Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

The Cobalt DTC thread (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed the injen sp7024blk on my 07 malibu. It's made for the cobalt though and it seems as though many of you guys are having the same issue I am. the p0171 error code, I have not yet had time to get to the dealer. I'm hoping they can fix this issue as I had the intake maf mount to match the malibu maf sensor rather than the cobalt one. I had to build an adapter plate as well. I did notice that the cel took a lot longer to come on once I used a silicone sealer for my adapter plate and whatnot. could I have a leaking issue?
Old 05-31-2008, 10:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like it. how are your coupler connectors. do you hear any hissing coming from those points. i would double check all your connections and such.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:46 PM

I didn't hear any hissing. I will have to check again though as you're probably right. I know the intake worked on my buddy's 08 cobalt ls, same intake. and i know the engine's are the same the only difference is my maf sensor, i can't imagine why it wouldn't work. I men the engine bay's are almost identical as far as engine placement and where my intake goes.

Edit: this morning I checked my fittings and everything seems to be in place, could there be a small leak in the exhaust that only seems to matter with a bigger intake? with the stock setup it's good. But I cannot take my intake back to injen as I've milled it out. so I either gotta fix this or maybe sell the intake, It would still work for a cobalt.

Last edited by 07Maliboo; 06-01-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Again, please remember that this is not a trouble-shooting thread. It's designed to let people know that they should get their car scanned when a trouble light comes on and not just guess at what it might be.

That being said, your problem is not strange. The P0171 is probably the most common trouble code on the Ecotec. And since you are now kit-bashing Cobalt parts with a Malibu, it's just going to be all the more likely. I doubt you have any kind of leak, you have simply thrown more air at a system that wasn't expecting it.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:20 PM

you are 100 percent correct. I'm just hoping I can get an ecu update at the dealership or if hp tuners or someone can hop into my ecu and bump the a/f ratio percentage allowance.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:39 AM
I'm old school

Unfortunately, the dealership has no such update for using aftermarket parts. And don't expect them to ever do. And HPT does not support your car. I fear there is presently no ECM programming option for you.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:06 AM

awe damn, looks like stock is my only option. I really don't wanna go back to stock. can't the dealership, who can look at the ecu, just kinda change the characteristic of that one aspect? I've got connections and I'm brothers with the owner, I was just wondering if they could even access that stuff. And isn't my ecm similar to the one in the cobalt with the l61?
Old 06-08-2008, 12:59 PM

I have three codes my CEL is throwing out....P0101.....P0172....and P0068. Well the P)172 from my understanding of reading this is the mixture of air....I do have an Injen CIA so thats explainable. Dont know what the others are..can someone please help
Old 06-08-2008, 07:51 PM
I'm old school

Again, one more time, this thread is not meant to be a trouble shooting thread. So please look at the other threads on the forum for what you need. That being said, here the thread with the info you need:

This is the list for the 2006 cars, but the numbers are conventional across all cars for OBD2 compliance.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12015

P0101 - Mass air flow sensor. You probably installed your sensor wrong when you but your intake on. Or you broke it.

P0172 - You got a "172"? That's weird, that means rich trim. Usually its the "171" lean trim. Anyway, fix problem number one first before dealing with this one. More then likely, fixing problem number one will fix this issue.

P0068 - Throttle Body Airflow Performance. Dude, what did you do when you installed that intake? Stick a shop rag in the pipe? All of these codes are related to an improperly installed intake. Fix that.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:42 AM

cel came on

i hit a bump in the rain onfriday night. the cel came on. and then the next day it went off and then off until today when i got in my car at 10:15 it came back on... any clue why it might have came on??
Old 06-17-2008, 12:28 AM
I'm old school

Please read post number 1
Old 08-22-2008, 03:10 PM

OK regarding the ever so common lean P code from installing an air intake which I have. It comes on for about 500 miles and randomly shuts off for up to a month, as soon as i drive it when its cool dry air. It pops back on. After having the Trifecta tune .. will my problem be resolved 100%
Old 08-22-2008, 03:13 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
That's something you will need to take up with Vince. Just tell him to increase the allowed spectrum of voltage for that code or tune the car correctly and it should go away.

Not a trouble shooting thread though.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:00 AM

AWESOME thread, THANK YOU!! I work for Checker Auto and I use the scanner to check my light every once in a while(always on due to cat-less). I checked it today and there was FOURTEEN CODES!?!?!? However, when I tried to scroll thru and see them it only showed me 2. The ones for the heater thing you mentioned. I erased em and started it up and it had a little trouble idling for a second or two..i turned it off and re-scanned it and 5 codes were throwing but again it only let me scroll through the heater ones. I was FREAKING OUT.

But I know for a FACT that my O2 wire is grounding out i've jut been too lazy to fix it and its blown a fuse or two so this thread calmed my heart GREATLY. THANKS AGAIN!!!
Old 09-07-2008, 12:43 AM

Look what i can do
Old 09-28-2008, 09:43 AM

cyl misfire

Originally Posted by stage2cobaltss
I Got A Question... I Ran Mine And Got 2 Codes.. One Is Running Rich And The Other Is Random Cylinder Misfire... Any Clue? I Have A 06 Ss Sc Stage 2 Aem Inatke,gmpp Exhaust
when i had this random cylinder misfire, my plugs were hit. if you have copper core or E3 or some other soft metal plug, they only tend to last about 10k-15k...i would check into the plugs, they are cheap and easy and it fixed my problem. good luck

ps if your plugs arent firing correctly it could run rich since it isnt burning all the fuel being injected...
Old 09-28-2008, 02:27 PM

ok here is my issue...my light came on and gave me the "engine power reduced" took it to the shop siad my air flow sensor got wet some how (even though im in LA and no rain in months) they gave it back and the light come on now when im driving but thats about it nothing else....it has been in and out of the dealership for the past week....any ideas cuz they dont seem to have a clue...
Old 09-28-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm old school

Originally Posted by 94firebird
ok here is my issue...my light came on and gave me the "engine power reduced" took it to the shop siad my air flow sensor got wet some how (even though im in LA and no rain in months) they gave it back and the light come on now when im driving but thats about it nothing else....it has been in and out of the dealership for the past week....any ideas cuz they dont seem to have a clue...
Yes. As this thread tells you, get it scanned. You need to know what the trouble code is. We can't fix a CEL unless we know why its on. GET IT SCANNED.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:06 PM

Canada Good info even if not for trouble shooting

Saturday I got a CEL while driving home from a service call. Since it was raining cats and dogs I waited until this morning to crack the hood. I found the first silicone sleeve of the GMPP Air cleaner had slipped off. I reinstalled and then came here to see what info I could find.
In looking around I found this thread and others that told me to what I needed and after driving the car 4 times in my normal course of the day the CEL went off.

What I am saying that resources like we have here are great.

A note I am going to look at my old CAI that I had on my Beretta and see if I can use the silicone sleeves from that one to replace the slightly short one from the GMPP kit. I feel that with a heavy foot that the sleeve will pop off again as there is no positive retaining ring on the airbox to hold it in place.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:08 PM

I'm having problems with my CEL coming on after I took it to Autozone to diagnosing the problem and fixing it. What it cam out to be was a MAP sensor fualty. Erased the codes, drove around a while and it came back on. Brought it back to AZ and they ran the diagostics again and came back the same thing. Any idea oon what could be causing my problems and how can I fix it?
Old 12-08-2008, 05:18 PM
I'm old school

Originally Posted by marioc89
I'm having problems with my CEL coming on after I took it to Autozone to diagnosing the problem and fixing it. What it cam out to be was a MAP sensor fualty. Erased the codes, drove around a while and it came back on. Brought it back to AZ and they ran the diagostics again and came back the same thing. Any idea oon what could be causing my problems and how can I fix it?
AGAIN - THIS IS NOT A TROUBLE SHOOTING THREAD!

Next, please proof read before posting.

Now, in order to fix the problem, you have to actually FIX the problem. You can't just clear the code and then expect it to be okay. Could you please tell us what the actual code was? Not that it was a MAP fail, but what the actual code number is.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:22 PM

I'm not asking to troubleshoot anything. All I know is that it cam up as the map sensor as to why my cel is coming on. I've fixed it and it's coming back on. Now what I'm asking is has anyone had this problem or if you know of anything that I probably did. I didn't just clear code and prayed that it would fix it. I know that it's coming on for a reason which is why I went to AZ to get it diagnosed. But I'll see if I could the codes and all post back with it, if I can get it. So stay tuned...thanks!

Ok. I got the code and it is: P0106. Can anyone tell me what this is?

Last edited by marioc89; 12-08-2008 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-09-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm old school

There ya go. Now while most DTC codes are universal, there are always some that are vehicle specific. So you take the code and you go to this thread:

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12015

And you will find this:

P0106 Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor Performance ECM, PCM

Now you have enough information to create a new thread under the "Problems and Service" section. Tell people that you had the code, what you did to actually fix it (did you replace the part?), and that the problem still remains. Then folks will be able to offer you real suggestions. I, for instance, would recommend that if you changed the part and is still not working, to check the wiring harness.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:49 PM

Unhappy missfire

my car run normal until i kick on it.then it misses while im on it .driving normal it is ok . i i can not solve this problem. any help would be great. my mobs are,gm stage 2,injen cai,gmpp catback,2.79 pulley cx racing heat exchanger,stage 2 tune.is it running lean when im on it .it never done this untill i installed the heat exchanger.could this be the problem ? thanks.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:00 PM
I'm old school

Again, and once again....

DID YOU GET IT SCANNED??

WHAT IS THE CODE?

THIS ISN"T A TROUBLESHOOTING THREAD!

And more then likely it's your tiny little pulley on a stage 2 tune.

Quick Reply: The Cobalt DTC thread (merged)