Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Aftermarket radio problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aftermarket radio problems

Need help with installing a radio.

So I got the harness wired up. Plugged in. Antenna plugged in. Nothing. Turn the car on, still nothing.

Tried holding the constant power wire to the applicable one on the harness and it powered up and started playing a cd. So I know all the speaker wires are right.

I tried going into the 10amp radio fuse. No power still. Going into the airbag fuse. Nothing. Going to the 12v ciggarette lighter power wire. Nothing.

I tried using both the signal and constant wires on every option listed above and still nothing works.

Worked my brain hard trying to figure it out. Need someone else to do the thinking for me because at this rate I'll be soldering my eyes shut

This is in a 2005 Ion 1 but the radio harness is identical to that of a cobalt
Old 02-17-2017, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
Well first check if all the fuses u checked with have power, and check if ur on the proper side of the fuse as one will have power and the other won't with fuse unplugged. If that's all good, make sure ur constant power is hooked up as well as the acc power. And maybe take a pic of what exactly ur doing with the wires so we can understand better
Old 02-19-2017, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by tomj77
Well first check if all the fuses u checked with have power, and check if ur on the proper side of the fuse as one will have power and the other won't with fuse unplugged. If that's all good, make sure ur constant power is hooked up as well as the acc power. And maybe take a pic of what exactly ur doing with the wires so we can understand better

I got it the day after posting this. I woke up that morning and it clicked that I should've had the constant power and acc power hooked up. I just ran the acc power into the live wire on the 12v ciggarette lighter by the ebrake
Old 02-19-2017, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by COBALTace
I got it the day after posting this. I woke up that morning and it clicked that I should've had the constant power and acc power hooked up. I just ran the acc power into the live wire on the 12v ciggarette lighter by the ebrake
ur supposed to have both hooked up though. constant power is how it retains the memory for stored stations and such. there is no way it shouldn't work with constant power and acc power hooked up at the same time. unless ur putting both constant and acc onto an acc circuit. id use an empty slot on the bcm fuse box if I was u, there are a few of them.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:48 PM

ur supposed to have both hooked up though. constant power is how it retains the memory for stored stations and such. there is no way it shouldn't work with constant power and acc power hooked up at the same time. unless ur putting both constant and acc onto an acc circuit. id use an empty slot on the bcm fuse box if I was u, there are a few of them.
I just ran the acc wire to cig lighter. I have to turn it on and off whenever I get in/out of the car but none of the fuses would supply power when I tried. I used the radio fuse, on star (even though I don't have it), sunroof (ditto), airbags, I tried it all. Both sides of the fuse and still nothing. I'm fine with having to turn it on and off if I that's he only way by it is a bit of a pain
Old 02-20-2017, 02:03 PM

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts
ur supposed to have both hooked up though. constant power is how it retains the memory for stored stations and such.
Interesting. I have that issue in my truck, but it can't find radio stations unless I unplug the whole thing and plug it back in.