Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

2006 timing chain, how to check

Old 02-08-2017, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 timing chain, how to check

Is there a quick way to 'see' if the timing chain broke, 2.2 engine. 135000 miles burned oil for a long time.

Ran like crap stalled out, towed home, multiple CEL codes.

Now seems like no compression at all.
I see the serpentine belt rotates as starter spins.
Seems to crank really fast and no ignition related sounds (no backfire or anything)

Without pulling the valve cover, is there any thing I can look at?
I do not see much inside with oil filler cap removed.

Also made scary noises before dying completely.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:01 PM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
No, you need to pull the valve cover Or pull the front cover to see if the timing chain broke. more than likely it sounds like it either snapped or the timing chain tensioner failed and you bent some valves.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:13 PM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Valve cover is really easy to take off. Unplug and remove ignition module. Disconnect the breather hose. Remove all the valve cover bolts as well as the ground strap bolt that grounds the valve cover to the head and you are there.

But like leemanfor said with the lack of compression combined with the noises it sounds like some valves got personal with your pistons. But as it is most likely fubared anyway you may as well take the valve cover off and assess the damage.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:21 AM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
You can also pull the 10mm plug in the front of the head, above the belt area. It covers the upper timing chain guide bolt, I've seen when the chain breaks it takes out the guide and everything, if you popped the allen and see the chain loose or no guide left, you know it's new engine time.

if it bent all the valves, it's cheaper to put a good used engine in than repair that one, just be sure to put a new timing kit in the used engine while it's out.

Search this Thread