Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

2009 ss/tc

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 03:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2009 ss/tc

Hey Guys, I have a newish problem I've been trying to figure out, but no luck.

When the car sits for a while, It's slow to start, It will fire up first key turn but very "Slowly" like a slow crank, if you know what i mean.

But once it's warmed up i can turn it off and on and it will fire right up quickly.

It's an electrical gremlin i know that much, I have an aftermarket boost gauge in the car, which changes colour. I keep it set to red, and whenever this happens it resets to default blue, Indicating the car has lost memory power. I've checked the battery with a multimeter after it sitting for 6 hours and it reads 12.10.

I'm really stumped.

Help?
Old 10-21-2016, 03:52 PM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally Posted by CannonBalt
Hey Guys, I have a newish problem I've been trying to figure out, but no luck.

When the car sits for a while, It's slow to start, It will fire up first key turn but very "Slowly" like a slow crank, if you know what i mean.

But once it's warmed up i can turn it off and on and it will fire right up quickly.

It's an electrical gremlin i know that much, I have an aftermarket boost gauge in the car, which changes colour. I keep it set to red, and whenever this happens it resets to default blue, Indicating the car has lost memory power. I've checked the battery with a multimeter after it sitting for 6 hours and it reads 12.10.

I'm really stumped.

Help?
Who wired in your aftermarket boost gauge? If something has a memory there is typically a hot wire that goes to the device that never shuts off. The only way it would would happen on crank is if it lost juice for long enough to "forget".

Does it turn over lots of times or just turn over slowly? You may just have a weak battery or a bad connection. You can't check a batteries strength just by measuring voltage with no load. You need to observe the voltage WHILE cranking or turning over the engine.
The following users liked this post:
CannonBalt (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
Who wired in your aftermarket boost gauge? If something has a memory there is typically a hot wire that goes to the device that never shuts off. The only way it would would happen on crank is if it lost juice for long enough to "forget".

Does it turn over lots of times or just turn over slowly? You may just have a weak battery or a bad connection. You can't check a batteries strength just by measuring voltage with no load. You need to observe the voltage WHILE cranking or turning over the engine.
I installed the gauge myself. I wired the accessory to the accessory wire from the factory boost gauge, Ground is self explanatory and i wired the "Hot" wire" to a constant fuse in the panel.

It turns over the regular 2-3 times then fires, just VERY slowly. I just bought the yellow top in march, But i'm not sure what they're rated for cold cranking amps. I've checked all my connections and cleaned them, and made sure they're secure. I'm going to swap my battery out for the girlfriends tomorrow and see if that solves the problem.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:17 PM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
I bet your battery is about to die
Old 10-21-2016, 05:31 PM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally Posted by CannonBalt
I installed the gauge myself. I wired the accessory to the accessory wire from the factory boost gauge, Ground is self explanatory and i wired the "Hot" wire" to a constant fuse in the panel.

It turns over the regular 2-3 times then fires, just VERY slowly. I just bought the yellow top in march, But i'm not sure what they're rated for cold cranking amps. I've checked all my connections and cleaned them, and made sure they're secure. I'm going to swap my battery out for the girlfriends tomorrow and see if that solves the problem.
How cold is it up there right now?

I would think the place you bought your battery from would be willing to test it for you and if it is bad I would think it would still be under warranty. I wouldn't think it could be your alternator or anything because your battery should be flat by now if it isn't charging at all. But I suppose there is small chance that your alternator could be working just good enough to keep up with the electrical requirements of your car and not charging the battery.

Either way the first thing I would do is get that battery properly tested.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
How cold is it up there right now?

I would think the place you bought your battery from would be willing to test it for you and if it is bad I would think it would still be under warranty. I wouldn't think it could be your alternator or anything because your battery should be flat by now if it isn't charging at all. But I suppose there is small chance that your alternator could be working just good enough to keep up with the electrical requirements of your car and not charging the battery.

Either way the first thing I would do is get that battery properly tested.
It's about 2C/35F right now. I bought it from a battery place 3 hours from here lol. I'll get it tested locally and go from there. Either way i picked up a battery tonight and it fired up fine.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:37 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Starter can be dragging check battery's first
Old 10-22-2016, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
Sounds like ur battery is not in the best shape. Put it on a charger till full then try. If it works good then slowly gets bad again, get a new one.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:30 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
id bet when the car sat it killed the battery. optima batteries used to be a good choice, unfortunately they arent what they used to be. if they are on a maintainer when in storage they will last, but if not they generally get depleted. the battery is showing an alright surface charge, however i bet if you watch the multitimeter when trying to crank it it will go bellow 10 volts.

when you know its going to have the issue, watch the meter while someone cranks, see what it does. aside from that, you could try jump starting it when you know itll do it, see if it will crank over faster.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by tomj77
Sounds like ur battery is not in the best shape. Put it on a charger till full then try. If it works good then slowly gets bad again, get a new one.
I posted above that i already got a new one lol.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sharkey
id bet when the car sat it killed the battery. optima batteries used to be a good choice, unfortunately they arent what they used to be. if they are on a maintainer when in storage they will last, but if not they generally get depleted. the battery is showing an alright surface charge, however i bet if you watch the multitimeter when trying to crank it it will go bellow 10 volts.

when you know its going to have the issue, watch the meter while someone cranks, see what it does. aside from that, you could try jump starting it when you know itll do it, see if it will crank over faster.
I tossed the yellow top. I had a LOT of power on it with my old stereo, i got a new battery last night. I watched the multimeter while cranking it dropped to 7.4V, when it should not drop passed 9.6V.