don't eliminate the most likely suspect first. Get ur tranny fluid changed, and if still does it, get the tranny checked, if that's ok then come back and we will go from there.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:05 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
The check engine light should illuminate at start, but shot off once running.

No way in hell the GM dealer would turn it off. That's a federal crime.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Dude is obviously trolling...
Old 07-24-2014, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by bubba_jay
Dude is obviously trolling...

No, I'm not trolling. I'm on the verge of a panic attack considering the only car I own is about to die, and I can't shell out $2,000 + to fix the damn thing. So, yes, I'm going to be speculating a lot and asking questions that I think could be an "easy fix". If you don't have anything informative to say, don't say anything at all.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:05 PM

Still unclear as to what you mean by really force it to get to 20mph and the rpms jumping. Take a video of it if you can and post it to youtube then link the video here. Videos are worth about 100 explanation posts so everyone is on the same page as far was whats going on.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:53 PM

Still unclear as to what you mean by really force it to get to 20mph and the rpms jumping. Take a video of it if you can and post it to youtube then link the video here. Videos are worth about 100 explanation posts so everyone is on the same page as far was whats going on.

It'll be shitty cell phone quality - But I will do that!

Although, to try to explain it better before I do:

You start the car, put it in reverse, reverse out of the parking lot and onto Dixie Highway -- Once you do that, you're at a red light, having to brake constantly because of traffic. (youtube Dixie Hwy in 40258 area code, you'll understand), you put on the gas and as you're going from 0-20+ the car acts like it just does NOT want to go past that. It's loud in comparison to other cars, and it even go so far as to jerk every once in a while. The RPMs will also shoot so far up to past the "4" mark. That's just to get it to go.

Will upload video soon.

Quick Reply: '06 Cobalt problems, RPMs shooting up, have to force to go past 20!