Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Experts pls help P0014

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Experts pls help P0014

Hi my friends.... I got this code.... but to be honest I don't have any idea how to fix it...
Engine is running well, just with estrange sound like Honda Vtec over 4500 RPM

Must be homemade.... (no budget for the moment, maybe just for parts)

here is the code....

P0014 "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1) -

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-03-2009, 12:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
First thing you need to do is check your oil level. If you havent changed your oil and filter in the last 2000 miles, change your oil.

If your oil is fresh and full youve most likely got a bad cam actuator solenoid. Make sure the solenoid is plugged in and connection is clean and tight(the exhaust one, one closest to back of motor)

Look and see if any of the harnesses are damaged, beyond these checks......see a dealer.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:12 PM

Thanks, Maven

Ok, I´ll check oil level... I'm using syntetic oil, last oil change was ...... fck men you are rigth... was 12 months ago... my display shows 60% Oil Life.... but I suppose it is too old now....

I will change oil and come back with details.....

any others comments over there...
Old 06-03-2009, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Maven
First thing you need to do is check your oil level. If you havent changed your oil and filter in the last 2000 miles, change your oil.

If your oil is fresh and full youve most likely got a bad cam actuator solenoid. Make sure the solenoid is plugged in and connection is clean and tight(the exhaust one, one closest to back of motor)

Look and see if any of the harnesses are damaged, beyond these checks......see a dealer.
Maven did you get the PM I sent you the other day?
Old 06-03-2009, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tazmanian_Dvl
Maven did you get the PM I sent you the other day?
No, I didnt....I might have been fulllllllll I am at 94% now, LOL. resend it
Old 06-03-2009, 05:13 PM

QUESTION,

what's the meaning of "bank 1" ???

P0014 "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)

Where is the cam actuator solenoid ???

Until I know Ecotec 2.4 use 2 solenoids, one for each Cam.... but how to know which one is bad....

Thanks
Old 06-03-2009, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Maven
No, I didnt....I might have been fulllllllll I am at 94% now, LOL. resend it
OK I resent it...
Old 06-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Premium Member

xTooltipElement
Service Information
2008 Chevrolet Cobalt | Cobalt, G5 (VIN A) Service Manual | Document ID: 1885112
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DTC P0011 or P0014
Diagnostic Instructions
• Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure.

• Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.

• Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category.

DTC Descriptors
DTC P0011: Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance

DTC P0014: Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance

Diagnostic Fault Information
Circuit
Short to Ground
Open/High Resistance
Short to Voltage
Signal Performance

Intake CMP Actuator Solenoid Control
P0010
P0010
P0010
P0011

Intake CMP Actuator Low Reference
--
P0010
--
--

Exhaust CMP Actuator Solenoid Control
P0013
P0013
P0013
P0014

Exhaust CMP Actuator Low Reference
--
P0013
--
--

Circuit/System Description
The camshaft position (CMP) actuator is attached to each camshaft and is hydraulically operated in order to change the angle of the camshaft relative to crankshaft position (CKP). The CMP actuator solenoid is controlled by the control module. The control module sends a pulse width modulated 12-volt signal to a CMP actuator solenoid. The solenoid controls the amount of engine oil flow to a CMP actuator. The CMP actuator can change the camshaft angle a maximum of 25 degrees. The control module increases the pulse width to accomplish the desired camshaft operation.

Conditions for Running the DTC
The engine is running.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
• The control module has enabled the CMP actuator.

• The difference between the desired CMP actuator angle and the actual CMP actuator angle is more than 6 degrees.

• The CMP actuator is steady for 3 seconds.

• The condition is present for 13.5 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
DTCs P0011 and P0014 are Type B DTCs.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
DTCs P0011 and P0014 are Type B DTCs.

Reference Information
Schematic Reference
Engine Controls Schematics

Connector End View Reference
Component Connector End Views

Electrical Information Reference

• Circuit Testing

• Connector Repairs

• Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections

• Wiring Repairs

Scan Tool Reference
Control Module References for scan tool information

Circuit/System Verification
•Ensure the vehicle has the proper oil viscosity.
•Observe the engine oil level. The engine oil level should be within the operating range.
•Allow the engine to reach operating temperature.
•Command each CMP actuator to 25 percent. The CMP actuator angle desired parameter should match the CMP actuator actual parameter.
•Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.
Circuit/System Testing
•Ignition OFF, disconnect the CMP actuator solenoid harness connector at the CMP actuator solenoid.
•Test for less than 5 ohms between the low reference circuit terminal B and ground.
⇒ If greater than the specified range, test the low reference circuit for an open/high resistance.

•Verify that a test lamp does not illuminate between the low reference circuit terminal B and the control circuit terminal A.
⇒ If the test lamp illuminates, test the control circuit for short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

•Remove the test lamp.
•Command the CMP Actuator Sol. ON with a scan tool. Verify the scan tool CMP Sol Ckt Short Gnd Test status is OK.
⇒ If not the specified value, test the control circuit for a short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

•Install a 3A fused jumper wire between the control circuit terminal A and the low reference circuit terminal B. Command the CMP Actuator Sol. ON with a scan tool. Verify the scan tool CMP Sol Ckt Short Gnd Test status is Fault.
⇒ If not the specified value, test the control circuit for an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

•Determine that the vehicle has the correct engine oil. Refer to Service and Appearance Care in the owner's manual.
⇒ If the engine oil life system monitor displays the Change Oil Soon message, the engine oil is more than one year old, contains additives, or is not the correct viscosity, change the oil.

•Test the engine oil pressure. Refer to Oil Pressure Diagnosis and Testing.
⇒ If the oil pressure is low, correct the low pressure first.

•Inspect each CMP actuator solenoid valve assembly for the following:
• Torn screens

• Debris on the screens

• Debris clogging the oil ports

• Missing screens

• Oil seepage at the solenoid connector pins

•Connect a jumper wire between the CMP actuator low reference circuit terminal B at the solenoid and a good ground. Connect a fused jumper wire to the CMP actuator high control circuit terminal A at the solenoid. Momentarily touch the fused jumper to B+. Observe the spool valve inside the CMP actuator. The spool valve should move.
⇒ If movement is not observed, replace the CMP actuator solenoid.

•Inspect the engine timing components. Refer to Camshaft Timing Chain and Sprocket Cleaning and Inspection.
•If all circuits test normal, test or replace the CMP actuator.
Component Testing
•Measure the resistance of each CMP actuator solenoid valve assembly. Resistance should be between 8-12 ohms.
•Connect a jumper wire between the CMP actuator low reference circuit at the solenoid and a good ground. Connect a fused jumper wire to the CMP actuator high control circuit at the solenoid. Momentarily touch the fused jumper to B+. Observe the spool valve inside the CMP actuator. The spool valve should move from fully closed to fully opened position.
Repair Instructions
Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification after completing the diagnostic procedure.

• Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement

• Camshaft Position Intake Actuator Replacement

• Camshaft Position Exhaust Actuator Replacement

• Control Module References for replacement, setup, and programming
Š 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by MexG4
QUESTION,

what's the meaning of "bank 1" ???

P0014 "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)

Where is the cam actuator solenoid ???

Until I know Ecotec 2.4 use 2 solenoids, one for each Cam.... but how to know which one is bad....

Thanks
Well you dont know if one is bad, go change your oil first of all.....then clear code, if it comes back then check the things I mentioned, the solenoids are the 2 things sticking up out of valve cover near passenger side of engine, like I siad its the exhaust, or rear one. Bank one means bank one.....since youve got an inline there is only one bank of cylinders so no worries, a v6 would also have a bank 2.

Originally Posted by rukkee
xTooltipElement
Service Information
2008 Chevrolet Cobalt | Cobalt, G5 (VIN A) Service Manual | Document ID: 1885112
---------------------

• Control Module References for replacement, setup, and programming
Š 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
All that is great but none of it does any good when the OP didnt understand where they were and missed were I specified it was the exhaust one, its also hard to do circuit checks without a schematic and proper terminal probes, and of course lets not forget OP needs an oil change and that is the most likely cause.

A for effort.

Last edited by Maven; 06-03-2009 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-03-2009, 09:01 PM

maven do you ha AIM or Yahoo Messenger?
Old 06-18-2009, 01:24 PM

Hey guys, I just recently had this code come up, and about a week after I got the code my car started sounding like its straining at about 4000rpm. Also I have a Vibrant dp and header, and usually at 4500rpm it has a really deep tone, but now its quiet like stock. Are these symtoms the result of a bad cam position sensor? My oil is clean and the level is correct also.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:20 PM

Those symptons are the result of the VVT not functioning, it defaults when it sets the code.

Most likely cause of the code if it isnt oil related is the actuator solenoid.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:10 PM

so I guess that would explain the quiet exhaust and slight loss of power then. Is it harmful to run the car like this? because I have been for over a week. Thanks Maven

Someone tell me I'm not crazy. I have the Haynes repair manual, and its telling me that the cam position sensors are on the back of the cylinder head on the drivers side for the 2.4. I thought they were the two sensors that are side by side on the passengers side of the valve cover. Am I looking at the right sensors?

Last edited by Smiles; 06-18-2009 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-18-2009, 10:51 AM

Hey guys,

My car are still having symptons of the VVT not functioning, but Sporadically, it stops after the oil change two months ago....

but now is back, no codes until now.... at 4500rpm it has a really deep tone Sporadically.....
Old 08-18-2009, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by MexG4
Hey guys,

My car are still having symptons of the VVT not functioning, but Sporadically, it stops after the oil change two months ago....

but now is back, no codes until now.... at 4500rpm it has a really deep tone Sporadically.....
and what is your oil like now?
Old 08-19-2009, 08:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the lsj have these same 2 sensors on it and where are they located at if it does?
Old 08-19-2009, 08:21 AM

Why don't you take it to the dealer instead of wasting your time here.

They are qualified to fix it and can do so for free..
Old 11-07-2009, 01:35 PM

Hi,

Solved, after change the exaust solenoind.....

Was cheappest the solenoind than Syntetic Oil change....