Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Engine sputter

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine sputter

Hi guys, so I just bought an 07 cobalt ss/SC about a month ago and it has had some issues fRoman the time I bought it. It does seem to have a stage 3 kit from ZZP but I haven't gotten a chance to see what all the car has done.
Anyways, the problems I'm experiencing are the car sputters sometimes in between gears and also everytime when I hit about 4-5k rpms in every gear. Also, some days it will randomly just stall out at a red light when I try to go in 1st gear and then when I start it back up, it will just try to stall out and the rpms try to drop so I have to over Rev just to get it moving. But then 30 min later it will just run "perfectly" fine (as in as it normally does).
If anyone can help me determine what it could be, it would be appreciated! Thank you
Old 02-16-2017, 01:36 PM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
If you aren't throwing any codes it sounds like it's your tune.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
check the fuel pressure when it stalls out and it may be wise to swap in a new fuel filter
Old 02-17-2017, 08:13 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
check the fuel pressure when it stalls out and it may be wise to swap in a new fuel filter
Never hurts to swap in a new filter. When I had a dirty filter and failing fuel pump on my truck the symptoms were similar. On startup I had to wait for the fuel to prime in a sense, if I didn't wait it would have to crank a lot longer. The other symptom was it fell on it's face in the upper RPM range and threw a lean code.

Cam, what do you mean when you say your car sputters in-between gears? You say it also sputters between 4-5k RPM, does it sputter over 5k RPM? Then you say 30 min later it will run fine, does the high RPM sputter also clear up at that time?

Mrbelvedere do you think he should be throwing a lean code or not necessarily? I have never had a bad filter with my car.