Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Cruise control and the Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise control and the Clutch

I had the car in to the Dealer today to figure out why my cruise control would not engage.

The first time I was in he said the switch was sensitive and that because I was resting my foot on the Clutch it would disengage...

Well aparently, if I rest my foot on the clutch at any time, and then put it on the floor, then try to run the cruise it will not engage either.

If I rest my foot on the clutch and barely move it, it's enough to set off a trouble code in the PCM that will not allow the Cruise control to at any time after that untill the code is cleared...That means that I will be in the dealership every day to get the code cleared.

I had read that someone had them move the switch down farther so you have to push the clutch farther to trigger it....The tech is going to look into that when the new trigger comes in. There replaceing it to see if it was just way over sensitive.

Anyway, I haven't figured out why holding the clutch down at some time early in my trip should have any corespondance with trying to use the cruise control at a later time....

I know that pressing the clutch or brake disengages the cruise, but it should only do that when the cruise is active....

Stupid Chevy....

Anyone got any other answers for this?
Old 03-09-2006, 09:08 PM

yeah...rest your foot off to the side of the clutch instead of on top of it...you wont have the problem anymore, and it's more comfortable.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:16 PM
Banned

Don't ever "rest" your foot on the clutch!! It will lead to a quick death for your clutch, as there's a chance it can slip being that its not fully engaged when there is pressure on the pedal.

Just some friendly advice
Old 03-09-2006, 09:33 PM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pressing the clutch while cruise control is active will disable it. I've messed up my cruise control before with this function.

I let it sit for a night and it was fine the next day.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:53 PM

I don't regularly drive with my foot resting on the clutch but when I run around in town I'm on and off the clutch so much that putting my foot on the floor after every release of the clutch is not practical.....I don't even rest my foot on the clutch heavy enough to disengage or move the actual clutch assembly.

My 94 Z24 will disengage the cruise when I press on the clutch, which is expected....But I don't see why over a 3 hour drive, if I run in and out of traffic for the first ten minutes with just barely resting my foot on the clutch pedal, it should shut the cruise off for the rest of my 2 and 1/2 hours at 80 MPH.....it should only shut off the cruise if the cruise is engaged and I hit the clutch....
Old 03-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SS SChgd
I don't regularly drive with my foot resting on the clutch but when I run around in town I'm on and off the clutch so much that putting my foot on the floor after every release of the clutch is not practical.....I don't even rest my foot on the clutch heavy enough to disengage or move the actual clutch assembly.

My 94 Z24 will disengage the cruise when I press on the clutch, which is expected....But I don't see why over a 3 hour drive, if I run in and out of traffic for the first ten minutes with just barely resting my foot on the clutch pedal, it should shut the cruise off for the rest of my 2 and 1/2 hours at 80 MPH.....it should only shut off the cruise if the cruise is engaged and I hit the clutch....
Good point..I didn't realize that it actually did that, I though it only shut off the cruise until it was re-engaged using the buttons. It shuts it off for a set period of time??
Old 03-10-2006, 09:08 AM

i drive around in the city and never rest my foot on the clutch, but then again i want my clutch to last a long time without posting a thread about how my clutch blew and its a piece of junk meanwhile my foots been resting on it all the time.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:46 PM

I have gotten 100,000 miles out of my last 3 clutches...I'm thinking that the trigger is so sensitive that if I don't lift completely off the clutch (as in just let it out all the way to the top and then press it back down for the next gear) and put my foot on the floor, that it doesn't un link the clutch switch... Anyway, we'l see if I can get the trigger adjusted.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:14 PM
Proud Playstation 3 Owner

i was on my way to the dealer to get mine cruise fixed, when it decided to work for me on the way up there. Hasnt acted up since.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:25 PM

I just got my cruise fixed last week. they showed me a bulliton on touching the clutch while in cruise. it said it will set a code and have to be cleared. I know some people say it will fix its self overnite but mine would not reset.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:17 AM

I just got my car last friday and its doing the same thing. Saturday I had to take my car in because the cruise didnt work and now again today its not working.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:58 PM

they replaced the contact and adjusted it and now it is working correctly, They said that the pressure of the pedal on the contact was setting it off and they couldn't adjust the old switch. ordered a new one and were all good for a week now...I like cruise control.