Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

bad throttle position sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry bad throttle position sensor?

hey guys, well my car is having some major issues right now. ever since i installed my zzp stage 3 kit, my car has idled like junk. the afr is all over the map. so here last weekend i took my maf sensor out and cleaned it and took my throttle body off to clean it too. i never unpluged my throttle body though, just removed the 4 bolts holding it on the supercharger and cleaned it that way. well as soon as i got done and started my car it went into limp mode. (engine power reduced) i havent been able to get it out. ive drove the car all last week to work hoping that it would go away. i have used a code scanner and deleted the codes but still no luck. it has 2 codes stored, one is p0223 i think and the other one was p213x something. i cant quite remember. looked them up and both of them have to do with the throttle position. something about current overload or something. ive tried unplugging the battery, computer, and power wire to the underhood fuse panel and leaving them off for a few days. no luck. anyone know how to fix this without having to replace the throttle body? cuz if not, thats going to be my next step. any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:21 PM

I had a little bit of an issue with my idle after install and it was due to me have an aftermarket intake on the car. The fuel trims were of I put the stock intake back on and no problems since. I will put it back on when I'm able to tune for it. Make sure everything is reconnected and disconnect the batter for about 15 minutes and allow the pcm to reset. then reconnect and see if you still have the same issue.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:24 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
What did you clean it with?

Tried unplugging the Throttle body sensor and plugging it back in? Might be loose. Check wiring from TPS back to PCM.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:31 PM

Ive unplugged and plugged all the connections a couple times. I traced the wires to make sure none were broken. I cleaned the maf with maf cleaner and the throttle body cleaner. I really don't know what it could be. It's very frustrating though.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:35 PM

im having the same engine power reduced fault problem..i have no idea whats wrong considering my car only has zzp mid length headers and gmstg2.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My 2.2L had this problem. Bad TPS is indeed what it was. New TB is the cure.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:25 PM

You CANNOT spray clean your throttle body guys. In some cases it'll turn out fine. But there is no seal between the electrical contacts and the inside of the throttle body, What happens is contamination liquefies and works it's way into the sensor, where it then dries and skews the readings. There are actually TWO sensors, both with different values, so that way it calibrates your throttle by wire, the same is true for your gas pedal. Neither should EVER be cleaned. Quite simply, if the TB is exceptionalyl dirty spray cleaner on a rag and wipe it out, do NOT use spray directly on the TB.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:05 PM

not to bring uyp dead topics but i just had this problem, this was the first link on google, so ill post on it,

the car was throwing a code for a TPS, I tried unplugging and re plugging the one pn the foot petal with no luck, so i took my TB off, and cleaned some of the gunk out with a rag (didnt have carb cleaner at the time) threw only 2 codes all day, next 2 days it got worse to where giving it gas wouldnt even make it go, and it was misfiring BAD, so thinking my tb was garbage, i frantically looked for a cheaqp one, expecting not to drive my car for at least a week

if somethings garbage, who cares what happens to it,, so i took it back off and cleaned it in simple green water, YES, I SUBMERGED IT, if its broke, its broke , might as well try after that i sprayed carb cleaner into everything, electrical plug and all thru the TB , let it dry, bolted it up, unplugged battery for 10 minutes

the outcome was no more choppy idol no more reduced power, no more codes i beat the car hard for a few minutes and brought it back hot, its cooling down now so ill see what it does once its cold again, if it works good, if not ill be looking for a fix again