Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

All Around Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All Around Brakes

Been awhile since I've been on here, glad to see people are still enjoying the balts just like me.

Ill make this long story short, noticed my rear brakes had been sticking over the past couple weeks. I am in New Jersey for work and will be here for the next 6 months. Took it to a little shop around the corner to get looked at, well caliper was stuck like i thought but the guy said i needed pads, rotors all around. So for pads, rotors, calipers, lines, fluids and labor price comes to just over 1k?! Does this sound right? Never had to take it to a shop for brakes before..
Old 02-14-2017, 11:37 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I'd get a second opinion.

Not saying its unheard of, but I think its highly unlikely that you need EVERYTHING in the braking system overhauled. I have done a lot of break jobs, and I've never had to do an overhaul like that.
You just listed off every part short of a master cylinder.

My 91 cutty has been sitting since 2012 and I doubt it needs all that!

If its just pads and rotors all around that's not so hard to believe, but 4 calipers and all the lines too? Like I say, I'd be getting a 2nd opinion.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:58 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
How do your rotors look all around? are they all marred up? I guess what I'm saying is take a look at the front brakes. If the pads and rotors have good life left in them, then I'd focus on the rears first since that's where the problem is. Pads and rotors are easy enough to change out by yourself, if you want to save on labor costs, but if you feel uncomfortable changing out calipers, then just have that done. But what MuNky said, it can't hurt to get a 2nd opinion.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WICobaltSS
How do your rotors look all around? are they all marred up? I guess what I'm saying is take a look at the front brakes. If the pads and rotors have good life left in them, then I'd ocus on the rears first since that's where the problem is. Pads and rotors are easy enough to change out by yourself, if you want to save on labor costs, but if you feel uncomfortable changing out calipers, then just have that done. But what MuNky said, it can't hurt to get a 2nd opinion.
I would for sure say they need changed, normally I would do all this myself but being out of town and no tools or place to work on it i really have no choice but to let someone else do it.

Not really sure why he said the lines too, but I guess my real question is if all that really needed replaced would a grand sound about right for price?
Old 02-14-2017, 01:37 PM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Parts and labour sounds like it's pretty close.

All OEM parts?
Old 02-14-2017, 02:35 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
So if it's rotors, pads, and lines all the way around, plus the rear two calipers and fluid to refill. That sounds about right assuming they're using OEM or OEM replacement parts.

If they say they are replacing the brembos along with everything else they like have the wrong parts info on your car.