Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

bogging problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bogging problem

Since know one answered in my other post, ill try here.
heres the run down.
my car was put down for 3 weeks to install,
new intercooler pump/dual pass endplate/option b
poly filled motormounts
ported blower
buttoned everything up on saturday evening. the first two times it fired, it fired right into limp mode. No clue why. let car sit, third attempt, car stumbled a bit, but ran.
let it warm up to operating temperature, and then took it out. noticed the car would sputter and spit above 3k to 4k. We figured it was because it was relearning the new fuel trim. so next day (today) i start it up, and it struggles, fires, i let it warm up again, and drive it out. again with the sputtering and bogging. its gets so bad the car will refuse to go above 3200rpms. almost as if it acts like a fuel cutoff. It gets so bad in fact that while its bogging the blower is still spinning and the engine isnt doing anything else but holding at 3200rpm. We noticed thru hptuners that we see the o2 readings (no wideband here at te moment, sorry) fluctuate heavily, and actually spike down into the double sometimes even the single digits. This is the same tune ive ran forever, so i know its not tune related. Me and another cobalt member were discussing it may be a sensor problem. but what sensor would cause the injectors to shut down like that? or does anyone else have any bright ideas as to what it may be? or has this hapened to anyone? car is an 04redline wirth 66k on the clock power mods are
60s
full 2.5 magnaflow
intake
and ported blower
i will be enclosing 2 log files from earlier tonight that shows the issue in clear sight. PLEASE HELP ME FIX MY CAR!!!!!
Shaun

as promised here are my log files
http://www.4shared.com/file/17662176...s_station.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/17662175...rive_home.html

Last edited by shaunmcdee; 06-11-2007 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Added my log files to help with troubleshooting
Old 06-11-2007, 01:57 AM

just shooting ideas but did your tune get wiped out some how? i kno i sound like idiot
Old 06-11-2007, 02:03 AM

You dont sound like an idiot at all, i re-tuned the car just to make sure that wasnt the case
Im serious guys, all help, any ideas, i cant be the only guy to have this issue.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:17 AM

could you possibly be flooding the engine with too much gas? maybe a spark plug problem..
i really dont know what to think
good luck man
Old 06-11-2007, 02:25 AM

Ya man, we cant figure it out either, i dunno if its too much fuel, like i said, its the same tune ive been using the whole time, and car was loving it.
Plus the problem only seems to happen at 3200 rpms, just one of those tough fuggers to solve.
although another member said it might be the SCIP sensor (on top of the blower) or maybe the throttle body, he saw the logs and immidiately thought tps problem. But anyone else have any ideas?
thanks for the encouragment man!
Shaun
Old 06-11-2007, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe damaged one of the O2 sensor wires(pinched ) while doing the mounts.
The car runs a looped program Im pretty sure on start up until the O2 sensors heat up.
Knock something loose ,Vaccum hose or something.
If its flooding it wont take very long to do in the Cat.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:26 PM

This is Shaun's Roommate and I've been working with him on this.

This is definately not a flooding problem. The best way I can describe it is as a fuel cut off issue.

What is happening is once the RPMs reach 3K or greater AND throttle is being applied the engine is acting like it's injectors are getting turned off...just like you would for a top speed govenor. Once the RPMs drop below 3K the injectors will come back on. Also, if you downshift and let the revs go above 3K, the engine acts normal and you can hear it running. If you try and give it gas though above the 3K mark you can hear the blower but the engine sounds like it's not firing. (Litterally, take your car up to about 4K and then shut off the key. You'll hear the blower whine but that's about it. That's what this sounds like.)

No missfires are being reported by the ECM, checked that. Also, O2s drop real lean when the engine hits that 3K number further leading me to believe it is a matter of the injectors getting turned off. And when I say the O2s are low, we're talking double and single digits low!

Not only that, but it is an intermittant issue. Last night I drove the car. First, it would stumble at the 3k mark but recover and then allow me to continue to accelerate as normal. This is after a warm start. I then stop and get gas. After I leave the gas station the car is acting fine...no more stutter. Then, about 5 minutes into the drive, it starts this fuel injector cutoff thing at about 3k. I keep wanting to say torque management or limp mode but I don't know if we can scan to see if it is in limp mode or not.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:42 AM

Well, we narrowed it down last night to something to do with the MAP. We changed out the MAP with two others and the problem still persisted but when we disconnected the MAP the car ran fine. So either it's something funky in the tune or there is something ine the wiring loom that is causing the problem.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was going to ask if you modified the tune for the ported blower...

That'll throw things outta whack easily. I would check your tune. Did you try and get a data log while you were driving it and having the accel issues?
Old 06-12-2007, 01:27 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I spoke with him the other day. I think something with the porting on the blower is throwing the senors off. can you send me a pic of the inlet of the s/c there are a few readings including the scip that come off there.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:41 PM

The scan is posted above and is called "drive home" or something and that is the scan where you can actually see the issue. It's past the half way part on the scan but when you see the TPS value jumping up and down about 5 or 6 times that's where it starts.

I don't know where he posted pictures of the ported blower but I know he took some. I'll be sure to have him post them again here. I tend to agree that it is something in the tune that's throwing this off. However, he did put a stock blower back on last night and had the same problems. I wonder though if that wasn't because the tune had "learned" the ported blower or something.

I went through the tune last night (and granted, I'm VERY ignorant on tuning in general and even more so when it comes to the Cobalt/Ions with the LSJ) and nothing jumped out at me but anything I might want to look for?

Thanks for your input guys.

I'm going to guess that once I reach a certain level I can edit posts...LOL

Anyway, one more thing. To my knowledge the tune did not change with the ported blower. On our Grand Prix's very little is affected by going to a ported blower senser wise. I'm guessing your ECMs are affected much more than ours would be by this modification?

Last edited by Robotech; 06-12-2007 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-12-2007, 02:46 PM

Yes, we have multiple sensors that would be effected depending on what was done when the blower was ported. Most notable, which 06blackg85ss already pointed out, was the SCIP (S/C inlet pressure sensor). That could definately explain idle issues...
Old 06-12-2007, 03:06 PM

Let me find the Pics to the ported blower, its a member on these forums whos done several members other blowers so i dont know if it will be the blowers fault, but ill also upload the tune im useing as well so u all can get the idea
here are the pics, mine looks exactly like this

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/forced-induction-50/port-polished-my-blower-56k-beware-56105/

and give me a few minutes to upload the tune

http://www.4shared.com/file/17768725...JAGUAR_60.html

Last edited by shaunmcdee; 06-12-2007 at 03:27 PM. Reason: added link
Old 06-12-2007, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by tREBs
could you possibly be flooding the engine with too much gas? maybe a spark plug problem..
i really dont know what to think
good luck man
mine was bogging.. i swapped my plugs to the NGK iridiums from ZZP and it's been smooth sailing since..

this might not be the problem, but its an inexpensive place to start..

at the very least pull one of the plugs an inspect it

Originally Posted by shaunmcdee
Let me find the Pics to the ported blower, its a member on these forums whos done several members other blowers so i dont know if it will be the blowers fault, but ill also upload the tune im useing as well so u all can get the idea
here are the pics, mine looks exactly like this
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56105
and give me a few minutes to upload the tune
mine is ported (mildly).. i don't think thats it, but if you've removed alot of material, i suppose it could be. did the problem start when you reinstalled the freshly ported blower?

Originally Posted by Robotech
I'm going to guess that once I reach a certain level I can edit posts...LOL
that is correct

Last edited by chevysalesman614; 06-12-2007 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-12-2007, 03:33 PM

Yes the problem arose when the new blower was installed but last night. I had another redline buddy of mine come down and started swapping sensors and what not. Then we decided to swap blowers as well, and the car was still reacting to it the same way. so im not too convinced its the blower.
Ive already inspected my plugs, all looks well.
theye are 2 stge colder NGKs
Thanks for the help!
Old 06-12-2007, 03:36 PM

Tune, not the sensors themselves...
Old 06-12-2007, 03:49 PM

You guys see someting in the tune we dont?
Old 06-12-2007, 03:49 PM

That's been my thinking ever since we started having problems. My only issue is where do I start? What settings in the tune may need to be changed? Is there anything we're not scanning for that we need to be scanning for?

I mean, with the ported blower we've lost about 2-3lbs of boost which is to be expected. Also, do you guys have a 2 bar or 3 bar MAP? Not that this should be a problem but just wondering. (GM blessed us GP guys with only a 2-bar...then again, anything above 18 psi on stock heads and head bolts blow out our head gaskets so....)
Old 06-12-2007, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by shaunmcdee
You guys see someting in the tune we dont?
PM 06blackg85ss. Paul is your best bet to get this resolved. I'm still a newbie when it comes to tuning. Sorry I couldn't be more help...
Old 06-12-2007, 04:42 PM

What is it about the name Paul? LOL I had a friend named Paul grown up...could read the paper at the age of like four. The best tuner I know in the GP world is named Paul...now the tuner we need to contact here is named Paul?

I need to appologize to my son for not naming him Paul apparently. LOL

Will do and thanks for the help! Shaun, you can PM him since it's your car. LOL
Old 06-12-2007, 05:06 PM

Ya dude, your way late hes already been pmed
Old 06-12-2007, 05:48 PM

Oh yea!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?

Well...YOU'VE NEVER HAD CHILIE!!!!!!!!!!

(This is so going to be a WTF moment for some...)

Anyway, let me know what happens. May want to post it here too so that way if there is ever someone else having the issue they'll have the resource.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:08 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
checkin the tune out now... but I am leaning towards something not being connected or a pinched wire somewhere

don;t see anything wierd with it.... hmm.. do a code scan again for me... accidently erased the other pm

Last edited by 06blackg85ss; 06-12-2007 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-12-2007, 06:54 PM

well, when i was running without the MAP sensor connected i got
P0098
P0107
P1182
P1183
C0896
U1050
U1064
U1016
U1000

NOW THATS IT RECONNECTEDI RESCANNED AND IT COMES UP WITH

U1000
C0896
C0899
U1064
U1016
U1000
Old 06-12-2007, 07:01 PM

Hows your exhaust??? I have noticed that when I have had leaks in the exhaust it causes me to bog and buckle when I shift

Quick Reply: bogging problem