Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

transmission clunking?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Question transmission clunking?

lately my tranny has been feeling like it's a bit loose or something. When i shift and let the clutch out it makes a small clunk like there is slack in it. when i shift slow or smoothley i don't hear it... but it's really bugging me. i know the transmissions are supposed to be a bit loud but i've never noticed this before. should i check for a broken tranny mount? otherwise it still shifts fine and the car drives great... just can't stand the small clunk when i shift :/ it's not the sound of the linkage or other noises you normally hear ... it actualy seems like there is something moving when a load is put on it...any ideas? car goes in for service AGAIN this weekend to attempt to diagnose the noise the car has been making for weeks... not tires or brakes... i'm thinking drivetrain and am hoping that the two dealerships who checked my car and said it was ok to drive without further damage weren't wrong and it caused this new noise to start ... and if they were they had better honor my warranty :/
Old 11-03-2009, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think i have the same thing, i wish i knew what it was
Old 11-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Banned

Ah, the joy of owning a Cobalt
Old 11-03-2009, 09:44 PM

My car makes a clunking noise sometimes when I shift into reverse.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise when you let out the clutch? Normal.

Most of us believe it's the clutch smacking the flywheel. When you shift slow or smooth, it engages smooth without a hard grab, but let the clutch out too quickly and it'll clunk/slap because it grabs hard and slaps.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Daddy
lately my tranny has been feeling like it's a bit loose or something. When i shift and let the clutch out it makes a small clunk like there is slack in it. when i shift slow or smoothley i don't hear it... but it's really bugging me. i know the transmissions are supposed to be a bit loud but i've never noticed this before. should i check for a broken tranny mount? otherwise it still shifts fine and the car drives great... just can't stand the small clunk when i shift :/ it's not the sound of the linkage or other noises you normally hear ... it actualy seems like there is something moving when a load is put on it...any ideas? car goes in for service AGAIN this weekend to attempt to diagnose the noise the car has been making for weeks... not tires or brakes... i'm thinking drivetrain and am hoping that the two dealerships who checked my car and said it was ok to drive without further damage weren't wrong and it caused this new noise to start ... and if they were they had better honor my warranty :/
My new 'Balt SS does the exact same thing you describe. Not a loud clunk, but noticeable. If I'm very smooth with letting out the clutch, I don't hear it. I figured it's normal since it's been happening since day one (which was a week ago). Is the clunk on yours a new thing? What year and how many miles?

I'd kinda bet I'd be told it's normal behavior. I'm not too worried about it, honestly. Even if it is normal though, it'd be nice to know what it is.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by XStylus
My new 'Balt SS does the exact same thing you describe. Not a loud clunk, but noticeable. If I'm very smooth with letting out the clutch, I don't hear it. I figured it's normal since it's been happening since day one (which was a week ago). Is the clunk on yours a new thing? What year and how many miles?

I'd kinda bet I'd be told it's normal behavior. I'm not too worried about it, honestly. Even if it is normal though, it'd be nice to know what it is.
it's a 2009 SS/TC and i always heard a little clunk but now it seems a bit louder and there is a bit more slack in it... like when ya let off the gas car car jerks a bit back and fourth when then engine slowing puts a load on the drivetrain.. almost like there is a bit of play in the drivetrain... it probably is normal for a drivetrain that is broken in but it just seems worse than when i originally got the car. i don't drive the car too hard.. i have dumped the clutch a couple of times between first and second... but no more than that and it should be able to take it without hurting anything according to the GM mechanic... he said it's a sports car and meant to be driven that way. i have 11,000km on it already going in for service Saturday to investigate the rubbing noise in the front end... then the GMS1 kit install ... and then away for the winter :/

Last edited by Cobalt_Daddy; 11-04-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:14 PM

I have an automatic 2006 Pontiac Pursuit. Recently, I tried to start my car and it wouldn't catch. Finally when it did, I went to put my car in Drive and it made this horrible sound while shifting from P to D. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 11-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Banned

you're not letting the clutch out at the proper rpms, either to high or too low. I know, i know, everyone knows how to drive. That's why it doesn't happen when you let the clutch out very slowly, that's using the clutch to get the rpms to where they need to be instead of you timing it properly. That's why it happens to new cobalts, old cobalts, and different models. That's why they're not "diagnosing" the noise, because it's normal.

As far as letting off the gas quickly and getting on the gas quickly, with the clunk you get there, it's normal. Ease on and off the gas. problem solved.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
you're not letting the clutch out at the proper rpms, either to high or too low. I know, i know, everyone knows how to drive. That's why it doesn't happen when you let the clutch out very slowly, that's using the clutch to get the rpms to where they need to be instead of you timing it properly. That's why it happens to new cobalts, old cobalts, and different models. That's why they're not "diagnosing" the noise, because it's normal.

As far as letting off the gas quickly and getting on the gas quickly, with the clunk you get there, it's normal. Ease on and off the gas. problem solved.
even letting the clutch out slowly it makes the noise... and i know the clunk is normal for the most part... but it seems more pronounced and the play in the transmission seems to be bigger. it is normal for a car to kind of jitter when you let off the gas because the engine slows the drivetrain but when it click click clicks as the car bucks a bit it feels like something is loose. :/ RPM's do not play a factor in the noise... it is all dependant on the speed of the pedal being let out and the throttle position. i know a click is normal but the extra play in the motion is not.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Banned

even letting the clutch out slowly it makes the noise... and i know the clunk is normal for the most part... but it seems more pronounced and the play in the transmission seems to be bigger. it is normal for a car to kind of jitter when you let off the gas because the engine slows the drivetrain but when it click click clicks as the car bucks a bit it feels like something is loose. :/ RPM's do not play a factor in the noise... it is all dependant on the speed of the pedal being let out and the throttle position. i know a click is normal but the extra play in the motion is not.
so which is it? If you give bad info you're not going to get a good answer. Can you post a video of this? If possible get a video of the tach when this is happening.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by JRelly
My car makes a clunking noise sometimes when I shift into reverse.
Anybody know anything about this?